Facebook: Friends of the Tank Museum

Started by fsn, 20 July 2018, 01:53:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Insect

I think the slogan on the side of the Boxer is a bit rich, considering it is a European collaboration.
But nice to see our ancesteral heritage from the continent being acknowledged   ;)
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

fsn

A Avro Vulcan leads in 'Vic' formation four English Electric Lightning F.6s during a flight in April 1968, to mark the disbanding of Fighter and Bomber Commands and the formation of RAF Strike Command.

Them were the days when 'planes looked good. :D
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

The archaeologist in me ignored the planes and focused in on the massive crop marks bottom right...
wrong that
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Duke Speedy of Leighton

There's also something in the upper left..
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

pierre the shy

05 April 2021, 12:42:50 PM #425 Last Edit: 05 April 2021, 12:45:33 PM by pierre the shy
Quote from: ianrs54 on 05 April 2021, 09:57:55 AM
How can you ignore Lightnings

You can't really ignore the Lightning in this photo:

https://fearoflanding.com/photography/the-story-behind-an-unbelievable-photograph/

somewhat amazingly the pilot did survive dispite ejecting at very low level and going through the roof of a greenhouse full of tomato plants.....

Looks like the Lightning left its own crop marking where it impacted  ;)
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

fsn

My grandad had a tractor like that.

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

Duke Speedy of Leighton

A Fordson Super Major, very collectable now!

Raider4

Germany still fields tankettes! Looks almost like an upgraded Vickers Light Mk.VI . . .

Love the little bit of plastic to stop it rolling backwards.

Orcs

Decidedly more punch than a Tetrach.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Steve J

It does have something of a tankette look about it for sure.

Raider4

Yeah, it's not that much smaller than our Scorpion/Scimitar vehicles - slighlty 'stubbier', maybe.

I just saw that picture and thought it looked very much like a Vickers ;)

steve_holmes_11

Definately the Vickers / Carden LLoyd look.

I find it hard to take armour that size seriously (Unless it has a Jaguar engine).

Orcs

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 13 April 2021, 01:39:03 PM
Definately the Vickers / Carden LLoyd look.

I find it hard to take armour that size seriously (Unless it has a Jaguar engine).

It probably has a Porsche or Mercedes engine
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

fsn

With the rise of Cold War tensions following the Cuban missile crisis in late 1962, the US conducted "Exercise BIG LIFT" in 1963 to demonstrate its ability to transfer reinforcements to Europe very rapidly if required.  The exercise transferred the personnel of a complete Armoured  Division from Texas to Europe in four days, where they married up with pre-positioned heavy equipment and armour.  As much of the point of the exercise was deterrence, it was highly publicised in the news and media, hence this photo from LIFE magazine

AKA Soviet bomber pilot's dream come true.