Napoleonic

Started by Barbarossa, 16 August 2018, 11:53:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Cook

What did you mean, then, when you said that 1805 French "are not really a commercial option"?  Rhetorical question.  I'm not really interested in the French Revolutionary Wars. 

Ithoriel

As far as most of the gamers I've played with over the last few years have been concerned, the Napoleonic Wars consist of Waterloo, Borodino and The Peninsular War. There may have been some other minor scraps of no importance.

One was even unaware the The Russians and The Prussians were separate entities and not just alternate spellings!

I blame the school system - too much Home Front and not enough Kings and battles :-)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Not Drowning, Waving

At least they could name those battles of significance.
I've met some twenty somethings who had not heard of WWI. More frightening still some knew nothing of WWII... But I guess they would know stuff I don't, so I can't get too carried away...

John Cook

Unsurprising but depressing nevertheless.  As the 70 anniversary of the outbreak of WW2 approaches next month, one of those surveys that appear from time to time showed that British teenagers are largely ignorant of that conflict.  If they don't know about stuff that took place in living memory, there is little chance they will know much about stuff that happened 200 years ago. 

mollinary

Quote from: John Cook on 26 August 2019, 10:57:02 AM
Unsurprising but depressing nevertheless.  As the 70 anniversary of the outbreak of WW2 approaches next month, one of those surveys that appear from time to time showed that British teenagers are largely ignorant of that conflict.  If they don't know about stuff that took place in living memory, there is little chance they will know much about stuff that happened 200 years ago. 

Sorry John, shouldn't that be 80th Anniversary?
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

John Cook

Quote from: mollinary on 26 August 2019, 01:10:20 PM
Sorry John, shouldn't that be 80th Anniversary?

No need to apologise.  Yes it should, as you very well know. 

Zippee

Quote from: John Cook on 25 August 2019, 11:04:04 PM
What did you mean, then, when you said that 1805 French "are not really a commercial option"?  Rhetorical question.

i meant in the context of the broad brush approach of each major nation having three major uniform distinctions - early-mid-late if you like.

And that if then selecting which one of those to produce 1805 French were the least commerically attractive option and would be better folded into a Rev War range

Quote from: John Cook on 25 August 2019, 11:04:04 PM
I'm not really interested in the French Revolutionary Wars. 

Kind of backs up what I was saying

Chad

So if I understand you correctly, because of significant changes in French uniforms for 1805-1807 it is not worth considering the period, even if the changes in Russian, Prussian and Austrian were either not significant or non-existent.

As for 'backing' the French into the Revolutionary period, that would require an even greater range of opposing armies than 1895-07.

John Cook

I'm not interested in the French Revolutionary Wars, in the context of this thread, because it is about the Napoleonic Wars, which the Revolutionary Wars are not and I'm not sure I know enough about them to make a contribution.  In a gaming context I have no interest in Waterloo but I'm not sure what that backs up.
I remain unconvinced by your arguments about the commercial viability of a range of early French figures, mainly because it is subjective.  I concede that you could be right, but the only empirical evidence, I have seen, is that all principal manufacturers of figures, in all scales, all have Third and Fourth Coalition ranges and that is all I have to go on.
Is it time to draw this to a close?

Chad

John

That's fine with me as it is not really going anywhere.

Zippee

fine with me
i don't think its been going anywhere for a while

Barbarossa

Good morning and Happy New Year to you all. I wanted to know if there would be anything new about the Napoleonic period in 2020. Thank you very much. Thank you very much.

Leon

Quote from: Barbarossa on 02 January 2020, 02:41:07 PM
Good morning and Happy New Year to you all. I wanted to know if there would be anything new about the Napoleonic period in 2020. Thank you very much. Thank you very much.

We'll be running a Not-Kickstarter for a Peninsular expansion, around May-June time I think, covering British, Spanish and Portuguese.  We've also got some later French Guard types to get released but I don't have a timescale on that yet.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Sandyfalkirk

Quote from: Leon on 04 January 2020, 08:59:31 PM
We'll be running a Not-Kickstarter for a Peninsular expansion, around May-June time I think, covering British, Spanish and Portuguese.  We've also got some later French Guard types to get released but I don't have a timescale on that yet.

Count me in for that ta much!

Leon

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!