Wars We Have Never Heard Of...

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 12 August 2018, 09:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leman

What jolly japes we have had with the US over the years. Doubtless they were banging on about being a patriot again. Horrible term associated with blind nationalistic prejudice. Thank mother nature we don't have it in Britain.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Leman on 12 August 2018, 09:50:35 PM
What jolly japes we have had with the US over the years. Doubtless they were banging on about being a patriot again. Horrible term associated with blind nationalistic prejudice. Thank mother nature we don't have it in Britain.

Only because those who would write it cannot spell it.

Genom

There's an island somewhere in the northern Atlantic or maybe the Arctic that changes hands every year, presumably it must be a war because every year they invade, put up their flag (and pick up a present left for them from the other side) Can't remember the name of it, but it's very polite which makes me think it's Canada vs Norway or something.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Wulf

Quote from: Genom on 13 August 2018, 07:19:30 AM
There's an island somewhere in the northern Atlantic or maybe the Arctic that changes hands every year, presumably it must be a war because every year they invade, put up their flag (and pick up a present left for them from the other side)
While I believe that's literally true, 'a present' does make it sound rather suspicious...

SV52

The Victorian period has a wealth of them.  British forces involved all over the Empire, mainly against dread enemies wielding sharpened fruit.
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Kiwidave

Quote from: Genom on 13 August 2018, 07:19:30 AM
There's an island somewhere in the northern Atlantic or maybe the Arctic that changes hands every year, presumably it must be a war because every year they invade, put up their flag (and pick up a present left for them from the other side) Can't remember the name of it, but it's very polite which makes me think it's Canada vs Norway or something.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/08/world/what-in-the-world/canada-denmark-hans-island-whisky-schnapps.html

Sunray

Quote from: mad lemmey on 12 August 2018, 09:19:20 PM
Just for fun...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aroostook_War

Not unique in North American history.  I remember when I worked in British Colombia, learning from First Nation of a wee US/British stand off on San Juan island in Vancouver Bay. late 1850s.  The only casualty was a pig.

I only remember it because the US commander was a certain  George Pickett - who was to make a name for himself in ACW.

Ithoriel

I'm sure many here know of this but, just in case, ...

"The Anglo-Zanzibar War was a military conflict fought between the United Kingdom and the Zanzibar Sultanate on 27 August 1896. The conflict lasted between 38 and 45 minutes, marking it as the shortest recorded war in history." - Wikipedia
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Ithoriel

While the story that Berwick remained at war with Russia after the end of the Crimean War is at best apocryphal, there have been plenty of other instances of discrepancies between the de facto and de jure cessation of hostilities

http://uk.businessinsider.com/wars-that-were-extended-by-quirks-of-diplomacy-2015-12?r=US&IR=T
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

d_Guy

Here is one from the history of my home state:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Blair_Mountain

It fits into the whole history of the labor movement both in Britain and the US.
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Course the UK, and Commonwealth with Empire is still at war with the greater German Reich, mainly due to no Govt being left to negotiate with. Also the UK has not been legally at war with anyone since 1939, no declarations (Japan in 12/41 may be an exception).
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Wulf on 13 August 2018, 08:57:11 AM
While I believe that's literally true, 'a present' does make it sound rather suspicious...

These are friendly nations - the Present is a bottle of the strong stuff.

Sunray

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 13 August 2018, 06:38:33 PM
These are friendly nations - the Present is a bottle of the strong stuff.

And as the flag raising party departs, a sly old Inuit paddles his kayak purposefully towards the lonely rock. ................Happy Hour in the igloo tonight.  :)