Landsknechts

Started by SV52, 08 August 2018, 01:15:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SV52

Got a few as a tester; organ gun and crew, pikmen, swordsmen, halberdiers, command group and arquebusiers:

Wouldn't do an entire regiment but might do a couple of companies.  Showing their age, well below the current sculpt standard.  The drummer has to be my favourite.
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Nice job on those, I do agree, but they do mix well with the Flodden and medieval ranges..
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

petercooman

FierceKitty

Aren't the chaps over on the right matchlockmen? There's a very unambiguous figure carrying a sword in front of him, two-handed.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

d_Guy

I like seeing some of them painted up, SV52, thanks. I have samples as well but not yet sure how to use them. Bright colors seem to be the way.

Kitty, I think they can rightly be called Arquibusiers since at that time it was a more generic term than say a hundred(?) years later. Matchlock is obviously correct as well.
Sleep with clean hands ...

FierceKitty

08 August 2018, 02:31:04 PM #5 Last Edit: 08 August 2018, 02:33:15 PM by FierceKitty
Quote from: d_Guy on 08 August 2018, 02:29:15 PM
I like seeing some of them painted up, SV52, thanks. I have samples as well but not yet sure how to use them. Bright colors seem to be the way.

Kitty, I think they can rightly be called Arquibusiers since at that time it was a more generic term than say a hundred(?) years later. Matchlock is obviously correct as well.

My point is that they're not swordsmen. Wasn't quibbling over the name of the weapon. It looks as if the figures furthest on the right have been painted carrying a blade in their right hands, unless my ageing eyes have betrayed me.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

SV52

Thanks guys.

The group on the right are what's listed as Arquebusiers (LAN5), the weapon is not sculpted very well and the pose is not really suited to the period or weapon, tends in my opinion to be a bit too 'modern'.

Early matchlock gun is probably the best description or pick from harquebus, hacquebut, hagbutt, hachbuss, caliver or umpteen other regional descriptions.  What it isn't is a musket, they came later and were longer, heavier and fired from the shoulder with or without a rest.  The Spanish Tercios used both what they termed arquebuses and muskets later in the 16th century.

The swordsmen are one either side of the flag wagger, the original purpose of these guys (or so I've read) was as colour guards.  I've depicted these as from the early 1500's.

Bright colours are the way with these fellas, it's what they were known for and took pride in, in direct competition to the contemporary Swiss.

Maybe the lords of misrule in Pendraken Towers might some day bring out a new range; I'll be well past it by then though.  :D

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

d_Guy

Oh. I see, Kitty. Makes perfect sense now (I was scanning for a different figure in the pike block with a two handed sword - just assumed I couldn't see it).  I've mentioned before that English is not my first language.  :)
Sleep with clean hands ...

Paul.B

Nice colours  :). I still like these sculpts, have you thought about mixing them with Warmonger's Landsknechts? That's what I'm planning to do anyway.

SV52

Quote from: Paul.B on 08 August 2018, 07:21:48 PM
Nice colours  :). I still like these sculpts, have you thought about mixing them with Warmonger's Landsknechts? That's what I'm planning to do anyway.

Yup, very nice figures there from Warmonger.  Shame abouit the cost, too much for me at $10 for 30 plus $15 shipping.

U.K. agent anyone?

Apologies if another version of this turns up, says posted but wasn't, so did a repeat. ???

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Leman

I had a game this morning set approx 1505 - the Landsknecht arquebusiers played a prominent role, and I did ask if they were swordsmen until I looked more closely and realised the weapon was shouldered with the barrel facing outwards. Personally I think these arquebusiers are more suited to post-1550. They don't look like any interpretation of early Italian Wars that I have ever seen. I shall be employing my own (currently unpainted) in an early 80 Years War army.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Techno

Looking fine, to me.

Cheers - Phil

Paul.B

Quote from: SV52 on 08 August 2018, 08:13:32 PM
Yup, very nice figures there from Warmonger.  Shame abouit the cost, too much for me at $10 for 30 plus $15 shipping.

U.K. agent anyone?

Apologies if another version of this turns up, says posted but wasn't, so did a repeat. ???

I agree the cost is a bit steep and it would be nice to see a UK supplier. At the current price I wouldn't build a whole army out of them, but I would go for a pack or two to mix with Pendraken's to add a bit of variety  :)

GrumpyOldMan

Quote from: SV52 on 08 August 2018, 08:13:32 PM

U.K. agent anyone?

Agreed, what's not to like about pluderhosen  :D. No consolation to anybody but the postage to Australia is even slightly higher

SV52

we'll just have to hope  :D

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!