Breaking Cover - BKC-IV

Started by Big Insect, 20 July 2018, 11:21:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Insect

Hopefully that has attracted all of your attention  :D

I am 'breaking cover' as the front-man representing one of the groups working with Leon on BKC-IV (the BKC-III rewrite).

I am aware that putting myself out here like this will subject me to a potential deluge of questions - many of which I will not be able to answer just yet.
However, I want to ensure that we have captured and covered off as many of the issues and likes (& there are a lot) from BKC-III and also the errata and omissions from BKC-II before we move towards a final draft of BKC-IV.

As Leon has stated - we are effectively moving back to BKC-II as a starting point and moving forward through a process of Evolution rather than Revolution to BKC-IV.

We have play-tested BKC-III and an updated version of BKC-II over a number of months now (as a club) in a number of different scales and have got our own good view of what we think works and doesn't.
We've also trawled this forum and the old Commander BKC forum for errata, house rules, moans and groan - as well as number of blogs and specific BKC interest groups (yes - they do exist) but we want to ensure that we've picked up pretty much everything we can.
Hence I am approaching you all for your thoughts and suggestions.

To manage expectations - there is still a lot of work to be done - I'm doing this all whilst organizing a daughters wedding and holding down a full-time (& currently) very demanding job. So don't get your expectations up that anything will happen with BKC-IV immanently - but we are (I can reassure you) well advanced in our activities.

What I would ask you all to do is as follows please:

1). Be specific - if you have an example of an error or omission in BKC-II that needs correcting, please provide me with a page number (ideally a cut from the text if possible) and a suggested correction (if possible) - likewise with BKC-III if you have good things you want ported across into BKC-IV let me know (& be precise)

2). I don't need to know your moans about BKC-III (please) - we've picked up a lot of these and have our own list.

3). Please DO NOT send me your army list changes or your Scenario issues - the lists are being dealt with separately and I will start a separate thread about Scenarios.

4). Be honest with yourselves - is the change you are suggesting really important and you've play-tested it thoroughly - not just a "nice to have" on a wish-list or a whim  ;)

So I thank you all - in advance - for your participation and your active help. If you have any complaints about what I'm doing please write to The Management  :P

Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Think most of my input has been put into Leon's various requests on the lists Mark. I would suggest getting rid of the "attributes"  and re-instating assets. I'd like a long look at the lists but Leon seems happy that they are fixed.

As to play mechanics, it just needed tidying up, explaining close assault and recce in particular, but in the latter case I suspect that case law developed over the big CWC games has covered that. Let me know how I can help, yours

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Big Insect

Thanks Ian

There's been a lot of views on Assets verses Attributes - same difference IMHO - but I take your point.
We as a club quite liked them.

I am not sure we'll get the Armoured Train supplement ready in time to be part of the printed version (unfortunately), but that might be one for the website as a PDH download anyway, maybe with an on-line specific armoured train unit calculation builder (fingers crossed)

All input appreciated

Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

T13A

Hi Mark

From my point of view the only thing BKC-II definitely needed was a clearer explanation of the visibility rules i.e. who could see who and when. Oh, and making medium mortars (3"/81mm) more of an area weapon rather a direct fire weapon. ;)

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

Orcs

1 Clarification of some of the rules. ie Recce and Close assault. They worked but were no written very well
2 Saves and hits when in cover. Page 20.  This makes a ruined stone church as good cover as a purpose built bunker. Also troops in trenches/gum pits with no overhead cover are as hard to hit as in said bunker.
3 Suggest that units hit by Artillery or mortar fire (plunging fire) get a -1 to save.
4 HMG suppression of Armour in early war - This was in BKC1 and worked well
5 Smoke for CS tanks and possible on table artillery. CS tanks carried more smoke than HE so this is a major omission
6 Fall backs for infantry. Page 21. Infantry falling back onto suppressed friendly units should force them back the same distance rather than being destroyed, or suffer some other penalty (ie two moves suppression).  The current rule tends to stop an infantry assault in its tracks. 
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Dr Dave

Bring back suppressive fire!

It was in bkc1, dropped in bkc2, then back in bkc3 - but only for tanks without HE?

Everyone can (and did) do it. Even rifle fire.

Why isn't there an optional rule like in CWC for suppression dependent upon "morale"?
Elite suppressed on 6, vets on 5+, normal 4+, raw 3+ etc. 

Genom

My main bug bear was always the Recce rules needing clarification.
As mentioned by others suppressive fire was also a good option.

Leman

There seem to be a large number of variables being mentioned (one reason I don't play WWII), so I think it needs to be made very clear for what LEVEL of game the rules are intended, and therefore what sort of detail can then be left out.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

This particular set can be used at all levels, depending on what each model represents, but as a sweeping generalisation they are operational level, using Brigades. Each base would then be a platoon. The actual strength of the platoon should NOT be taken into account.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Big Insect

Just to keep you all up to date

We've been working on the BKCIV draft over the summer - following extensive playtests that have included comparisons with both BKCII and BKCIII and - following a chat with Leon - we are now looking at it being ready for a Christmas (2018) launch (subject to printers availability) - exact date TBC by Pendraken.

We are at final stages of proof reading, refining the terrain system, reviewing the Scenarios and inserting all the errata we can find - even going back to some of the (much loved) BKCI items that disappeared in BKCII.

The plan is to get this all into the new BKC print format asap - in a draft - and then finalize all the cross-referencing, building up a much more comprehensive Index and integrate the revised lists in with the main body of the rules. Indexation will be (hopefully) greatly helped by having all the Optional rules in a single place - for example.

The draft is going to go out to 'peer review' with a few other clubs/individuals (ahead of the indexation and cross-referencing) - just to ensure that the rules are not completely polluted with Berkeley Vale idiosyncrasies. This process is being handled by Pendraken.

So ... now is the time to send me (via this forum) anything else you might have remembered that you think needs looking at or including or just as importantly removing ... or forever hold your peace  ;)

Many thanks

Mark

petercooman

Did you include the army list entries that were added to the online calculator , but were never in the book?

Steve J

Good point Peter. You had the option of selecting AVBCW forces with many of the vehicles being perfect for some Operation Sealion type scenarios or even being used in East Africa and the very early Western Desert.

Womble67

I think we're all looking forward to the release date nice to know it's getting closer

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ironduke

Any play testing/reviewing I'd be very pleased to pitch in. Just sold all my 20 and 6mm stuff to get a Couple if PD 10mm armies in preparation for some 'how to play' episodes on the YouTube channel so hopefully well placed to help out
2015 Painting Competition - Winner!

Womble67

Quote from: Ironduke on 12 September 2018, 09:24:47 AM
Any play testing/reviewing I'd be very pleased to pitch in. Just sold all my 20 and 6mm stuff to get a Couple if PD 10mm armies in preparation for some 'how to play' episodes on the YouTube channel so hopefully well placed to help out

I think Youtube tutorials are essential in this day in age

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook