Cheap Optivisor Copy

Started by Orcs, 02 August 2018, 11:52:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ithoriel

Yep, I agree with Phil.

I have the Rolson equivalent, which was a similar price. Never found a use for anything but the lowest magnification lense, though I'm using mine with my specs which makes a difference.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

steve_holmes_11

Checked the manual and the 2 strengths I used were x2 (which had me working a bit too close - tired out the arms) and x1.5 - just right.

I can't see much requirement to go further up the gears.
I'd simply be spotting details or imperfections that were not obvious to the naked eye.

On the other hand, the higher mags might come in handy for other tasks like electronics assembly or threading needles.

Techno

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 10 February 2019, 07:46:20 PM
On the other hand, the higher mags might come in handy for other tasks like electronics assembly or threading needles.

True, Steve  ;)

Or if you were trying to some intricate detail on a 'flat' item.....Perhaps a shield or flag ?

Other than that, I'd give the higher 'mags' a miss. :)

Cheers - Phil

Raider4

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 10 February 2019, 06:25:23 PM
Inspired by Optivisor talk on here, I poked about and placed an order for this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0743BKK6B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

£9.99, worth a punt, I through.

Heh, looks like something from the film Oblivion (just been on on Film4), all white plastic with black techy bits. Glad it works for you, must admit it looks a bit odd to me.

fsn

I ave an optivisor. I gave up using it and use some £1.99 reading glasses.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: fsn on 11 February 2019, 09:37:20 PM
I ave an optivisor. I gave up using it and use some £1.99 reading glasses.

A set of Foster Grants would probably do the same job.
And I may look out for a pair at x2.0 if they're at the £2.00 mark.

The Ten Quid magnifier came with a set of 5 lenses, giving a bit of scope for adjustment.

John Cook

I used Boots reading glasses, 1.5x for painting and 4x for sculpting.  I tried the Optivisor which was OK but not so handy as specs.  They all worked fine and just replaced my normal bifocals.  In the end though, I found the Mk 1 eyeball without any devices still worked best.

The trouble with high magnification is that you end up trying to paint stuff you just can't see with the naked eye. 

I bought one of these some months ago though, which has replaced all previous magnifying devices.  https://www.alwayshobbies.com/tools/lighting-and-magnification/lightcraft-long-reach-slim-line-magnifier-lamp

It has replaced two Anglepoise lamps with daylight bulbs.  The light is superb with excellent coverage and almost shadow-free.  The lens has two magnifications and is there when I need it.   It is just the perfect solution and i can't recommend it highly enough.

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: John Cook on 13 February 2019, 03:20:40 AM
I used Boots reading glasses, 1.5x for painting and 4x for sculpting.  I tried the Optivisor which was OK but not so handy as specs.  They all worked fine and just replaced my normal bifocals.  In the end though, I found the Mk 1 eyeball without any devices still worked best.

The trouble with high magnification is that you end up trying to paint stuff you just can't see with the naked eye. 

I bought one of these some months ago though, which has replaced all previous magnifying devices.  https://www.alwayshobbies.com/tools/lighting-and-magnification/lightcraft-long-reach-slim-line-magnifier-lamp

It has replaced two Anglepoise lamps with daylight bulbs.  The light is superb with excellent coverage and almost shadow-free.  The lens has two magnifications and is there when I need it.   It is just the perfect solution and i can't recommend it highly enough.

Excellent points John.

I'm taking pains to avoid over-detailing now.
Any superpower must be combined with wisdom for best effect.

I've chatted with my short sighted mates, and several of them manage fine with the naked Mk. 1 eyeball for close work.

I inherited the family curse of long sight (Mind you several predecessors were paid his or her majesty's markman's bonus (Or whetever it was officially called)) so it's not all bad.
Being a lifelong civvie, it helps me distinguish bird species beyond a quarter mile.

Back at the painting desk.
I focus on the figures when they're about 4 feet away.
However resolution's not great at that distance (both small and far away in father Dougal parlance).
I suppose I could lobby Leon to stock some extra long handled brushes, as the condition's only going to get worse.

Orcs

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 13 February 2019, 04:51:14 PM
Being a lifelong civvie, it helps me distinguish bird species beyond a quarter mile.

I am long sited as well.

Tts very useful with identifying birds - I can distinguish between a "large chested freckled redhead" and a "black boxed blond" at quite a distance  :)
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Womble67

I use both optivisor and a pair of glasses I got from the chemist, and to be honest I couldn't manage without him

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Westmarcher

Quote from: Womble67 on 14 February 2019, 12:55:57 PM
I use both optivisor and a pair of glasses I got from the chemist, and to be honest I couldn't manage without him

Take care

Andy

Did you send him a Valentine Card today?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Orcs on 13 February 2019, 08:45:56 PM
I am long sited as well.

Tts very useful with identifying birds - I can distinguish between a "large chested freckled redhead" and a "black boxed blond" at quite a distance  :)

I find the latter species increasingly tricky since they've been applying their eyebrows with highlighter pen.

Orcs

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 14 February 2019, 01:48:24 PM
I find the latter species increasingly tricky since they've been applying their eyebrows with highlighter pen.

Yes but they are easy to spot if you gain their trust.  :)
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Womble67

Quote from: Westmarcher on 14 February 2019, 01:10:13 PM
Did you send him a Valentine Card today?

Lol my bad should of been them

The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!