Matchstick fortification

Started by Sandinista, 12 August 2018, 02:48:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandinista

Thought I'd share the gun emplacement I built with matchsticks and polyfilla, the gun platforms are 40mm wide

Cheers
Ian

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Norm

Very good, and something that could easily for the basis of a redoubt feature.

Leman

That's produced a very effective piece of terrain.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Techno

Steve J

Very well made and an effective piece of terrain.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Westmarcher

Well done.  =D>

As everyone can see, matchsticks are very handy and, for some reason, quite effective in providing a good wood effect.  :D

If you can't get what you want from the Pendraken range, I also recommend try making your own. My own redoubts and trench sections are also made with matchsticks (but I used Milliput instead of Polyfilla). If anyone else decides to make their own, I suggest try splitting the matchsticks to make planks and for a less 'machined' look. My first efforts were for 15mm scale but I've since made some more fortification sections for my 10mm collection - in their case, not only did I lower the height of the fortification, I also slightly cut down the length of the matchsticks because I think normal size matchsticks look too big for 'manhandling' by 10mm scale minions.  :D

I've also built a wooden bridge which I made before SCN-BDG2 "Wooden Bridge" was released (otherwise I wouldn't have made it!). Another option is to use cocktail sticks, of course, but these are too 'smooth' in my opinion and need some shortening, bending, chipping away and 'roughing up' before they start to look like real logs.

If it helps to give anyone any additional ideas, here is a link to photos of a couple of my own efforts (for 15mm scale, alas) augmented by the odd cocktail stick, Pendraken gabions and Pendraken figures (unfortunately, I need other people to post photos for me on this forum):- 

http://honoursofwar.com/thread/344/mortars
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

SV52

"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

jimduncanuk

I'm planning on making army camps in 10/12 mm for To the Strongest using kebab sticks and cocktail sticks.

I'll need to see if I can bring matchsticks into the equation now.
My Ego forbids a signature.

sunjester

Ithoriel

12 August 2018, 02:56:43 PM #12 Last Edit: 12 August 2018, 03:05:06 PM by Ithoriel
Those are really good! Very professional looking.

Works for later periods too. Matchstick protection for my WW2 German MGs below
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Leman

Apparently Jim I am not allowed to access that section. The pictures turned into the blue square question mark.  :-/
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021