15mm BEF opposition

Started by Leman, 02 August 2018, 06:07:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman

After a fair bit of experimentation I finally came up with a reasonable approximation of early war field grey. On reading about the non-fast nature of German dyes at the time I'm not too worried about getting slight differences from one unit to another.

I used the following to get this result:
I based the figures first and then terrained the base with Windsor and Newton Modelling Paste, adding some sand and coarse grit to a few areas while it was still wet. Next I primed the figures using Vallejo White Primer, followed by a coat of Stynylrez Black Primer. I then mixed at approximately 4:1 Americana Slate Grey and Vallejo Green Sky. This does look quite green when it goes on (and indeed can be left like this for jaegers). Next i did the trousers using just the Slate Grey. Then at this stage I gave a good coating of Citadel Nuln Oil Shade. This tones down the green to a much more green grey and also darkens and shades the trousers. At this stage I now do the faces by dabbing Vallejo Flat Flesh on the nose, chin, cheekbones, jawline and ears, followed by Citadel Reikland Flesh Shade. The next bit is the biggest bind with German troops - the red piping, Vallejo Red.I then turn to the back of the figure, ie backpack, beige brown, shelter roll, cavalry red, strapping and trench tool cover, saddle brown (also the ammo pouches and belting on the front of the figures), water bottle and trench tool handle, British uniform' bayonet scabbard and tin on pack, black, tip of scabbard, brass, jackboots, Mahogany sand, rifle, flat brown, muzzle, gunmetal, helmet cover, buff - all these colours are Vallejo. The last thing I do is the hands - again flat flesh and Reikland flesh shade. When finished and dry I give a coat of Vallejo Satin Varnish followed by brown magic wash and finally Windsor and Newton acrylic matt varnish.

Then I move back to the bases. First a coat of Crafter's Choice Yellow Ochre, then a liberal application of Citadel Seraphim Sepia shade. After this a dry brush of Vallejo Tan Yellow and a careful dry brush of the sand and grit with Vallejo Light Grey. I then painted some Vallejo Gloss Varnish into some of the hollows where the sepia had pooled to make wet areas. At this stage the the edge of the bases was done with Miniature Paints Brown Earth. The bases were then completed by adding static grass and some Great Escape Games tufts using PVA.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Steve J

Great work and very tempted by the early part of the war.

Leman

There is ample opportunity for both open warfare and a bit of colour. The German line and jaegers have slightly different coloured uniforms, and the German cavalry retained all their pre-war piping colours. Some of the Russian cavalry retained pre-war coloured trousers, and some even different coloured caps. Austrian cavalry and the whole of the French and Belgian armies still hadn't made it into the C20th as far as colour was concerned. In Belgium it is even possible to have armoured car supported cavalry attacking German uhlans.

The back end of the war is also more open, with the addition of more armour. I was most impressed by the late War German troops featured in the competition.

Leman

Three shots of the next German battalion, again featuring some head swaps, 15mm Peter Pig. My first game of 1914 is that much closer:

Techno

Really lovely stuff, Andy !

Cheers - Impressed of Wales.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

lowlylowlycook

Steve J

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Terry37

Very nice! Just keeps getting better!!!

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

Womble67

The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook