The Other Partisan Show

Started by Orcs, 19 August 2018, 09:50:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orcs

It was the first time I have been to this show. Its held at the Newark showground in a single pleasant hall.  Plenty of parking and easy to find.

The show has a good selection of traders.  Most figures seemed to be 28mm. Here wee no 15mm or 10mm manufacturers there. Good selection of Demo and participation games.

the food was relatively expensive (£3.60 for Bacon/sausage bap or Pasty, Drinks £1.40 . Chips £3.00) and was only of an acceptable standard. However this was not run by the organisers so  its probably to be expected.

I had a good day getting one or two bargains.  I also met up with an old feind unexpectedly so this was an added bonus.

It was nice to see Wargames illustrated selling off he figures it had been given for review with all proceeds going to the "Water Aid" charity.

All in all a good show.  Not sure I will go again unless I can get a car share as a 4 hour round trip on your own  is a bit much.

Mark
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Leman

Does sound a bit of a slog if all that's on offer is 28mm.

Fiends, fiends!! I call them friends (to paraphrase Steptoe and Son).
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Steve J

Yep, lack of scale variety certainly puts me off attending a show.

mollinary

Quote from: Steve J on 20 August 2018, 12:04:51 PM
Yep, lack of scale variety certainly puts me off attending a show.

I helped Simon Miller and Ian Notter  put on a 15mm Battle of Magnesia using To the Strongest. There were other games in different scales, including a beautiful rendering of the ECW Siege of Portsmouth in 2mm.  Baccus 6mm were also there as traders, so it was not entirely 28mm. It was a fun and busy show, and we had a great time!

2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Orcs

Quote from: mollinary on 20 August 2018, 06:26:26 PM
I helped Simon Miller and Ian Notter  put on a 15mm Battle of Magnesia using To the Strongest. There were other games in different scales, including a beautiful rendering of the ECW Siege of Portsmouth in 2mm.  Baccus 6mm were also there as traders, so it was not entirely 28mm. It was a fun and busy show, and we had a great time!

I was referring to manufacturers really, there were some excellent games there, but with the exceptions you mentioned  it was nearly all 28mm

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Steve J

I think that siege of Portsmouth game has featured in a magazine in the past few years. Certainly would have liked to have seen it 'in the flesh' as it were.

paulr

Good to hear people enjoyed the show :)

More scale variety would be good but bear in mind that some shows have much smaller numbers of traders
The recent show in Wellington had 4 traders with two of them only there for one of the two days ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Steve J

I think we can forget at how blessed we are on this 'small' island to have so many shows with in relatively easy striking distance.