Request: Pics for Late Medieval command groups

Started by Noktu, 16 August 2018, 07:29:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul.B

Quote from: Noktu on 16 August 2018, 09:04:54 AM

My greatest mistake was to start the hobby using Magister Militum miniatures, they are way bigger than Pendraken/Copplestone/TB line.

And I'm on my way to replace all armies using TB and Pendraken Miniatures.

Interesting that you found this.

While my 10mm collection is primarily Pendraken, I've a few Magister Militum and Copplestone as well and found the MM to be nicely sized and quite compatible with both Pendraken and Copplestone. If anything, I'd say the Copplestone are on the large side, but then it also depends if you're talking historicals or fantasy, as Pendraken's fantasy stuff is quite large.

MM do admit on their site there is some "scale creep" so I wonder if you've just unfortunately picked a few models/packs which are bigger than the rest? I've been quite happy with their Fantasy Dwarfs and historical medieval humans (so far just the 15th c Billmen, but if they're any indication they are fine by me)

Noktu

Quote from: Paul.B on 19 August 2018, 09:05:54 PM
Interesting that you found this.

While my 10mm collection is primarily Pendraken, I've a few Magister Militum and Copplestone as well and found the MM to be nicely sized and quite compatible with both Pendraken and Copplestone. If anything, I'd say the Copplestone are on the large side, but then it also depends if you're talking historicals or fantasy, as Pendraken's fantasy stuff is quite large.

MM do admit on their site there is some "scale creep" so I wonder if you've just unfortunately picked a few models/packs which are bigger than the rest? I've been quite happy with their Fantasy Dwarfs and historical medieval humans (so far just the 15th c Billmen, but if they're any indication they are fine by me)

The MM dwarves are great, but especially their medieval historicals are large compared to other manufacturers in my opinion, or atleast the medieval troops are "well fed" as MM's are more cartoonish. I wouldn't mix them with pendraken in same unit.

Also MM has huge size differences, their vikings look like hobbits compared to other medieval sculpts. But this is due to a different sculptor. But stay alert while ordering from MM.

Paul.B

20 August 2018, 01:25:48 PM #17 Last Edit: 20 August 2018, 01:27:43 PM by Paul.B
Quote from: Noktu on 20 August 2018, 09:15:05 AM
The MM dwarves are great, but especially their medieval historicals are large compared to other manufacturers in my opinion, or atleast the medieval troops are "well fed" as MM's are more cartoonish. I wouldn't mix them with pendraken in same unit.

Also MM has huge size differences, their vikings look like hobbits compared to other medieval sculpts. But this is due to a different sculptor. But stay alert while ordering from MM.

Thanks for the info, I will tread with caution in future, although I was only planning on picking up a limited number of their models.

For what it's worth, here is a pic from my thread of my Pendraken and MM billmen side-by-side. The command group are all Pendraken (Elizabethan range), the chap behind the Drummer is a Pendraken Swiss Halberdier, and the chaps to his left and right, and the fella behind him, are MM 15th c. Billmen. I can see there is perhaps a tiny difference in size, but not enough IMO to look unrealistic or jarring.

Techno

If you hadn't mentioned that, Paul......I, for one, wouldn't have noticed.

Cheers - Phil

Leman

I can't really see it. I have a load of Kallistra and MM figures that were originally going into a 10mm take on the Italian Wars, but are now destined to travel another 20 or 30 years back in time to become Italian Condottiere. Meanwhile the Pendraken and a few Warmaster Empire figures are going to become a very specific representation of Henry VIII's derring do in 1513 - so English, Scots and French. The Spanish (Pendraken Elizabethans) and a few others are now going forward in time to become armies for the early 80 Years War.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Paul.B

Quote from: Leman on 20 August 2018, 03:52:53 PM
I can't really see it. I have a load of Kallistra and MM figures that were originally going into a 10mm take on the Italian Wars, but are now destined to travel another 20 or 30 years back in time to become Italian Condottiere. Meanwhile the Pendraken and a few Warmaster Empire figures are going to become a very specific representation of Henry VIII's derring do in 1513 - so English, Scots and French. The Spanish (Pendraken Elizabethans) and a few others are now going forward in time to become armies for the early 80 Years War.

No doubt I wouldn't dream of using the figures together if I was going for historical accuracy, but as they're for a Warhammer Fantasy setting as Empire, which is deliberately a liberal smorgasbord of late medieval and Renaissance , it works for me :).

Noktu

21 August 2018, 08:06:44 PM #21 Last Edit: 22 August 2018, 12:34:58 AM by Leon
This is how I see the scale difference.

(L-R: Pendraken Dragoon kneeling, MM infantry kneeling, Kallistra Dragoon kneeling, Pendraken Dragoon standing, MM infantry standing, Kallistra dragoon standing)

Source: http://lecoqfou.blogspot.com/2017/05/pendraken-magister-militum-and.html

EDIT: Pic resized

Leman

At least Kallistra market their figures as 12mm. I imagine some people have gone straight to them for the 1914 rules which were 'designed' for 12mm figures. Personally I dug out my languishing 15s for those rules. Perversely my 10s are used for Square Bashing, idesignedi for 15s. Ignore the Spanish exclamation marks. They have decided to turn up today for whatever reasoni

GrumpyOldMan

Quote from: Leman on 22 August 2018, 08:40:04 AM
At least Kallistra market their figures as 12mm. I imagine some people have gone straight to them for the 1914 rules which were 'designed' for 12mm figures. Personally I dug out my languishing 15s for those rules. Perversely my 10s are used for Square Bashing, idesignedi for 15s. Ignore the Spanish exclamation marks. They have decided to turn up today for whatever reasoni

No-one expects the Spanish Exclamationiiii

Leman