Tell Techno.

Started by Techno, 22 August 2018, 01:30:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

OK...... :)

Davy (Westie)....The bigger one in the clip....Could  be. :-\....Tho' the fuselage I saw looked a fair bit more 'stretched' and 'thin'...and it was so slow and relatively quiet....and so I assumed it had props, because of the fact it didn't scare the 'poop' out of our sheep and the outside horses as it flew over so low.

I've seen F-16s, 17s, 1001s (whatever  ;)) do practice strafing runs at one of the farms 'across' the road......That was fun watching them 'bomb' Val and Eddies's farm as they looped up and down 'the valley'

The Hercules that Martin (?) has linked to is roughly the right shape, apart from the very front, around the cockpit, which looked more streamlined. (Is the Hercules the one in 'Westie's' clip ?)

DAMN !....I wished I'd had the camera, and taken a piccy. X_X

Quote from: O Dinas Powys on 02 July 2019, 04:43:11 PM
Is the sea range still used off Aberporth?  What do they use to tow the targets?

Meirion....I didn't know there was anything there ! ;)

Yours in frustration.....Phil.

Ithoriel

Citizen, The Computer has identified what you saw as a weather balloon. The Computer is your friend! ... Do you doubt The Computer? Report for Termination, Citizen.

:) :) :) :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Westmarcher

;D ;D ;D   Like it (especially the 'swamp gas' one)!

Quote from: Techno on 02 July 2019, 05:12:28 PM
The Hercules that Martin (?) has linked to is roughly the right shape, apart from the very front, around the cockpit, which looked more streamlined. (Is the Hercules the one in 'Westie's' clip ?)

Link to the Hercules:-

https://www.raf.mod.uk/aircraft/c-130j-hercules/
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Ithoriel

Slow and quiet sounds way more like a drone than a Hercules if it was as low as you say. A Herkybird is biiiiig and noisy and normally tooling about at around 28,000ft.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Techno

Not that I've ever seen a drone....except on the TV.....My perception is that it was too big for a drone, Mike.

From the Pics that Davy gave a link to......I think it must have been a Hercules, and I just didn't look carefully enough, to take everything in.....I was just so gobsmacked at how low it was.

Thanks Guys !  :)

(I saw a 'weather balloon' once, when waiting in a traffic queue, near Newark. This really bright ball of light streaking across the sky, at high altitude !.....What on earth ?.......Then the sun stopped reflecting off the object........And it turned into a plane !  ;D ;D ;D......Of course it could have bee a 'UFO' switching on stealth technology.  ;))

Cheers - Phil

mmcv

Sometimes those really really big planes can look much closer than they actually are given the size and perspective.

Westmarcher

The RAF's got a spiffy 3d image of their new A400 on their website that you can 'fly' by clicking and dragging. The Herc is getting old and will eventually be replaced by this plane. [click on "View 3D mOdel]

https://www.raf.mod.uk/aircraft/atlas-a400m/  8)
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Techno

Quote from: Westmarcher on 03 July 2019, 09:17:19 AM
The RAF's got a spiffy 3d image of their new A400 on their website that you can 'fly' by clicking and dragging. The Herc is getting old and will eventually be replaced by this plane. [click on "View 3D mOdel]
https://www.raf.mod.uk/aircraft/atlas-a400m/  8)

Now, that's more like how I remember the cockpit area, Davy......But it seems a tad too 'short', perspective wise.....I 'want to stretch it' nose to tail, so the fuselage appears slimmer.

Quote from: mmcv on 03 July 2019, 07:45:26 AM
Sometimes those really really big planes can look much closer than they actually are given the size and perspective.

This could very well be true, 'M'.......I mean.....If my eyes weren't deceiving me...(which they probably were).....I really can't see how it didn't smack into the ridge, above me.

I really must take the camera out with me more often !

Thanks again, chaps - Phil

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

You not got a smart phone ?
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno

Here ? :o :o :o :o

No....Not remotely worth it to have a decent smart phone, Ian...(and you can extract the urine on this point, and I won't throw another wobbly.)

At Techno Towers we have direct line of sight to a 300 foot mast on the ridge opposite.....about half a mile distant, on the other side of 'the valley'.

As far as a TV signal is concerned......We're (apparently) too close. :o :o :o :o.......Eh ? What ?.......But the TV works fine.

You can't get a decent signal for a mobile phone, unless you drive half way to the local village......When you're 'up high', and pick up a signal from another mast.

Cheers - Phil

Westmarcher

03 July 2019, 03:21:27 PM #190 Last Edit: 03 July 2019, 03:23:30 PM by Westmarcher
Quote from: Techno on 03 July 2019, 10:09:27 AM
I really must take the camera out with me more often !

Yes. Please do. And if you get lucky, you might just catch the right bird (and if you do, please be sure to post some pictures) .... :D ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Cg_xa8CEpA

[hint: 3.17]

lowlylowlycook

Is it possible to use WiFi to make calls on a cellphone in the UK?

In some(most) places. Most of Wales and lagre bits of Scotlad have large granite lumps in them which are death to phone signals of any type.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

jimduncanuk

Quote from: ianrs54 on 03 July 2019, 04:24:37 PM
In some(most) places. Most of Wales and lagre bits of Scotlad have large granite lumps in them which are death to phone signals of any type.

IanS

Yeah, isn't great when you go up north you get so much peace and quiet.
My Ego forbids a signature.

Techno

I don't think it's that, so much, Ian.....It's just that there are huge areas out here where there are so few folk around....That the 'providers' don't bother...Because they won't get the revenue.

Quote from: lowlylowlycook on 03 July 2019, 03:50:09 PM
Is it possible to use WiFi to make calls on a cellphone in the UK?

Probably...But not near Techno Towers. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Quote from: Westmarcher on 03 July 2019, 03:21:27 PM
Yes. Please do. And if you get lucky, you might just catch the right bird (and if you do, please be sure to post some pictures) .... :D ;)

Don't get anything like that on the ridge behind us, Davy.  ;)

Cheers - Phil