The Mary Rose Saga

Started by SV52, 16 August 2018, 08:55:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

Coo !

Very nice !  :)

Cheers - Phil

Leman

I thought this was a long term project. It's proceeding faster than my short term projects.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

SV52

There will be a lot of friggin' in the riggin' 'friggin this', 'friggen that' just have to avoid the whole friggin' thing gettin' chucked against a wall n >:(

It is a longterm project, just that I've dropped everything else to get it done.  Going to slow down from now on though.
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

paulr

:-bd =D> :-bd

Good luck with the rigging
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Terry37

This is looking so excellent!!!

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

SV52

Still at it, got the main and fore masts done, some of it at the second attempt.  Plus the thread I bought was way too big a diameter in both sizes, back to what was available.

Moving on to the mizzen and jigger which are rigged completely differently from the first two being lateen rather than square rig.  Unfortunate as I had just gotten up to speed on the square stuff   :(

Managing to retain what's left of my sanity. ~X(

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Terry37

At one time I built sailing ship models from plans and in doing the rigging I always waxed the rigging line. This is simple to do, buy a wax block and then just draw the line through it. The wax helped prevent the line form sagging and being affected by humidity changes and did not show. I got the wax block from a model ship company.

You may not want to mess with this step, but I'll offer it as a suggestion anyway.

Your model is looking superb!

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

SV52

Terry, I've used a similar thing here and there in the form of fly-tying wax used to wax the silk used in tying fishing flies.  As an ex trout fisherman and fly tyer the tools, knots and other things have come in handy.

With only the main sheets missing, time to move on to the ratlines

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Steve J

SV52

Rigging's done, some cock-ups on the way:

Here's a scale shot with my pet bear's paw:

Now on to the ratlines  :-SS

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Techno

That is definitely looking DAMN fine !

Cheers - Impressed of Wales.  :)

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Leman

Doesn't half look good though. Went to see the real McCoy back in 1987. Lots and lots of misty spray.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

SV52

Cheers guys.

Sadly the only ship I've seen is the Discovery in Dundee.  Might get to visit the ones down south yet, never know.

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Techno

SV.....

Have you got the most enormous hands ?

I really am starting to struggle with how big/small that ship is.....And getting more and more impressed by the minute.

Cheers - Blown away, of Wales. :o