Bakewell/Derbyshire Leg of the 2018 GBnUIT

Started by Terry37, 19 August 2018, 09:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry37

The 2018 Bakwell/Derbyshire Leg of the GBnUIT Tournament will be held Saturday 22 September with a 1030 start, Bakewell Derbyshire. Simon Wilson is the Leg Coordinator and can provide any details. Post questions here and we'll answer them or Sion will get in touch with you.

The theme this year is Land of Giants, making a theme army one that has at least one Behemoth element. However, theme armies are not required to join in. 

Hoe to see you there!!!

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

Terry37

03 October 2018, 07:01:54 PM #1 Last Edit: 03 October 2018, 07:03:51 PM by Terry37
The first Leg of the 2018 GBnUIT HOTT Tournament "Land of Giants" has been played – the Bakewell/Derbyshire Leg, hosted by Simon Wilson. Five players participated and from the pictures it sure looks like they had a great time! And there are some really VERY creative armies too (which is a favorite part of the tournament for me seeing all the creativity everyone comes up with). Their armies were Sir Francis drake and the Spanish Armadillo, Mythical Greek, Orcs, Reptilian and Fish'n'pips.

A picture of the attendees. Simon advised that Tim Sharrock – Sir Francis Drake and the Spanish Armadillo won the tournament – Congratulations Tim, and to all for taking part.

They ran a four round tournament so everyone had a chance to play everyone, and then a fifth round where they had to use someone else's army. So not only creative armies, but a delightfully creative approach.

Here are the armies.

Tim Sharrock's wining Sir Francis Drake and the Spanish Armadillo army. Love it!

Benedict Sharrock's exceptionally cool Greek Myth army!

Mark Johnson's awesome Orc army looking like they are out for blood!

Tristan Gale's Lizard man army, which looks ready to take on all comers – don't be shy....step right up!

Simon Wilson's delightful Fish-n-Pips army! Have to love the chariot!

I told you they had some very creative armies and also some very creative names!!!

And now some game action.

Mystical Greek flanking column.

Mystical Greek Behemoth prepares to duel with the Orc Behemoth – that should have been fun! To quote Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome – "Two go in one comes out!"!!!

Mystical Greek attack on Orc Stronghold – Hmmmm?????

Lizard men advance with Behemoth General and  a second Behemoth as well!

Orc Behemoth lays into the Lizardman Behemoth!

Fish-n-Pips army awaits the Orc onslaught and get battered!!! Ouch!

Sir Francis Drake and the Armadillo charge into the Colossus of Rails. No guess as to the outcome!

And of course, a couple of payer shots.

And the game is afoot!!!

Some pretty tense looking faces here! But all friends in the end!

I have to commend Simon for a truly great Leg of the tournament (his first), and extend special thanks to Mark Johnson for opening his home for the tournament and to Tim Sharrock for the really excellent photos. Gentlemen all, a job well done!

Couldn't have had a better kick off to this year's tournament!!! There will be more GBnUIT reports coming in the near future as there are plenty of Legs still to be played.

Terry

"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

fred.

Cool, two pendraken armies too.

Slightly surprised at how small a 'table' HoTT is played on!!
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

lowlylowlycook

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Steve J

Wonderfully themed armies and great that a tournament can be played in someones front room :)

Terry37

Gentlemen,

The board size of 2 feet by 2 feet is one of the beauties of playing HOTT. If you are going to play a double game, i.e. 4 players/armies you just add another board, and for triple armies - another board. I will also say that in double and triple games one aspect of warfare is very obvious - you are so involved in your front that you have no idea what's going on next to you and then all of a sudden your ally is crying for help or you find yourself flanked!!!!! Another befit is the size of the armies and figures it takes, which is not much in this hobby, and a really fun game is maybe an hour!

Terry

TimSharrock

Quote from: lowlylowlycook on 03 October 2018, 07:22:55 PM
That armadillo is adorable!

I have never found another one like it: I spotted it in a Breton toyshop window army years ago, and hit the limits of my French: I could not translate "how much is that armadillo in the window?"

I have found armadillos of different sizes, but never just right.

For a matched pair, I probably want three Armadillos on the Spanish side, and without those i have not thought what the other elements should be.

formally, the behemoth element is "The Lord High Admiral of England, Lord Howard of Effingham, with his prize armadillo
the Capitana, of 1200 tons, commanded by Pedro de Valdez"

FierceKitty

Is that Tim Sharrock, my old fellow-student '83-'85? If so, give him my fond regards, in a double helping so he can pass on half to Alison.

(You might tell him I've named a NMA pike and shot unit after him)
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

FierceKitty

By all that's wonderful, it is! You'll be happy to know I haven't beaten the Awful Green Things once since you introduced me to them in '85.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

TimSharrock

Quote from: FierceKitty on 04 October 2018, 04:28:37 PM
You'll be happy to know I haven't beaten the Awful Green Things once since you introduced me to them in '85.
hmmm, time for another matched pair of HOTT armies I think: Hordes and beast for the green things, but the crew needs more though!

Terry37

Hmmm, not sure what happened to the pictures, but they aren't showing for me????? Do you all see them?

Terry

Terry37

OK, Looks like a Photobucket problem as their site is down. That explains it! Sorry, hope they're back soon.

Terry