MiniHammer (Warhammer In 10mm) Empire Project

Started by Paul.B, 03 August 2018, 02:07:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul.B

Quote from: barbarian on 03 August 2018, 12:58:01 PM
I'd almost be tempted to use the bare metal for the weapons. So basically just underbase eeverything but the metallic parts.
This technique of painting works well on bigger models, but you need to make the colours pop in 10mm.
Anyways looks great.
You earned a new Instagram follower.

Thanks! Followed you back :).

Hmm, it occured to me perhaps to go back and switch the halberd hafts around - by that I mean the Crimson Company would have gold/pale halberds and the Gold Company would have red ones?

I agree with the need to make them pop - it's something I wrestled with for quite a while before settling on some colour schemes to go with and exactly what techniques to use.

I've gone for a little higher contrast on the shading and highlights than I normally would in 28mm, but again, it's getting the balance for that overall aesthetic.

If I make it too bright, add too many colours, or start turning up the saturation it'll lose some of that John Blanche painting vibe  :-. Still, I'm enjoying the process so far.

toxicpixie

They look ace - I bet the effect on the table top really does look like an '80s John Blanche painting!

Now, is the scenery the same :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Paul.B

Quote from: toxicpixie on 03 August 2018, 05:25:21 PM
They look ace - I bet the effect on the table top really does look like an '80s John Blanche painting!

Now, is the scenery the same :D

Thanks! Yeah I hope it will look that way  :D.

At present there is no scenery, but I will be tackling that eventually. Given the scale I don't find the idea of making a board and some scenery quite as daunting as I usually would - and then the storage is easier too which is my usual worry with scenery.

I've also just finished my first bit of artillery, a Helblaster Volley Gun. The gun is not Pendraken, but rather a Kallistra Organ Gun with a further four barrels (made from plasticard and some greenstuff) added in another deck on top of the existing five barrels of the vanilla model for a total of nine just like GW's model, but without the daft "rotating gun decks" nonsense.

The crew, however, is Pendraken  :D and I also sculpted the additional powder ladle and ramrod, again greenstuff on plastic rod. I have three more of these in the works, plus some Pendraken 12lber cannons to serve as Great Cannons.

It's fun making them into little dioramas either loading or firing :).

petercooman

paulr

Quote from: Paul.B on 03 August 2018, 11:21:34 AM
Thanks! I do have a habit of waffling and going into esoteric details! Must try to curb that. Glad they reminded you of Munch, indeed if it reminds anyone viewing of any painter working on canvas then it's coming across exactly as intended, which is really pleasing to know!  :D

If we all curbed our waffling and discussion of esoteric detail this forum would grind to a halt ;)

You have to mention Centurions regularly to retain FSN/Nobby's attention ;) ;D

Definitely reminded me of a painting on canvas :)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

toxicpixie

That looks the business, eat lead Chaos scum :D

On that, I look forward to seeing some Chaos Scum!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

d_Guy

Quote from: paulr on 03 August 2018, 07:45:30 PM
I think you have it! The palette and highlights seem to give that effect.

Paul B, the organ gun really hits all the points I consider in evaluating a piece (as expressed in a detailed and esoteric exposition elsewhere on the forum) - a great piece of work.
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Techno

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

lowlylowlycook

Your units look fairly amazing.  Very nice!

But I can't imagine doing figure removal at 10mm.

Leon

Welcome to the Forum Paul and nice work as well!

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Paul.B

Thanks everyone  :) :D

Quote from: toxicpixie on 03 August 2018, 09:05:16 PM
That looks the business, eat lead Chaos scum :D

On that, I look forward to seeing some Chaos Scum!

Haha, you may see some in time, although it might be a while. In fact, although I wanted to do this project anyway, another motivator was to enable my brother and I to play warhammer again as we did when we were teenagers, so I fully intend to put together an opposing army. He used to play Dark Elves, but always expressed an interest in Chaos and they do seem likely allies, so maybe I'll do a bit of both.

Quote from: d_Guy on 03 August 2018, 09:33:58 PM
I think you have it! The palette and highlights seem to give that effect.

Paul B, the organ gun really hits all the points I consider in evaluating a piece (as expressed in a detailed and esoteric exposition elsewhere on the forum) - a great piece of work.

Thank you!

Quote from: lowlylowlycook on 04 August 2018, 03:59:02 PM
Your units look fairly amazing.  Very nice!

But I can't imagine doing figure removal at 10mm.

Thanks! Yeah I can appreciate that might be offputting. Of course technically there's no reason why the game can't be played with mutlibasing and just using wound counters.

Admittedly I have not yet played a game, but so far at least in handling the miniatures I don't find it too bothersome. I did try individual basing and that was a pain, but two per base actually makes it a bit more manageable.

Quote from: Leon on 04 August 2018, 11:26:47 PM
Welcome to the Forum Paul and nice work as well!

8)

Thanks Leon! And thank you very much for your excellent and accommodating service with all my faffing over custom orders :D

Quote from: paulr on 03 August 2018, 07:45:30 PM
If we all curbed our waffling and discussion of esoteric detail this forum would grind to a halt ;)

You have to mention Centurions regularly to retain FSN/Nobby's attention ;) ;D

Haha, good to know! Great that it has that effect  8).

Hopefully have another unit of Halberds and the Great Cannons done soon...ish  :)

fred.

Only just catching up on the forum - so probably only going to echo what's already been said!

The units look really good, its great to see a different style / approach to painting wargames figures. And you are going for nice big units, which always look good too. I like the variety of figures you have used too, which is probably needed to get the Warhammer Empire style going.

Looking forward to seeing more.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Shutuphippie

Welcome dude.

I love the mass effects of the units you have painted - looking forward to seeing images of the whole army when you are done
2018 Painting Competition - Winner!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner