Gold Coast regt pack.... Any photos?

Started by jaztez, 23 July 2018, 11:03:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaztez

Hi guys, does anyone have a photo they can post of the Gold Coast regiment pack from WW1 East Africa range?
My historical wargaming site: https://miniaturewar.games

GrumpyOldMan

Quote from: jaztez on 23 July 2018, 11:03:18 PM
Hi guys, does anyone have a photo they can post of the Gold Coast regiment pack from WW1 East Africa range?

Hello jaztez

Look at http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,13648.msg191822.html#msg191822, I was thinking about using them for Vietnamese in 1930s Shanghai  :o

Only one pose for OR, unless you want to cut and glue lampshades to other East Africa or Middle East figures  :D

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

jaztez

25 July 2018, 05:58:08 PM #2 Last Edit: 25 July 2018, 06:05:51 PM by jaztez
Thats great thanks for your help.

I know Leon said this range doesn't make enough to enlarge the poses. It's such a shame when you compare the limited poses to the three or more in the awi packs.

Its a chicken and egg situation I feel. To attract people into a niche period you need to have a good range to attract them and fund it, unfortunately the Kings African rifles and gold Coast figures only being one pose will make it a non starter for a lot of people.

Oh well, good job I do awi as well!

Leon

Quote from: jaztez on 25 July 2018, 05:58:08 PM
It's such a shame when you compare the limited poses to the three or more in the awi packs.

The AWI (and other Clib ranges) are a bit of anomaly really as he's happy to take the lead and research the ranges himself.  The upside is that he likes to do more poses than we'd usually commission, the downside is that he does our work in and around other jobs so it can take a bit longer to get them moulded and released.  Generally these days we'll do two poses plus command, or 3, maybe 4 poses for irregular skirmish types.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: jaztez on 25 July 2018, 05:58:08 PM
Thats great thanks for your help.

I know Leon said this range doesn't make enough to enlarge the poses. It's such a shame when you compare the limited poses to the three or more in the awi packs.

Its a chicken and egg situation I feel. To attract people into a niche period you need to have a good range to attract them and fund it, unfortunately the Kings African rifles and gold Coast figures only being one pose will make it a non starter for a lot of people.

Oh well, good job I do awi as well!

Speaking entirely for myself, I have 2 major concerns when looking at a manufacturer's range.

First is the subjective "Quality" - do I like the way they look.
People differ in what they like, one man's chunky is another's realistic, some dislike disproportionately large heads, while others will applaud the detail of the shako cords on the same sculpts.
I'm amazed at what people will accept as a "Horse" - but hark back to days of photostated catalogues, no illustrations and Hobson's choice.
I like to see a photograph and then go on the basis on "I know what I like".

Equal first is the completeness of the range - are all the troop types I require available.
That Elizabethan English range may be the finest castings in the kingdom, but a note on the shop saying "Cavalry coming soon" is a strong deterrent.
A younger, simpler me has bought half armies form ranges that were never completed.
OK if it's a popular scale and period, where other manufacturer's castings can fill in - otherwise rather annoying.

I have huge admiration for figure manufacturers who stick at the most demanding ranges (Probably Napoleonics and Ancients for the sheer variety - thoough WW2 armour may also stake a claim).

I see pose count as a minor issue compared to the 2 big issues above.
Magister Militum's 15mm ancients manage well with a single pose per figure code (I assume they're commercially successful).
The look is somewhat toy-soldierish, but serves well for chariot age formed infantry - and Ancients players seem quite content to apply a bit of irregular basing for the loose order troops.

Let us not forget that "too many poses" is quite a thing.
Gamers of a certain vintage will recall the frustration of their Airfix Waterloo French and British infantry.
Was I alone in having one battalion armed exclusively with spontoons, and another of men crawling into battle?

jaztez

Each to their own, but to me a skirmish line of infantry doesn't look right all in the same pose.