Tell Techno.

Started by Techno, 22 August 2018, 01:30:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

Blimey !

Cheers - Phil

Leman

Some duff info being bandied around by persons who then claim not to know the period. Phil, if you are researching for sculpting purposes I do know the period, I game the period, and I have it in FOUR scales:

1. The arquebus is a handy weapon and does not require a rest.

2. The musket, 1520 - 1640ish was a heavy weapon and did require a rest becoming lighter in the 1640s, hence ECW figures both with and without a rest.

3. The arquebus could be fired from horseback, hence the term mounted arquebusier.

4. During the Italian  Wars there was an ultra-light artillery piece which looked like a giant musket. It had a wooden three-legged rest, allowing the firer to stand, not like the later machine guns, and required a crew of two.

5. If you want to see the current most accurate figures for the earlier Italian Wars I suggest a look at those produced in 28mm by The Assault Group. Below are some Italian arquebusiers. The arquebus looks pretty handy and no sign or need of rests:

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

SV52

What about petronels then?  :d
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Techno

I'm going to be going with 'Wot Andy sed.'

Thanks, Andy ! :)

Cheers - Phil

Leman

Quote from: SV52 on 23 August 2018, 04:21:09 PM
What about petronels then?  :d
I don't go birdwatching.

SV52

Quote from: Leman on 24 August 2018, 09:12:08 AM
I don't go birdwatching.

I think you're mixing them up with Mother Carey's Chickens.
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

mollinary

Quote from: Leman on 23 August 2018, 03:48:14 PM
Some duff info being bandied around by persons who then claim not to know the period. Phil, if you are researching for sculpting purposes I do know the period, I game the period, and I have it in FOUR scales:

1. The arquebus is a handy weapon and does not require a rest.

2. The musket, 1520 - 1640ish was a heavy weapon and did require a rest becoming lighter in the 1640s, hence ECW figures both with and without a rest.

3. The arquebus could be fired from horseback, hence the term mounted arquebusier.

4. During the Italian  Wars there was an ultra-light artillery piece which looked like a giant musket. It had a wooden three-legged rest, allowing the firer to stand, not like the later machine guns, and required a crew of two.

5. If you want to see the current most accurate figures for the earlier Italian Wars I suggest a look at those produced in 28mm by The Assault Group. Below are some Italian arquebusiers. The arquebus looks pretty handy and no sign or need of rests:

. Now those are what I call potatoes!! Wow! 
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Techno

You OIK !!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cheers - Phil

Orcs

They are not Arquebus's They are 16th Century  SPUD Guns  :)

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Techno

Quote from: Orcs on 24 August 2018, 11:08:40 AM
They are not Arquebus's They are 16th Century  SPUD Guns  :)

Soooooo....You want to be an OIK too, then, Mark.

Well deserved !  ;)

Cheers - Phil

Leman

;D ;D ;D, Spudsa you like-a. Those nifty Italians - way before Pizza Hut!

Techno

I've got another question....(Inspired by the talking book I'm listening to at the mo')

Why do we class a century as 100.....When a Roman Centurion was in charge of 80 'grunts' ?

When did 80 become 100 ?

I need to be told.

Cheers - Puzzled of Wales.

Ithoriel

The Servian Reforms, attributed to the sixth king of Rome (Servius Tullius) in the mid 500's BC, but probably an accretion of bits and pieces of legislation, custom and practice in the 600s to 400s divided the military into centuries of, nominally, 100 men according to their wealth.

I doubt centuries were ever exactly 100, except by chance!

The Marian Reforms of 107BC (named for Gaius Marius) introduced centuries of a more realistic 80 men, again "more honoured in the breach than the observance."

That help any?
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Techno

That's great, Mike !!

Ta for that.  :-bd

Cheers - Phil

Leman

So when you turn 80 next week you will be able to call yourself a centenarian.  :d Keep on truckin' Phil.