Facebook: Friends of the Tank Museum

Started by fsn, 20 July 2018, 01:53:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fred.

From a bit more googling I think they may well be launch systems about 17s into the below video, then a bit later too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqHuOMFZKCo

Searching for Neblewerfer ammo trailer comes back with closed ones.

There are certainly a few launch systems that are just open crates, rather than the more traditional tube arrangement. Hardly feels that open crates would have given much accuracy, but then again perhaps not really the idea of a WWII rocket system.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

OldenBUA

03 November 2020, 06:05:55 AM #137 Last Edit: 03 November 2020, 06:10:05 AM by OldenBUA
The trailers are the 28/32 cm Nebelwerfer 41, which is a transport and launch system. The vehicle shown is a tracked and armoured transport, and the same chassis was used as a mount for the 15 cm Nebelwerfer launch tubes, as shown in the later picture.
Launching from the crates was quite common for some Nebelwerfer types. A google search for Wurfrahmen should give some examples. Other types are using tubes. Accuracy is never very high in both cases. But the rockets have special vents that give them spin, which helps somewhat.
Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.

paulr

As OldenBUA says a transport and launch system, some more information in the above video at about 6:20
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fred.

From the video Paul links it looks like the crate launched systems have a much lower range c2km rather than 7km for the tube ones. The projectiles also look quite different, which might mean there is a lot less propellant in the crate launched ones.

Most of the pictures I've seen on the crate launchers on carriages, use a carriage with a single joined trail (like a 2cm flak) whereas those in the photo fsn posted have split trails, much more like AT guns or Neblewerfers. May just be a field expedient model. As I did find a photo of the crate launchers attached to the barrel of a field gun!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Ithoriel

There were at least three versions of the rockets, 280mm and 300mm HE and a 320mm incendiary.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

OldenBUA

Yes, and these rockets are very different in shape from the 15cm/21cm rockets that were launched from the well known launchers with tubes shown at the beginning of the video that paulr linked.
They were also attached to the sides of a SdKfz 251 halftrack, in their transport/launch crates. This was known as the 'Stuka zu Fuss', i.e. Stuka on foot. Four of them together on a frame make up the Wurfrahmen launcher. Or six can be transported and launched from those trailers. It's the same rockets every time, just different launch systems.
The amount of propellant in these rockets is about the same for all of them.
Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.

fsn

In the last couple of weeks new pictures have been released of a Challenger 2 with a new prototype camouflage pattern, the pattern officially known as MCDCS-5 (Multi Colour Digital Camouflage System number 5) is an ongoing trial at the ATDU (Armoured Trials and Development Unit) at Bovington. What we know (which isn't a lot) is that the pattern is hand painted by brush and roller and is a mix of Matt and Semi Matt finishes. The work was done by Babcock in cooperation with DSTL (Defence Science and Technology Laboratory).
We think it's pretty cool looking, what do you think?

Well to be honest Gary, I think it's going to be a swine to try and capture in 10mm. Matt and semi matt? What are you trying to do to us?
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno II

I agree, Nobby !

Those do weird things to my eyes  @-) @-)....Which I suppose is more than half the point.
Douglas Adams would probably class those as being covered in a SEP field.

Cheers - Phil :)

Raider4

The Americans have tried that sort of thing for uniforms in the past - not sure if it's still current or if they've moved on/abandoned it.

The Navy guys are wearing it in the Godzilla movie from a few years back (not the Matthew Broderick one!)

fred.

I do look at these "digital" patterns, and wonder why they are done with straight edges and right angles? I get the multiple colours, and the irregular overlapping shapes. But straight edges still stand out.

Also once moving, any vehicle let alone a tank is pretty obvious, and once stationary they tend to add foliage.

It certainly won't be fun to paint on 10mm tanks!

sean66

The Chinese have these Squares and shapes on a lot of their vehicles at the moment.
even their Marines have their Vehicles in various shades of Blue as Camouflage.
Regards
Sean

Matt J

It's for digital combat, minecraft camo
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Well I'm not going to try it on 6mm tanks ! X_X
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Steve J

Aside to being almost impossible to paint, i'm not sure how well it would work at distance, as the colours and tones would tend to blend together IMHO. A good way to tell is to take a B&W photo of it which shows whether the tones blend or not, a trick learnt from my modelmaking days.