Gaming the Silmarillion

Started by Captain Chook, 20 July 2018, 11:51:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Chook

I am new to the forum and have only just purchased the Warband rules.
I have found the Lord of the Rings army lists, but I am more interested in playing in Tolkien's First Age.  The elves, at that time, were far more powerful than those in the LotR lists.  The Noldor, in particular, are immortal and have the might of having lived in Aman.  They are strong in body and spirit.  So, how would you do an army list for these chaps?
The elves were mainly infantry.  Would Melee 3d6, protection 2d6 and Morale 5 be a good start for standard Noldor infantry.  Son's of Feanor may have Fierce trait.
Gondolin may be ML 2d6, PR 2d6, MO 5, Formed, shield wall, resolute.

In the LotR PDF the dwarves seem insanely strong.  Were these based on the books or the movies?

Any thoughts/help would be welcome.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Hello and welcome
Cheiftain will be your best bet for answers here...
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Chieftain

23 July 2018, 09:40:24 PM #2 Last Edit: 23 July 2018, 09:42:14 PM by Chieftain
Quote from: Captain Chook on 20 July 2018, 11:51:29 PM
So, how would you do an army list for these chaps?

I've not done much research into the First Age military.  Are there any good resources available?

QuoteWould Melee 3d6, protection 2d6 and Morale 5 be a good start for standard Noldor infantry.

If you think so, yes.  I'd be cautious about making core troops so powerful though as it means you'll have a small foces at 500pts.  Ideally you should be looking for armies that are between 8-12 units at 500pts.

QuoteIn the LotR PDF the dwarves seem insanely strong.

Yes they are tough individually, but it means they'll have far few units than their opponents and be likely to suffer outflanking, or in certain scenarios lack the abiliuty to achieve objectives.    

QuoteWere these based on the books or the movies?

The books.

Have fun
Chieftain
Official Guru of our Warband rules!

Captain Chook

Thanks, Chieftain.
Yeh, I get the idea of the problem of small forces if core troops are too good, but First Age Noldor are virtual supermen.  They should be far superior to the Dwarves in the LotR list.
Anyway, as I am solo gaming and there are no really hard and fast rules for Tolkien (the man himself changed his views on so many things)  I can really do as I please.

Womble67

The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Captain Chook