Help with basing and figures - Lots of questions!!!

Started by Captain Chook, 21 July 2018, 03:19:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Chook

I will soon be getting a few packages of Pendraken and Copplestone miniatures to test out some basing.
When doing command bases, I presume this is meant to be a unit with commander attached.
How do you base something like a flying Nazgul, who would typically be a single figure.  On a large base he may look lonely (poor sole) or would you add some crow or bat swarms?
Same issue with a Gandalf or similar.
The above are only for example, as I am planning to play a Silmarillion themed game, but for certain figures there may be the same issues.

Pendraken and Copplestone make most of what I need.  I am after a wingless dragon.  There are some 15mm scale figures available (Eureka, Khurasan).  Dragons without wings are long and skinny.  How would you fit one on a base that is wide but not deep?
Is the 2:1 ratio of frontage to depth of bases vital?  I understand consistent frontage is important, but is a consistent depth needed?

I also need to find something suitable for Balrogs.  My personal take is that they did not have wings and while they were large, they were not of colossal size.   Beast men or some sort of Chaos Knight?
Werewolves (I think these are separate from and larger than wargs/wolves) are easily found through 15mm miniatures.
Eureka do 10mm eagles.
I might possibly want a Tolkien-style vampire flitting around.

The other problem is 10mm scenery.  I need some suitably elven towers and bridges.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Wow, okay...
Supreme Littleness Desugns and Timecast will cover 90% of your terrain needs, the other 10 will probably involve shopping around (Hovels, The Scene, then keep looking)

Single figures actually look okay, as it makes you think 'Hold up, this one is a bit powerful'. You can always sculpt the base, add ruined walls, boulders, trees etc for variety.

Balrogs, I would be tempted by a 25mm fire demon.
Worms just a matter of looking I'm afraid.

Yann's evil men dragon is curled, so fits the base nicely, otherwise you might need to be a little creative. A tail sticking out won't hurt too much, I'm sure!

Werewolves, they lurk in the ethereal  Undead warband section, or rebel minus do some lovely 15mm scale ones.

Eagles I would keep an eye out for Battle of Five Armies ones, costly, but nice, or eureka
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Chieftain

Hi Captain,

Welcome to Warband!

Quote from: Captain Chook on 21 July 2018, 03:19:55 AM
When doing command bases, I presume this is meant to be a unit with commander attached.

Yes. 

Commanders offer a particulalry rich oppotunity to model a suitably impressive leader and his personal attendants/guards.

QuoteHow do you base something like a flying Nazgul, who would typically be a single figure.  On a large base he may look lonely (poor sole) or would you add some crow or bat swarms?
Same issue with a Gandalf or similar.

Ultimately, this is up to you.
You might want to have the flyer or single figure alone but flying over a well modelled terrain.
For the flying Nazgul, why not have it soaring over a formation of orcs on the base below?  Or accompanied by guards on lesser fell beasts, or as you say, swarms of bats.

QuoteDragons without wings are long and skinny.  How would you fit one on a base that is wide but not deep?

Perhaps model it looking to the side, or curled round some victims?

QuoteIs the 2:1 ratio of frontage to depth of bases vital?  I understand consistent frontage is important, but is a consistent depth needed?

Vital?  No, but if you use deeper bases you need to be aware that this will affect measuring, giving unfair advantage in certain circumstances, but similar disadantage in others.  If you and your opponents are happy with that, go for it!

Have fun.
Chieftain
Official Guru of our Warband rules!

Captain Chook

Quote from: Chieftain on 23 July 2018, 09:31:23 PM

Vital?  No, but if you use deeper bases you need to be aware that this will affect measuring, giving unfair advantage in certain circumstances, but similar disadantage in others.  If you and your opponents are happy with that, go for it!

Have fun.
Chieftain

That's easy, my opponent is me!
Thanks for the replies.

Terry37

Welcome Captain Chook! Yours is a very favorite subject of mine, so I will be following your thread with great interest and look forward to seeing some pictures of finished elements.

Re the wingless Dragon, you can always consider using a winged model and leave the wings off, or remove them if attached. Should not be hard to find one that will fit your base requirement. I play HOTT so am not familiar with the Warband rules and their base requirements/limitations.

I am very interested in how you visualize the werewolves, vampire and the Balrog. The first two I'd like to add to my army, but have never come up with an idea of what they should/would look like.

Big fan of Tolkien, and have read just about everything he's written, plus lots of other related books. I find the book "A Guide to Tolkien's World - A Bestiary" by David Day a big help and useful resource.

https://www.amazon.com/Guide-Tolkiens-World-Bestiary-Metro/dp/B00Z8FBZWY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1532442232&sr=8-2&keywords=guide+to+tolkien%27s+world+a+bestiary

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

Ithoriel

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Raider4

Quote from: mad lemmey on 21 July 2018, 07:45:54 AM

Eagles I would keep an eye out for Battle of Five Armies ones, costly, but nice

Costly, eh?

/looks at box on shelf

Hmmm . . . .

Ithoriel

Pendraken used to do some nice ones, don't know if Leon could still do some as a "special" or if the moulds are so shot that they are lost and gone forever.

I've a couple of units of old GW Man-o-War High Elf eagle riders for my Warmaster High Elves. Possibly arms and legs to get on Evilbay but might be worth checking?

Kallistra have some in their 10mm "Hordes and Heroes" range, under Accessories.

AC2    Giant Eagles - (3 Figs + 3 Bases) £6.00

https://www.kallistra.co.uk

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Captain Chook

Terry 37

This is my take (in 28mm) of a Balrog.

Werewolves for Tolkien were giant wolves inhabited by an evil spirit, so I would use a 15mm  warg for a 10mm werewolf.

Vampires for 28mm are easy.  For 10mm not so easy.  They are not what we normally think of as vampires, but are winged and bat-like.

Tolkien style trolls are also hard to find.

Ithoriel, the jabderwock looks good.  The drafgon looks more cute than scary!

Thanks for the  help.

Ithoriel

For vampires, are Laran Miniatures Erynies a possibility?

https://laranminiatures.bigcartel.com

They do trolls too - armoured and unarmoured.

Terry37

I have the Alternate Armies Jabberwalk and he is a nice figure, but on the small side. Fits nicely on a 40 x 30 MM base. Not really what I would call a Dragon. I am using him for the Lambton Wyrm in my Henry VIII HOTT army. You might want to look at Splintered Light for a nice size and workable Dragoon.

http://www.splinteredlightminis.com/index.html

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

Terry37

In looking at the picture for the Balrog, a Splintered Light Fire Giant would work nicely I would think. Just add the whip. Click on the picture for a larger image.

http://www.splinteredlightminis.com/firegiants.html

Terry

Terry37

Captain Chook, Thanks for sharing your vision of the various characters. I might go back and do some rereading now that you've sparked interest. Unfortunately we are always easily swayed by a movie over what the written word says! I like your thinking!!! I think Magister Militum might have a Vampire figure for you, but I'll have to look for it and will post it when I find it.

Terry

Captain Chook

Yes, I think ornaments are a great way to go.
This chap looks reasonably good, from Eureka, 18mm:

And from Khurasan a not-Glaurung:

The Fire Giants are a good idea.  Possibly a little greenstuff to make them look more bestial.
I even wonder about some of the more human looking beast men.

The Erynies are perfect for vampires, thanks.