New Wargames Illustrated out with another free sprue

Started by Norm, 30 January 2019, 01:21:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

Feb issue hits the street today and carries a free sprue, you get the choice of 8th Army infantry or Afrika Korps infantry.

The magazine theme is on the inter-war years (1918 - 38)

I have put a photo of the spru up on my COMMANDERS 'this week' page if interested. Tap on the image once to enlarge.

Link
https://commanders.simdif.com/this-week.html

Dr Dave

Warlord 8th Army - so they all have the bayonets fixed on their Enfields. Not like Perry who seem to think it was optional!  ;D

Dr Dave

I know. I'm not convinced that 28mm North Africa is the best scale to be honest. Skirmish gaming the exploits of the Afrika Korps and the 8th Army is a true oxymoron. 10mm all the way for this theatre I think.

kabrank

A shame they did not have some nice photies of the Pendraken interwar vehicles.

More interest in these would be nice and then Leon could look to adding a Lloyd Carrier and Independent to the range

Sunray

Quote from: kabrank on 31 January 2019, 07:57:55 AM
A shame they did not have some nice photies of the Pendraken interwar vehicles.

unfortunately 10mm is still regarded as a minority scale.  I have to agreed with Dave's  comments.  28mm is not the scale for North Africa.    To work you need armour - and spaced out armour - not crowded in like a Nap line of infantry.

Why don't a few of you talented guys send them  battle rep with images ?

Westmarcher

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Sunray

Quote from: Westmarcher on 01 February 2019, 04:39:02 PM
Quite right. (as long as it's not too spaced out .... )  ;)

+ 1   ;D  Lot of tankers I knew were kinda spaced out.  Like their role model was Oddball from Kelly's Heroes.  We reckoned it was due to being buttoned up and recycling each others farts.

They went mad in fresh air.

pierre the shy

Quote from: Sunray on 01 February 2019, 04:04:26 PM
28mm is not the scale for North Africa.    To work you need armour - and spaced out armour - not crowded in like a Nap line of infantry.

Having played a few North African games in 6mm I would agree that 28mm is not the best scale for that theatre.

As for crowded in tanks.....I take it you are you are not a fan of Flames of War/Team Yankee "tank parks" either  ;)
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Sunray

Generally yes-  My late father fought in the Western Desert.  "A tactician's paradise and a quartermaster's hell - a vastness and the space - the room to manoeuvre and exploit the indirect approach.  All these aspects favour 10mm.

However, I recall an article in WI many years ago where a gamer did a role play of an 8th Army Infantry platoon.   The officer "Boy Wonder", the NCO and many of the ORs had names.   They were on a flank - all the big action was "off the table", and they were left with  odd element of  DAK that came their way.  A lot of contrived work to end up with a half track engaging their position, and the "balanced skirmish" that followed.

In real life, they would have pulled out before being overrun and re-grouped on the new line-   The British - unlike the Americans - have a military doctrine to "retreat" in contact. 

Sorry.   In Camberley speak that should read "strategic withdrawal in contact".