The Rescue of Lady Fortescue-Smyth

Started by Leman, 14 August 2018, 01:52:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman

This was another battle in Mike's long-running Terra Ferre C19th imagi-nations saga. This incident was caused by the" kidnap" of Lady Fortescue-Smyth, the rather glamorous wife of the Britannic Empire's ambassador to the Papal States, whilst on route to join her husband in Roma. The perpetrator of this despicable act was the Emir of Malta, known as The Sheik, whose lateen flotilla had attacked her ladyship's paddle steamer as it made it's way across the western Middle Sea.

Loud noises were made in parliament, with much bluff and bluster, by her MP, the right honourable member for Uxbridge, and his loyal supporter, the right honourable Mr. Mees-Rogg, demanding gunboats and a Britannic expeditionary force. Such is the popularity of this pair among the hoi-polloi, that the government felt honour bound to despatch such a force to Malta. Unfortunately the Emir, a semi-autonomous ally of the Caliphate, had requested and received help in the form of a mixed force of Caliphate troops to augment his own small militia force.

Lady Fortesque-Smyth was being "held" in the Emir's villa in central Malta, an incongruous black and white Cheshire mansion, the Emir being a lover of all things Britannic!!! After a successful landing the Britannic force, led by the able General Montgomery, made its way inland to confront the Emir's forces in the proximity of the villa. the ensuing battle led to the "rescue" of her ladyship, but the wily Emir made good his escape.

The battle was fought using the Tin Soldiers in Action rules and Mike's 15mm British home service force and his 1877 Turks, plus Arab auxiliaries as the Emir's militia. Using a couple of white clad Egyptian units, the Emir's rather poor quality personal guard were also included. General Montgomery's force was made up of Britannic infantry and artillery with a naval unit augmented by a battery of Gardener guns.

One of the Emir's bodyguard units was very quickly despatched, as was one of the militia units. The Regular Caliphate troops proved to be of sterner stuff, garrisoning the villa and carrying out a stirring charge against a heavily damaged unit of Highlanders. Unfortunately they were thrown back with heavy loss and their supporting artillery were overrun. Meanwhile the Caliphate cavalry had set themselves up for a mass charge against the naval brigade.

This can be seen on the left. It too proved to be a disaster as the fickle finger of fate played havoc with the dice of war. The remaining cavalry withdrew to play little more in the battle. As can be seen the Britannic troops were relentlessly closing in on the villa. The guns overrun by the Highlanders can be seen in the ploughed field, the next photo showing a closer view:

Despite these set backs the Caliphate still had an entire division of fresh troops to use. It's remaining artillery made short work of the remains of the naval brigade, but the crew was then destroyed by rifle fire. Meanwhile another fresh unit had sized up a Britannic unit to charge, but again this misfired and the Caliphate troops were seen off. Finally Colonel Brutus Lurkio's regiment was in a position to charge the villa, softening up having been carried out by the Britannic Royal Artillery, King Earnest's finest. Fighting through the now burning villa Lurkio's troops found and rescued a rather dazed Lady Fortescue-Smyth and her somewhat dishevelled and grumpy maid, Miss Nora Batty. Colonel Lurkio has been mentioned in despatches. Final photo shows this last attack.

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

Leman

My mistake, those green clad artillery were not King Earnest's finest, but rather a loan from the salt mining kingdom of Saxo.

Steve J

Another lovely looking game and a great bit of background fluff for the scenario :). Bravo!

Leman

I've always been partial to a bit of fluff  ;)

Westmarcher

Quirky ...... eccentric ....... good!  ;D

[Peter Pig British Colonial range?]
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

Quote from: Westmarcher on 14 August 2018, 05:22:04 PM
Quirky ...... eccentric ....... good!  ;D

[Peter Pig British Colonial range?]
Bit of a story there as well. I asked Mike the same questions. The the bulk of the British  line infantry were bought at a show in a mixed bag and were part of a Sudan range - possibly Old Glory. The unit led by Colonel Lurkio is troops from Lurkio's British Home Service range. Mike sought out Peter Pig at Vapnartak to buy some Sudan naval brigade, but unfortunately he had not brought that range with him, but he then found a stall selling Old Glory naval brigade - naval hats rather than the sennet. The bulk of the Turks were from the Lancashire games 1877 range. Doing this type of game does provide the opportunity for a bit of gunboat diplomacy against opposition that in reality was never fought against.

Leman

15 August 2018, 12:19:52 PM #9 Last Edit: 15 August 2018, 12:23:13 PM by Leman
Here is a link to Mike's Britannic Times to see how he recorded the battle.

http://thewargamer.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=maltesefalcon

d_Guy

Clever, clever and - um - clever!  :-bd :-bd
(Nice pics, too).
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Womble67

The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!