Fantasy armies for a custom RISK board game

Started by Noktu, 18 August 2018, 11:52:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmcv

Quote from: Noktu on 11 July 2019, 06:46:34 PM
EDIT2: I know you cunning brits will try to make it look like I was being nailed in the ass. Henceforth I will clarify that I was using a nailgun.

You're a wise man!

Noktu

O Dinas Powys

Quote from: Noktu on 11 July 2019, 07:50:46 PM
Quote from: mmcv on 11 July 2019, 07:18:44 PM
You're a wise man!

Apparently I've still got much to learn!

And, truth be told, isn't knowing that the essence of wisdom?  :-B
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

Noktu

15 July 2019, 02:43:28 PM #108 Last Edit: 15 July 2019, 02:54:36 PM by Noktu
Hehe, aye.

I redid all the flags I had previously done. And this time I cut the flags freehand, and also decided it was better to just paint the flags from the beginning. Instead of using printed colours. Here I tried to do "wheat" icon on the flag, as Leffenstein is renowned from their top quality Wheat Beer.

I have to but admire people who can paint pictures freehand, such a battle it was to even get these dots on the flag.

Leffenstein Flags by Atte, on Flickr

Techno

Quote from: Noktu on 15 July 2019, 02:43:28 PM

I have to but admire people who can paint pictures freehand, such a battle it was to even get these dots on the flag.

I expect far more than half of them 'cheat', Atte. ;)

Cheers - Phil

Noktu

Quote from: Techno on 15 July 2019, 03:51:04 PM
I expect far more than half of them 'cheat', Atte. ;)

Cheers - Phil

:D

Hey Phil,

Do you have any tips or tricks regarding flags? At the moment my work order goes like this ->

- Cut the flag (mirror the sides)

- Apply PVA on the inside -> insert flag on the pole (try to get the both sides aligned)

- Apply PVA on the outside to protect the paper from the future and to make a surface to paint on ( Thin coat )

- Paint

Techno

Atte. :)

I've actually painted about a whole three figures in the last 15 years. X_X

Though, I don't know how many of the little men I've 'sculpted' in that time....I've completely lost count.

Flags ?

Hmmmm.....

First of all I'd see if Leon had anything appropriate in the Minibits section..(I bet he has !!)..Because that would be better than anything I could do 'freehand'.

If not.....I'd paint something a good few times bigger than I want.
Photo it, and put on the computer.
'Flop' it on the PC, so I had a mirror image.....Now I've got both sides.

Reduce.....and print.

Then
use your PVA 'tricks'.

You won't have to apply any paint then.

I hope that makes sense......I also hope that someone who 'does'  flags will jump in to give you proper advice !! ;)

Cheers - Phil

paulr

I definitely second printed flags

The only paint I then neeed to apply is to the edges to hide the white paper ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Steve J

You can always over paint printed flags (plenty of free downloads out there), using them as a guide. I think they look better painted than printed, bit it's a matter of how much time and effort you want to put in. I'vve seen over scaled flags on many figures to make them stand out more, which might help?

Noktu

Quote from: Techno on 15 July 2019, 04:44:13 PM
Atte. :)

I've actually painted about a whole three figures in the last 15 years. X_X

Though, I don't know how many of the little men I've 'sculpted' in that time....I've completely lost count.

Phil, how come you're into sculpting but not painting?

Quote from: paulr on 15 July 2019, 08:43:44 PM
I definitely second printed flags

The only paint I then neeed to apply is to the edges to hide the white paper ;)
Quote from: Steve J on 15 July 2019, 09:36:04 PM
You can always over paint printed flags (plenty of free downloads out there), using them as a guide. I think they look better painted than printed, bit it's a matter of how much time and effort you want to put in. I'vve seen over scaled flags on many figures to make them stand out more, which might help?

I think that painting over print is an excellent idea! How come it did not cross my mind at all.

Also, could you point me in the right direction with the free sources available online? For flags.

Okay!

I made some progress on my renewed Medieval world. Here's some images of its inhabitants. (Wanted to up the painting standard on these aswell).

How do you like the bases? I went all in and hope I can continue with this scheme till the very end. Should I get some darker bushes?

We came up with the names for the following factions from beverages.

Factions are as follows:

Crowmoor = Orange/Green

Leffenstein = Blue/white

Spatendorf = Red/white

Somersby = Yellow/Black

13 by Atte, on Flickr

12 by Atte, on Flickr

9 by Atte, on Flickr

11 by Atte, on Flickr

1 by Atte, on Flickr

2 by Atte, on Flickr

3 by Atte, on Flickr

4 by Atte, on Flickr

5 by Atte, on Flickr

6 by Atte, on Flickr

8 by Atte, on Flickr

Techno

Those are wonderful, Atte !!  :-bd

Love the bases, as they are !.....And I think the names of the factions sound perfect.

As to your question. ;)

I just don't seem to have time to paint things, at the moment....Though I'd really like to get back to it at some stage. :)

Sorry...can't personally help you with where to find 'flags'.....But I'm sure someone will be along pretty soon, to point you in the right direction

Cheers - Phil

paulr

:-bd =D> :-bd =D> :-bd

I think the bases look great as they are, darker bushes would add more contrast but may distract from the great painting :) ;)

I tend to search for images of the flag I want and copy it into MS Paint to fiddle with. I tend to work on oversize images and scale down when printing

Sometimes I'll wash flags, before cutting out and gluing, to make them look a bit more natural. I've also added battle damge to some of my AWI flags

This site has quite a few flags simply drawn http://tmg110.tripod.com/warflags.htm

This page is particularly useful http://tmg110.tripod.com/archive.htm
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leman

Lovely figures and the wayside cross is rather nice as well. where did that come from?
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Steve J