Fort Foucauld, Tamarasset, Algeria

Started by Shedman, 04 August 2018, 06:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shedman

I wanted a fort for my 1840 Algeria project so I asked my very talented resin modelling friend, Shaun if he could make me one

We googled quite a few images and liked the look of Bordj de Foucauld. A minor detail is that it was built in 1916 so only 80-90 years too late but I can live with that

My criteria was that the towers could hold a 25mm square base, each battlement could hold 3 bases and the courtyard could hold 2 bases

It took him about a month from initial plan to final resin model.

More pictures can be found at http://twomarshals.blogspot.com/p/fort-laperrine-in-10mm.html

d_Guy

That's a very interesting model, Shedman. I'm curious if your friend is interested in making more? While it does not perfectly match the outlying forts at Tangier in 1680 it would serve well enough. The big plus for me is that I use the same 25mm basing. If this is possible please post here or IM me. Thanks - d_guy
Sleep with clean hands ...

lowlylowlycook

Yeah, this looks good and seems quite practical.

Kiwidave

Nice work Shaun/Alan :)

Will you be including the small wall section in front of the entrance (as per the photo of the original)?

Techno

Damn fine piece of kit, that !!  :)

Cheers - Phil

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

sunjester

Very nice indeed! I'd quite like one, but I don't have a use for it....but since when did that stop any of us? ;)

Leman

If you have such a terrain piece you automatically have an excuse for more shinies.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Shedman

@d_Guy

Shaun will be casting more - he will probably be selling them on ebay. I'll be seeing  him tomorrow so i'll ask how much he is selling them for and let you know

@Kiwidave

I decided against it as it looks too modern but was probably right for when it was built

d_Guy

Sleep with clean hands ...

Sunray

This looks an impressive piece of kit.  I really like the fact that it was built to wargame figure base dimensions.   :)

I presume it is a one piece cast?  Would it be possible to (a) cast in four sections and (b) have battle damage substitute sections available ?

Shaun has obviously a lot of talent and I am thinking the addition of damage options would give a better sales return.  They become the "must have" extras.

Most of my big structures- like bridges and some houses  - now boast a damaged version.

Steve J

Shedman

Quote from: Sunray on 05 August 2018, 08:16:09 PM
I presume it is a one piece cast?  Would it be possible to (a) cast in four sections and (b) have battle damage substitute sections available ?

Yes it is a one piece cast

I'll ask Shaun this evening but looking at the model the ramparts are the roofs of the internal buildings so it might be a bit tricky doing damaged sections

However I'm getting him to do North African city walls next. These will definitely be in sections ie gatehouse, tower, wall and will also include breached sections of wall

Sunray

Quote from: Shedman on 06 August 2018, 10:04:35 AM
Yes it is a one piece cast

I'll ask Shaun this evening but looking at the model the ramparts are the roofs of the internal buildings so it might be a bit tricky doing damaged sections

However I'm getting him to do North African city walls next. These will definitely be in sections ie gatehouse, tower, wall and will also include breached sections of wall

I can see healthy interest in such items.  When Shaun sculpts and casts, I for one will look forward to the eye candy!

toxicpixie

Quote from: sunjester on 05 August 2018, 09:30:50 AM
Very nice indeed! I'd quite like one, but I don't have a use for it....but since when did that stop any of us? ;)

What he said!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting