Facebook: Friends of the Tank Museum

Started by fsn, 20 July 2018, 01:53:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsn

Having looked at this photo a bit more carefully, I have questions.

That turret does look a bit early war British Cruiser. Doesn't the bottom bit act as a nice shot trap?

Secondly, why does that tank have goosebumps? (Yes, I'd get them too if there was a girl hanging off my 120mm.) I'm assuming it's not rivets ... 'cos we know rivets are bad ... then I thought it was traction grips - but they're on the underside of the turret too - so I assume they're something to do with camouflage(?).

Sunray - please enlighten me.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Westmarcher

I am no expert but could this be removable modular armour attached to the original turret which lurks underneath like the German Leopard tank and designed to collapse, slowing down incoming projectiles especially RPG's?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

fsn

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

fsn

Cromwell tanks assemble for Operation 'Goodwood', 18 July 1944.

Interesting use of camouflage

fred.

Cool photo.

While the front right tank is certainly a Cromwell. What is the front left one? It looks like Sherman lower hull and tracks, but the open front to the 'turret' looks strange. I also wonder if the 3 AFVs in the middle distance of the photo are the same? they seem to have the same flap at the top on the dark area underneath.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Its an M10, with the turret reversed I suspect !
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Westmarcher

Beat me to it. I'm also thinking M10 Achilles with turrets reversed (to provide some shelter over the front hatches?).
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Could still be the Wolverine, cant tell from the angle. Also 4 would indicate an attached SP AT troop.

fred.

Yes, could well be a M10 variant.

The left hand most one is the most confusing, with the shape, and were the chap is. The shape could be the rear. But I'm not sure where the man is. It looks more like an armoured car in many ways - apart fro the tracks. 

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Guy on the vehicle is in the co-drivers hatch

fred.

Ah. In front of the turret then - the dark patches on the turret back, look like open hatches, which was throwing me. It look like the chap was in those.

Westmarcher

The counter-weight at the rear of the turret is shown below and at 0:20 on this video and at 1:13, you can see the same shape of hatch and mudguard.

fsn

07 September 2019, 06:14:55 PM #87 Last Edit: 07 September 2019, 06:17:28 PM by fsn
Jordan unveils underwater museum of military vehicles.
Ninteen decommissioned pieces of military hardware have been submerged at depths of up to 92ft (28m)
The vehicles, imitating a battle formation, have been stationed at a coral reef in the Red Sea.

Local authorities said the display offers a "new type" of museum experience for visiting tourists.

Westmarcher

What will archaeologists and future historians and geologists think when they find these 10,000 years into the future?  ;D

Techno

The human race had managed to develop gills ?  :D

Won't the vehicles all get covered in coral ?...Mind you, there doesn't seem to be much evidence of a reef in those piccies.
I don't think they are decommissioned.....I reckon they're armed with torpedoes...... ready to sink any tankers that go over them.

Cheers - Mr Fake-News (Conspiracy Theorist) ;)