MiniHammer (Warhammer In 10mm) Empire Project

Started by Paul.B, 03 August 2018, 02:07:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul.B

Hello folks, my first post here.

I'm assembling a force for MiniHammer, which is something that was started on The Ninth Age forums. It's essentially Warhammer Fantasy Battle with massed ranks but played in a smaller scale - intended for 10mm - with the measurements either in CM instead of inches, or with all measurements halved. Was originally intended for The Ninth Age ruleset but people seem to also play it with Kings of War and a few others. Me personally I have my old 3rd/4th edition Warhammer rulebooks from back in the day, so that's what I'm going with!

Anyway, my choice of army is Empire, so I've been plundering Pendraken's Late Medieval and Renaissance ranges (plus a few others) - there's also a few Magister Militum models in there to mix things up.

Also, I've come to MiniHammer from being involved in the Inq28/Inquisimunda/Blanchitsu community, so my preference for painting style and aesthetic is now more towards the painterly, expressive, and in actually going with making the miniatures look like a painting or piece of artwork as part of the look. I've tried to get that into my 10mm models - as far as I am aware I may be the first person to try this at 10mm scale, so I'm not sure if it's worked! I realise it's not everyone's cup of tea, and can be a bit divisive.

I've painted about 100 Halberdiers so far, with another 200 to go, formed up in units of 50 with magnetised movement trays. I've also got some artillery in the works.

So without further babbling, the miniatures....

Golden Company:

Crimson Company:

Cheers!

d_Guy

Very, very stylish units! You are taking very good advantage of the masses that can be created in 10mm but with each figure individual detailed. Bravo!
Welcome to the forum.
Sleep with clean hands ...

paulr

:-bd =D> :-bd

Welcome :-h

A very impressive first post, not a style I've come across before, but it certainly looks effective on mass in 10mm
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Great work, Paul !!

And welcome to the forum.

Cheers - Phil

Steve J

Welcome on board :). Great work and I really like the Golden Company 8)

Leman

Welcome to the forum. Not sure what the words mean but the result is very impressive Wargame units. I would be interested to hear more about this style and how it is achieved as I am intending to produce Flodden armies and C15th Condottiere armies on large bases for To the Strongest and Basic Impetus 2.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

fsn

Welcome Friend B.

TBH, the bit between "my first post here" and "so without further babbling" ... I don't know what that means - which says more about me than it does you.

However, I do like the pictures. For some reason I am reminded of Munch.

Always good to see a new style in the mix.

Welocme again.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

barbarian

I am so glad you posted. Facebook is fine but the posts get lost in garbage and don't staynup a long time so better use a forum to gather your pieces of art.

I love the attempt on this style. I must confess that some more " cutting " colours for some of the equipment could improve the " readibility " of the unit. It's maybe just a matter of painting the staffs of the weapons with a bright colour ?

But this is an impressive work
2015 Painting Competition - Winner!

Ithoriel

First up - welcome to the forum! Hope you enjoy your time here as much as I do.

Secondly, I looked at the pictures then read the text, as I often do.

I was immediately reminded of this

So I'd say you are capturing the style rather well!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

SV52

Hello and welcome.

Neat idea, like the units. 
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Paul.B

03 August 2018, 11:21:34 AM #12 Last Edit: 03 August 2018, 11:36:15 AM by Paul.B
Thank you all for the warm welcome and kind words  :)

Quote from: Ithoriel on 03 August 2018, 10:10:24 AM
First up - welcome to the forum! Hope you enjoy your time here as much as I do.

Secondly, I looked at the pictures then read the text, as I often do.

I was immediately reminded of this

So I'd say you are capturing the style rather well!

Thank you! Yes that's exactly the sort of imagery I'm trying to evoke, so really glad to hear that's how it comes across.

Quote from: barbarian on 03 August 2018, 09:14:58 AM
I am so glad you posted. Facebook is fine but the posts get lost in garbage and don't staynup a long time so better use a forum to gather your pieces of art.

I love the attempt on this style. I must confess that some more " cutting " colours for some of the equipment could improve the " readibility " of the unit. It's maybe just a matter of painting the staffs of the weapons with a bright colour ?

But this is an impressive work

Thanks, yes I tend to just use Facebook, including the MiniHammer page, for viewing other people's work, I don't really like posting my own stuff there as I like to keep my hobby life separate and can't be bothered to make a whole new Facebook account just for miniatures. I do, however, have an Instagram for my hobby stuff if anyone is interested: https://www.instagram.com/frigidus_sanguis/

I agree on the readability issue, it's a tricky balance with the deliberate "monochrome" style. I was quite pleased with the one chap where I added horizontal stripes to the halberd haft which made it pop a bit more, I should probably do more of that but wanted to get them done and move onto the next batch, perhaps I'll go back and tart them up a bit later :).

Quote from: fsn on 03 August 2018, 07:25:22 AM
Welcome Friend B.

TBH, the bit between "my first post here" and "so without further babbling" ... I don't know what that means - which says more about me than it does you.

However, I do like the pictures. For some reason I am reminded of Munch.

Always good to see a new style in the mix.

Welocme again.

Thanks! I do have a habit of waffling and going into esoteric details! Must try to curb that. Glad they reminded you of Munch, indeed if it reminds anyone viewing of any painter working on canvas then it's coming across exactly as intended, which is really pleasing to know!  :D

Quote from: Leman on 03 August 2018, 07:20:22 AM
Welcome to the forum. Not sure what the words mean but the result is very impressive Wargame units. I would be interested to hear more about this style and how it is achieved as I am intending to produce Flodden armies and C15th Condottiere armies on large bases for To the Strongest and Basic Impetus 2.

Thanks! I'd be happy to help with any advice or tips, so ask me anything you want to know and I'll respond here.

In MiniHammer the models are based individually on 10mm by 10mm bases and seated in trays, I adapted that slightly to two models per base on a 20mm frontage by 10mm depth to achieve more or less the same result with half the plucking of miniatures from the tray during games.

That base layout means I'm able to give each model a fair bit of dedicated attention without having to tack them all to strips before basing or the like.

That aside, I'm sure the same painting style could work where many models are glued to the same base.

In terms of the painting, to achieve this kind of look I start off with a white or light grey undercoat and it is mostly a case of building up layers of ink washes in the desired colours, and then highlighting. I don't bother with basecoat colours except for metallics.

Washing onto the light undercoat usually takes a minimum of two layers of ink to get the depth I like. It's basically "staining" the miniature rather than painting, and feels a bit like painting with watercolours.

I highlight either using very lightly drybrushed light grey or off-white (bone/cream), or a mixture of the wash colour with some light grey, cream, or white added - sometimes I'll do both, and sometimes I'll go back and add some more shade or tone down certain areas with washes again.

The metallics are washed with a bit of red (feasibly you could use any colour ink here, I just like the way red looks), then black, then highlighted again with the base colour and another layer of a lighter metal on the raised bits.

The base is just textured paint washed in browns and blacks then drybrushed in a similar way to the models. I then add tufts of 2mm static grass, in this case I go for a dead or dry grass option as it fits with the aesthetic.

Anything else you want to know just ask! :)

Leman

Thanks for that rapid input. I shall definitely give that style a go as it is really appealing and these days I have much more painting time than I used to. Will post an effort at some stage soon.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

barbarian

I'd almost be tempted to use the bare metal for the weapons. So basically just underbase eeverything but the metallic parts.
This technique of painting works well on bigger models, but you need to make the colours pop in 10mm.
Anyways looks great.
You earned a new Instagram follower.
2015 Painting Competition - Winner!