Schleswig-Holstein Dragoons

Started by Leman, 03 August 2018, 07:07:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman

These seem like a bit of an omission from the First Schleswig-Holstein War. The Dragoons have a large Prussian-style steel cuirassier helmet, but no armour, making them quite difficult to proxy, the FPW Prussian dragoons having too small a helmet without the deep neck guard. Besides it seems odd to have the Schleswig-Holstein army minus its own cavalry.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Leon

Isn't that these guys in the Danish range, code SHD8 (Dragoons in helmet):

We had a Danish customer providing all of the reference material for these ranges so the figures should be spot on I'd hope.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Leman

Unfortunately those are not the Schleswig-Holstein dragoons of 1848, those are their Danish opponents. There were two regiments of S-H dragoons who wore a light blue skirted tunic and trousers and a tall steel pickelhaub with extended flexible neckguard, very like and over-sized Prussian cuirassier helmet:

[img]https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiQkcDcq9XcAhUQzoUKHQCdCxsQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pinterest.com%2Fpin%2F776659898214094520%2F&psig=AOvVaw1NfGo6M_xMVAj_wJKbypfy&ust=1533538892802670[img]

I googled this image but don't have the know-how to turn it into a picture.

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leman

The real point is the helmet. If 1870 figures could proxy why bother making the infantry and artillery. The headgear of 1848 may well be a pickelhaub, but it is a very different beast from 1870.

Leon

Ah right, my mistake, you'd mentioned cuirassier helmets so I was looking for something different.  This range was done before I was dealing with the sculptors so I can only think that the FPW Dragoons must have been considered close enough to be a proxy.  There are the different height picklehaubs on the infantry but that's not been carried over into a new cavalry figure.  It might be one for the future, but we'd need quite a few requests for it to become viable I'm afraid.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

xccam

The Prussian infantry have Pickelhaub - might be expensive and a lot of work but you could always snip their heads off to use.

Leman

I've been giving it some thought. The Red Eagle dragoons have pretty big heads. A touch of green stuff to elongate and articulate the neck guard should do the trick. Might also attempt to elongate the spike as well.

Dave Fielder

Romeo and Juliet is a Verona Crisis

Leman

Nothing like a bit of experimentation.

mollinary

Would the Russian Dragoons in CR5, in the Crimean War Range,  not make a decent proxy?
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Leman

Just taken a look at the photos, Andrew. What a great idea, thanks very much. They should make a really good S-H dragoon. Will get Leon to bring a couple of packs to Colours for me.  :-bd

mollinary

Quote from: Leman on 10 August 2018, 07:35:00 AM
Just taken a look at the photos, Andrew. What a great idea, thanks very much. They should make a really good S-H dragoon. Will get Leon to bring a couple of packs to Colours for me.  :-bd

Excellent!  Glad to be of help.

Andrew
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Leman

Just taken a closer look at the Russian dragoons - they are wearing greatcoats. I may well get one pack to do one regiment in greatcoat to differentiate from the other regiment. For that one I intend to use the Prussian cuirassier with a little judicious filing. It looks pretty straightforward to shave down the edges of the cuirass. As this is a project earmarked for after my 15mm WWI I should be able to show my efforts relatively soon.