Black Powder 2

Started by Leman, 22 August 2018, 09:17:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman

Anyone finding the fuss a bit GWish (Given WG's provenance I shouldn't be surprised). Creating a fanfare about Gold covered signed copies and pre-order dates without saying how much this is all going to cost strikes me as a bit odd. Will wait until Warfare to see how it pans out, how it's reviewed, and whether there are any copies at reduced price.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Shedman

As a big fan of the Warmaster games engine: fantasy,ancients and the BKC, CWC & FWC series I bought BP1  with high hopes when it first came out

After playing 3 games of BP I was very dissatisfied with it. I can understand what the authors were trying to achieve but it does nothing for me

I doubt if BP2 will be any different

Orcs

At the Tring Club we tend to play lots of different rules. However one thing we all seem to have in common is that if a rule set works we stick with it.  If a newer edition comes out it has to be significantly better for us to change.  So I expect BP2 will not get a look in

Consequently we are still playing

Fire and Fury Brigade Level
Dsytopian Wars edition 1
AK47 Edition 2
BKC 2  (we may look at BKC 4)
WRG 5th edition Ancients
WRG Gush 2nd Ediotion Rennaisance

No we are not really playing the last two

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Dr Dave

Quote from: Leman on 22 August 2018, 09:17:00 AM
Anyone finding the fuss a bit GWish (Given WG's provenance I shouldn't be surprised). Creating a fanfare about Gold covered signed copies and pre-order dates without saying how much this is all going to cost strikes me as a bit odd. Will wait until Warfare to see how it pans out, how it's reviewed, and whether there are any copies at reduced price.

The normal version will probably retail at £30 like the original, as I understand it. The collector's edition is clearly a clever marketing ploy, which WG are so good at - hence they are one of the biggest games companies out there. The lack of pricing is odd - an oversight hopefully. But you can't buy it online without a price!

We like BP at our club, but I can understand why some folks don't. It does have its issues, but the great thing is the basic framework. If you don't like it, tweak it 'til you do.

Leman

One issue which I hope is fixed is the basic framework. The problem for me is that the basic framework is heavily disguised by the verbiage and lack of rules cohesion, i.e there's a bit about this on page 23, then it crops up again on page 57. Think it is either Hail Caesar of Pike and Shotte where the basic rules were summarised and set out logically at the back. Hopefully the new BP will get this treatment, and also a much more user friendly play sheet that is separate from the book. Spine bending and photocopying a £30 book is not a great ploy.

sunjester

Leman, they may well add a summary at the back, they have done that for the new rules in the Black Powder ACW supplement.

Dr Dave

When I got BP1 the first thing I did was write BP-lite. I read the rules and wrote a word doc as I went summarising the key elements of the rules, not the blurb. I got it down to a 4 page document. That's what I refer to. I even included refs to the pages in the main book.

I've just done the same with Rommel - and got it summarised in 3 pages. I'll do the same with BP2 and pick out the rule differences. There are also a lot more scenarios in BP2 picking out era specific ideas from the supplements that BP1 (being the first book in the series) couldn't do.

Leman

Bloody Hell! Collector's edition £75!!!!

Dr Dave

I've checked and it's ok. You don't have to buy it.  ;D

The normal version is the same price (£30) as the original BP. So WG have declined to put the price up.

Norm

22 August 2018, 09:17:34 PM #9 Last Edit: 22 August 2018, 09:19:44 PM by Norm
the fact that it is being discussed here means the marketing machine is doing something right and raising awareness of product, they are not a £10 million pound organisation by accident.

I am guessing that BP2 will adopt several of the good ideas that have cropped up in the various modules, subtle and easily adopted changes that will make it a better experience.  Hopefully it will be a bit less wordy / flowery, but it is what it is.

There will obvioulsy be an audience for the £75 book and they will no doubt enjoy their spend and I think £30 for a rulebook that you will play often and for several years is OK. There are people paying £18 for a bottle of Vodka (or insert favourite tipple here)  and it just cost me £148 to get a tyre sorted out, so everything is sort of relative, just ask my lad how much a typical night out costs him!!!!!! ..... though I'm happy as I did just snatch a bit of a bargain at HMV, Blondies 'AutoAmerican' on vinyl is down to £13 - Rapture!

Leman

Well, as you say Norm, the £30 version is what I would consider. I would use it mostly as an ACW set long with Glory Hallelujah. But I would still need to see what the gubbins inside are like before shelling out.

Steve J

I will wait and see/read what the differences, if any, are between the two books. Given how often I play BP, I'm most likely to stick with the current version.

Dr Dave

I did ponder Rommel before I bought it. At £32 and 1/2 the size of BP I really thought about it. Plus the actual printed portions are about 1/2 of each page due to the huge borders

Now that I have it I'm content to try the rules. The stats and mechanisms look interesting, but the bttn organisations are way off - especially for the British.

Chad

Have pre-ordered a copy at £26.50. Have always enjoyed playing BP and find the optional additions very useful.

After years of playing many wargames with many rules that were supposed to be the next accurate representation of certain periods, I found BP a refreshing and enjoyable change. Not for everyone but it is what it is.

Ben Waterhouse

Quote from: Leman on 22 August 2018, 05:54:56 PM
Bloody Hell! Collector's edition £75!!!!

There's one born every day....
Arma Pacis Fulcra