Cheap Optivisor Copy

Started by Orcs, 02 August 2018, 11:52:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orcs

I have become increasingly reluctant to paint without using my Optivisor, which I would highly recommend .cCrrently they retail with a single lens from £27 to £70.

I was looking for a better way to paint on holiday,  preferably glasses that would incorporate both my prescription and a magnifier.

Whilst looking I saw this item below.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MagiDeal-Magnifier-Repair-Optivisor-Welding/dp/B074RZJ6H1/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_201_lp_img_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=S178463H9DHRZ4NYBQD1

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Lens-Head-Band-Magnifier-Optivisor-Eye-Loupe-Watch-Repair-Welding-Head-Visor/262714328538?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

It is I believe a Chinese copy of the Optivisor. However at less than £14 including 3 additional lenses I thought it was worth a go.

While not as small as a pair of glasses if I loose it or it gets broken in my luggage its not a huge loss.

I ordered the ones from ebay.

It arrived this morning.  It is almost an Identical product.

Its frame is identical to the Donegan Optivisor I have , but a seems to be a lighter weight plastic.

It can be adjusted in the same way for size

The tightening screws on the sides are better shaped for tightening the lense part

It comes with 4 lenses which are marked by their magnification. 1.5x , 2x , 2.5x , 3x   - Optivisor ones are marked by their Dioptre rating.  I use the number 3 which is actually 1.75x .  Be aware that as the magnification increases the focal length decreases so you have to work closer to your eyes.

It also has spare pins for attaching the lenses - something that the Optivisor does not (and they are impossible to get).  I have had to replace mine with small nuts and bolts

The lenses are not as well made but seem to do the job.  I have not tried them all but they do seem to have different magnifications. the one I tried 2x seemed fine.They are identical sizes to the Optivisor I have and look like you could interchange them - I have not tried.  I have done no serious test as to the optical quality when compared to my Donegan lenses

Conclusion

If you want to try an Optivisor without paying out serious money to see if you get on with them this might be a good option.  If you just want some different lenses for your existing Optivisor this may also be a good idea

I took chance and bought off Ebay it arrived in just over a week.  If you want more safety in ordering you can order off Amazon but it will cost you an extra £3.

Cheers

Orcs

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Big Gazza

I opted for the dirt cheap option, ready reader glasses from poundland. 4.5 strength at a quid a pop, this then allows me more money for figures  ;D

Ithoriel

I have one of these and find it really useful.

4 lenses, led light (which, to be fair, I don't use), lightweight and easy to flip up out of the way and back down. At less than fifteen quid I thought it well worth the money.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rolson-Tools-60390-LED-Head-Loupe-Magnifier-Visor-Brand-New/291931374665?hash=item43f8774449:g:9wgAAOSwmUdUW6jn
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

ronan

Quote from: Big Gazza on 02 August 2018, 12:28:18 PM
I opted for the dirt cheap option, ready reader glasses from poundland. 4.5 strength at a quid a pop, this then allows me more money for figures  ;D

+1
;D

Sunray

He must have Royal Marine in his DNA !  :)

Orcs

I opted for the dirt cheap option, ready reader glasses from poundland. 4.5 strength at a quid a pop, this then allows me more money for figures  ;D

Afraid that would not work for me they would be a magnified blur. I need my prescription glasses as well

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Leman

I've never tried optivisors.  I use prescription reading glasses to paint.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

ronan

Quote from: Orcs on 02 August 2018, 02:32:32 PM
Afraid that would not work for me they would be a magnified blur. I need my prescription glasses as well

Don't tell anybody, but that's what I also need ...   X_X
I'm ugly when I wear two pair of glasses...   :Ph :-& :-B
;D

Orcs

Quote from: ronan on 02 August 2018, 03:39:39 PM
Don't tell anybody, but that's what I also need ...   X_X
I'm ugly when I wear two pair of glasses...   :Ph :-& :-B
;D

Mrs Orcs says I look like a Mole. - Very rude 

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: Orcs on 02 August 2018, 05:05:52 PM
Mrs Orcs says I look like a Mole. - Very rude 

Try taking the black velvet jacket off ...
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno

As I've mentioned umpteen times before...When making the wee men, I have to use my Optivisor 'over' my prescription glasses.

(I'm VERY short sighted......but for the past 20 years, I've also become 'long sighted' as well.....Don't ask...It doesn't make sense to me either. ;))

I use the lowest magnification lenses.....these 'make' the figures a tiny bit bigger...but more importantly, they mean I can focus on the figure at a much closer distance, which is what I'm after more than anything.

I did invest in the highest magnification lenses, but with those, I found that the depth of field is SO narrow I could only focus on the tiniest part of the model....for example, the nose...And everything else was a horrible blur, which gave me a splitting headache within about 10 minutes.

Never used those lenses, since.

Cheers - Phil

Ithoriel

Yup, optivisor worn over normal glasses for me too.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

mollinary

Just picked up the one mentioned by Ithoriel, £11.90 on Amazon.  Ordered yesterday afternoon, delivered half an hour ago. Seems simple and easy to use, and I like the varied lenses. Very good value.
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

steve_holmes_11

Inspired by Optivisor talk on here, I poked about and placed an order for this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0743BKK6B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

£9.99, worth a punt, I through.

Wandering downstairs for a scheduled hour of painting this afternoon, the doorbell rang and the courier handed me a parcel.
The gadget had arrived - superb timing.
It took about 5 minutes to figure out how it works and find a comfortable position.

I've previously grumbled about my long sight and the difficulties it causes with close work.
As an example, I've been reduced to sticking a blob of paint on the general area of the face because I cannot resolve hairline and features.

The change was remarkable.
I selected the middle lens from a selection of five, and was immediately able to see hairlines, facial features and other fine detail.
Depth of focus is limited compared to reading glasses, but at least there is a tight focus.
I found the first lens was best at about 8", whihc required holding the figures quite high off the table.
Stepping to the 2nd lens (lower magnification) gave me 12" reach, much more comfortable for a long session.

I did wonder whether working at high magnification would cause some problems.
Would my brush motor skills coordinate with the pig picture I was presented?
Would I suffer eye-strain after a short time.

Motor skills - I've struggled when working under a fixed magnifier, but as these move with the head, everything seemed quite natural.

Eye-strain - I was so impressed I spent 2 hours doing the planned painting, and then tidying up a lot of previous work.

So a big win for just under a tenner.

The headset is rather different to the ones I've seen before.
It has a nose rest and ear "arms" like traditional glasses.
I wondered whether this would fit neatly over my reading glasses - it worked for me - having a big nose evidently helps here.
There is an option to replace the "arms" with an elastic wrapper.

The headset comes with 5 lenses, and an integrated lamp that runs from 3 x AAA batteries.
I have some pretty good lighting, so have not used this yet.

So, thanks to all the helpful people on the forum who posted their optivisor experience.
And anybody struggling to pain due to eyesight issues - I'd recommend this product - good value, easy to use and gets the job done.

Techno

Steve.

The one thing you probably want to 'watch' is using the 'higher magnification' lenses.

I permanently use the 1.5x mag lenses when I'm making the wee chaps....It allows me to get closer to the model....and obviously magnifies things a tad.

I have got a 5x pair of lenses...but if I ever try and use those, I end up with the headache from hell.....and feeling queasy, as those lenses have got such an incredibly shallow depth of field.

For example....If I were to use the 5x lenses to do a face on a 10mm figure....I'd be able to focus on 'the nose'... and everything else is just a horrid blur....I find that magnification vomit inducing. ;)

Cheers - Phil