Glasgow University 28mm Waterloo Re-fight 2019

Started by Westmarcher, 17 July 2018, 04:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westmarcher

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

jimduncanuk

Will be a biggie no doubt.

I would like to get involved but this cancer scare puts a damper on a lot of things.

Still painting figures when I can though.
My Ego forbids a signature.

Steve J

I'm sure this will look impressive, but honestly it leaves me cold. I think this harks back to my old Airfix magazines that always seemed to include pics of massive Waterloo games, that were simply unattainable for a child. As a result I have an aversion to Napoleonics, despite playing some fun games with friends over the years :(.

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Steve J on 17 July 2018, 09:42:59 PM
I'm sure this will look impressive, but honestly it leaves me cold. I think this harks back to my old Airfix magazines that always seemed to include pics of massive Waterloo games, that were simply unattainable for a child. As a result I have an aversion to Napoleonics, despite playing some fun games with friends over the years :(.

I'd love to visit this or witness a moment of it, but like Steve J, the "Massive display game" leaves me rather cold.

1. This one's in the wrong scale, and as we all know, and tables will be crammed with "heroic scale" figures with no room to manoeuvre.
2. Having participated in a few with several thousand figures per side, my abiding memory is of turns dragging on for hours, and waiting .. waiting .. waiting, for another go at advancing my four units.
3. Rules are generally suited to a particular scale, and work poorly with forces much larger or much smaller than their designed size.

Good luck to the folk who enjoy this sort of thing.
I'm sure it will be an event to remember.

Leman

Quote from: Steve J on 17 July 2018, 09:42:59 PM
I had exactly the same experience. All those fancy uniforms which kept changing over the years, and so massive. I have still, after more than 50 years, only played one Napoleonic game and didn't much enjoy it. Thank goodness for Airfix ACW, otherwise I may have given wargaming a complete miss.  :o
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

SV52

Would be well worth seeing but share the misgivings of others. 

An absolute nerd-fest, the anoraks will be three deep "that chappie, third regiment from the left, second line has the 1806 uniform, tut tut, this kind of mis-informed sloppiness spoils the whole weekend for me".

For goodness sake nobody mention bricoles. :D
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Steve J

Neither do I! Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way about Waterloo re-fights. Given the amount of other Nappies battles, surely a bit of variety wouldn't go amiss?

Ithoriel

Quote from: Leman on 18 July 2018, 10:18:11 AM
I can't; I don't know what they are.  :(

I know what they are but not why they would be contentious.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Ithoriel

I am no expert but, as I understand it, this is a reasonable summary of the case

In times past, artillery men wore an additional crossbelt to which a rope could be attached. The rope would be attached to the axle or carraige of the gun so that it could be moved without having to limber up.

Both the manouevre and the belt were known as a bricole.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Steve J

I can now sleep easy knowing what a Bricole is ;) :D

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: SV52 on 18 July 2018, 10:01:41 AM
Would be well worth seeing but share the misgivings of others.  

An absolute nerd-fest, the anoraks will be three deep "that chappie, third regiment from the left, second line has the 1806 uniform, tut tut, this kind of mis-informed sloppiness spoils the whole weekend for me".

For goodness sake nobody mention bricoles. :D

Thankfully, we're not in the place where they'll kick off over bricole etiquette.

And don't breathe a word on the prolongs.

jimduncanuk

My Ego forbids a signature.

SV52

You mean you lot haven't heard of the great bricole bun fight?  As has been said a bricole was a thing used as a harness worn by soldiers for dragging guns or carrying stretchers.

Th great bricole war broke out a few years back on a well-known forum over the pond.  Posters got their knickers in a twist over the how, what, why and where of the aforesaid bricole.  Things got extremely heated, with each pseudo 'expert' pitching in to decry the opinions stated as facts by others.
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!