A Project of a Different Sort

Started by Terry37, 29 July 2018, 04:07:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry37

Many you have guessed my keen interest in post apocalyptic modeling, and also in my reading and movie viewing. Over the past several months I have gotten to know one of my favorite authors of the genre, and in fact I've read everything he's written to date is about 14 or so books. My favorite is a series called "Hell Divers", so I thought as a surprise I'd make him a little diorama of the main character, Xavier or X, and his dog Miles.  Keep in mind as you look at the pictures that they are both wearing hazmat suits based on their descriptions in "Hell Divers III' due to the Earth being destroyed and polluted by harsh radioactivity from a massive nuclear war (a truly grim thought). The scale is 15 MM, and the figures are both conversions, and in fact Miles was made from a dog figure and a saber toothed tiger figure (anyone ever tried to figure how to put a dog in a hazmat suit!!!!).

The first picture was taken about a week ago with just the front wall made and the brick laid. The other two construction pictures are more recent and show the floor made, the interior Sheetrock wall made and the damage to the building started. The building is to be a public library and as part of the debris and scree scattered about I plan to have some of his books - although they will be really tiny and you'd have to know his book covers to know what they are....but I think he will. The construction site picture I was really fortunate to get because they don't usually allow civilians or photographers in since it is a hard hat area and due to safety and insurance reasons.He doe snot know I am doing this as I will just send it to him with my best wishes as a surprise.

Just thought you all might enjoy seeing it.

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

paulr

=D> =D> =D>

Looking forward to seeing this progress and hearing the author's reaction :)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Norm

What a great idea, nice post. Also impressed that you can model on the floor ...... I don't go down there for fear of not getting up again :-)

Techno

Looking great, Terry. 8)

Cheers - Phil

Steve J

Great stuff Terry and I too wouldn't want to model on the floor, as my back, hips and knees wouldn't take kindly to it!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

That is superb. Really look forwards to the finished result.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fred.

Very cool Terry - you have enough lumber there to build the whole city!
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Terry37

Thanks guys! I have in the past built ship models from scratch/plans, and then stick and tissue models from plans, so a lot of the wood is carry over.  As I keep lots of bits of small metal I cut off when doing conversions - never knowing what use it might be later, I do the same with wood!  As for working on the floor, that is where I have always seemed to do most of my modeling. I do sit at a desk to paint, but prefer the actual modeling on the floor. Of course I change position often - sit, lay, kneel, etc.

So far I've only cut myself twice with the razor blade and sanded only one finger!!!!

I'll keep you posted on the progress and also share Nick's response after I've sent it to him.

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

Terry37

Was able to get some more work done, so here we are with the initial base coats done. Yes, they do look sloppy right now, but at this stage I just want to get the base colors in place, and then I'll go back and clean things up. But after that the real fun begins....I get to start weathering, aging and showing the destruction and damage! The bright blueish gray, which is less so in person will soon take on a grayish brown tone, as this current shade is how it might have looked when new. Hard to see in this shot, but I also stained the hardwood floors inside. Next will be to paint the cement in between the bricks, which  will be monotonous, but necessary, and even after doing it and making it look so nice, I'll be weathering and decaying it as well.

As it gets further along you'll start seeing some plants and stuff that are strictly from the book, so don't be surprised when you see purple and bright blue plant life and red mold - and all very deadly in the book!!!

More soon,

Terry

Duke Speedy of Leighton

2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Womble67

The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Terry37

Finally getting to do some of the fun stuff. It is a very long way from being done, but the bulk of the construction is done. The attached image is after the initial base coat and some special attention to the damaged areas. Next will be some highlights, and variations to the brick and concrete. I'll also add rust to the rebar that is showing, and do some damage staining to the hardwood floors. The interior sheet rock has been given an initial coat of "wall paint", but that too needs to be aged and distressed. Oh, and the rubbed bronze for the window frames has been done. I've also started cutting out the broken glass to go in the windows and will start construction on the damaged double doors and the fallen brick.

More to follow,

Terry

Duke Speedy of Leighton

That is starting to really look trashed, nice one!

Terry37

Had some fun today starting the highlights and doing some of the detailing. It is slowly getting there. I got the rust painted on the exposed rebar, and also did some work on the floor and the Sheetrock. And as you can see, I've started working on the rubble that will be in he area to the left from the collapsed wall.

Hoping to start installing the window glass tomorrow and will continue to work on the rubble and scree.

More to follow,

Terry