Glasgow University 28mm Waterloo Re-fight 2019

Started by Westmarcher, 17 July 2018, 04:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ithoriel

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: SV52 on 18 July 2018, 11:28:13 PM
You mean you lot haven't heard of the great bricole bun fight?  As has been said a bricole was a thing used as a harness worn by soldiers for dragging guns or carrying stretchers.

Th great bricole war broke out a few years back on a well-known forum over the pond.  Posters got their knickers in a twist over the how, what, why and where of the aforesaid bricole.  Things got extremely heated, with each pseudo 'expert' pitching in to decry the opinions stated as facts by others.

Awful it was: Made Borodino look like a vicar's tea party.

paulr

Malbork

QuoteAn absolute nerd-fest, the anoraks will be three deep "that chappie, third regiment from the left, second line has the 1806 uniform, tut tut, this kind of mis-informed sloppiness spoils the whole weekend for me".

Sad to say, that absolutely hits the spot :(

fsn

The answer is "of course, you won't know unless you've really studied the battle, but that would be Jean-Albert, who was captured at Maida and was returned from the hulks just in time to rejoin with his regiment. Poor soul hadn't had time to change. Quite a well known character amongt Waterloo scholars is Jean-Albert."  
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

cameronian

Its for charity you miserable b*stards, get off your dung hill and stop picking your sores.
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

jimduncanuk

Quote from: cameronian on 20 July 2018, 11:43:47 AM
Its for charity you miserable b*stards, get off your dung hill and stop picking your sores.
Well said that man.
My Ego forbids a signature.

Chris Pringle

Not my thing at all as a player, for similar reasons to the other demurrers

BUT

I'd love to admire the spectacle

AND

most importantly, if it gets some more people bitten by the wargaming bug, that can only be a good thing. Best of luck to 'em and I hope it goes really well!

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!
https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BBB_wargames/info
http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.com/

Leman

The response would appear to suggest Glasgow is in Scotland. Anywhere but Scotland!
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

jimduncanuk

Quote from: Leman on 20 July 2018, 02:44:19 PM
The response would appear to suggest Glasgow is in Scotland. Anywhere but Scotland!

Yes, I'm pretty sure Glasgow is in Scotland.
My Ego forbids a signature.

Leman

There is of course Roe Middily which is somewhere in America I think.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: cameronian on 20 July 2018, 11:43:47 AM

I intend to visit as a spectator and make a generous donation.

My feelings are a bit like the "fancy dress for charity" days at work.
Supportive of those who do it, but not inclined to join in the wackiness.

I've also joined their facebook group, and the guys who like that sort of thing are having a fantastic time.
So all the best to them - I'm sure they're unharmed by my private reservations about mega-games.

paulr

One of the strengths of this hobby is there are so many different ways to enjoy it :)

I hope they have a great time, but a bit far (18,000km) for me to attend either as a player or spectator :(