Wargames Definitions

Started by Orcs, 18 July 2018, 12:53:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chad

Rules - A series of publications produced each year which encourages you to play the same period(s) in countless different ways.
Dice - objects that are designed to maximise frustration and paranoia
Wargaming periods - Can be of any length according to some rule writers (.see Rules above)
Competition games - A type of game that often has little relationship to historical events (refer WRG Ancients ).
Rule lawyers - Wargamers who will use the 'gospel' as written in rules to win games.

Chad

Orcs

Quote from: Chad on 19 July 2018, 09:46:46 AM
Rule lawyers - Wargamers who will use the 'gospel' as written in rules to win games..... And hung from their neck until dead!

Chad

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Leman

Ah yes......the wargames competition. That which bears absolutely no relation to the hobby I am involved in.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Orcs

Quote from: Leman on 19 July 2018, 04:50:43 PM
Ah yes......the wargames competition. That which bears absolutely no relation to the hobby I am involved in.

I will second that.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

sunjester

I believe you mean "hanged" Mark. "Hung" is something that is do to hares and other game.

This grammar pedantry is bought to you an no extra charge.

Leman

But it can be great fun. My pet hate is the singular noun with plural verb and vice versa, recently in overdrive, i.e. England are. In wargaming - the player then sets out their army (this is because we have to pretend there are loads of women wargamers - see definition of fantasy in definition thread).
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Orcs

Quote from: sunjester on 20 July 2018, 04:44:04 PM
I believe you mean "hanged" Mark. "Hung" is something that is do to hares and other game.

This grammar pedantry is bought to you an no extra charge.

:) :)

As long as they are removed from wargames society on a permanent basis.