paulr

An interesting post Norm :)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Round here its 'somefink' and 'enyfink' both with hard k
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

sunjester

But surely (Don't call me Shirley!) it would be easier for all the English-as-a-2nd/3rd-language users on the internet, if there were rules that everybody adhered to rather than a hodge-podge that changes on a daily basis?

Ithoriel

Whoever told you life was easy? :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Westmarcher

Yeah, at times, "life thucks."  [Cockney or man with lithp?]

"Free mumfs"  [three months or a dose of mumps for nothing?]

"Don't never do that!"  [so, have I to do 'that,' never to do 'that' or always do 'that?']

"Fork handles ......" 

;) :D

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Techno

Sex.

(What rich people have their coal delivered in.)

Right.... another quick question.. What's the right pronunciation of the Roman javeliny thing called a pilum ?

I'd always assumed that it was pill-um.....But now I'm not so sure that it shouldn't be pye-lum.

Having done a bit of 'googling'....the concensus appears to show the latter.....That right ?

Cheers - Phil

Westmarcher

Quote from: Techno on 28 September 2018, 11:46:58 AM
Sex.

(What rich people have their coal delivered in.)

Right.... another quick question.. What's the right pronunciation of the Roman javeliny thing called a pilum ?

I'd always assumed that it was pill-um.....But now I'm not so sure that it shouldn't be pye-lum.

Having done a bit of 'googling'....the concensus appears to show the latter.....That right ?

Cheers - Phil

;D ;D ; ;D Took me a while to figure out the 'sex' one!    :-[

As for how the Romans pronounced Latin, there is a school of thought that Roman Catholic Church Latin is probably the closest, based on the fact that Latin has been spoken in the Church ever since the Church was founded away back in Roman times. So, after consulting Google translate, it appears it is "pee-loom.' Click to the link below, enter the word 'pilum' then click on the loudspeaker icon to hear how it is pronounced in 'modern' Latin (if there is such a thing?).  :-B

https://translate.google.com/?client=safari&rls=en&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&client=tw-ob#la/en/pilum
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

I was going to say PiLAA, as der wuz always lots o dem  ;)
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Leman

One excuse after another. Maybe some of you really are thick. Goodbye.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

FierceKitty

It's certainly clear that the terminal -um in Latin must have been much softer than our final sound in red rum or Where's Mum? It may have been close to a modern Italian -o termination.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

sunjester

All the Roman reenactors I knew always called them pee-la or pee-lurm. And some of them were really OCD on their research!

Orcs

Quote from: Techno on 27 September 2018, 03:55:03 PM
Hi, Bill....If I ever have to order something from a firm I haven't dealt with before....I have to spell my home address phonetically.......Either that, or I let them guess from my postcode, which one's my home addy.

Cheers - Phil....(Yep...Part of my home address is a throat clearing sound.) ;D ;D ;D

Amazon Found you OK  ;D
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Orcs

Quote from: Norm on 28 September 2018, 05:48:26 AM
I'm not sure I like the idea of people being pulled up for phrasing things in a away that are not necessarily correct, yet remains understandable - especially when the person doing the pulling up clearly understands the message, it is all a bit condescending in my view 

I totally agree Norm.  If you understand what the person posting is saying, there is no need to correct them. it is very condescending and in my opinion downright rude, particularly if you do not know if English is their first language, or that they do not have difficulties using the computer. 

By way of an illustration .  You have played a wargame with an opponent. Its been a fun and friendly game with both of you playing fairly and honestly. You then notice his figure painting skills  are below the standard of yours. Would you then start telling him what's wrong with his painting and point out he has use the wrong shade of blue etc etc.  I think not.

If you do not understand the post then by all means ask politely for them to explain further. If you do understand it  accept your written English is better than theirs and move on.

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Techno

Next daft question, Gang.

Throughout the periods, where the sword was the 'main' or secondary weapon of choice....Would a right handed chap always have worn the scabbard on the left hip.
My thought is, that it would be far easier/quicker to reach across your body.

I'm only asking, as I tend to think of all the wee men I make are right handed..But I find that I often want to put the scabbard on the right hip.

If a soldier was carrying a long spear, or similar, in his right hand at the start of a battle.....and he had a large shield being carried on the left arm, would that ever have meant that it would be 'better' to have the scabbard on his right hip, so he didn't have to reach behind the shield ?

Cheers - Phil

Put your fire out Phil, cause der Womans carried theirs on the right for at least 300 years.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021