The State of My Hobby...

Started by SV52, 17 July 2018, 10:36:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SV52

Quote from: Malbork on 18 July 2018, 03:55:09 PM
Well, SV52, your post comes just as I am contemplating sorting out what was once the guest bedroom but has gradually become something of a dumping place for my hobby stuff, plus the coffee table in the dining room, the top of the freezer in the garage and the shelves at the back of the garden shed; I was looking for a recent order yesterday and just couldn't find it in all the chaos; Well, I found part of it but not most of it...

A good read, another incredible collection.
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

petercooman

Quote from: SV52 on 18 July 2018, 05:09:53 PM
Not convinced, wind turbine available for power (the bits are there, all you gotta do is build it) but no phone service.

Ok laptop it is then. Holds more books, music and can play cossacks european war!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fsn

18 July 2018, 06:38:22 PM #33 Last Edit: 18 July 2018, 06:41:17 PM by fsn
Quote from: Westmarcher on 18 July 2018, 05:00:56 PM
p.s. @Nobby: It's 'Augsburg,' old chum.   :P
I know, but for some reason it never quite comes out right when I type it.  :-\

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

I really don't understand all these cries of heresy when anyone mentions anything other than 10mm when talking about wargaming in general. Let's remember where it all started and how it initially developed. I began in 1966 and never saw a 10mm figure before 1992 - that's the best part of thirty years.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

fsn

Well I suppose it's because we're all now devoted followers of the Dark Lord, but even he, sorry He has dealings with 28mm and 15mm.

Truly, His ways are unknowing. 

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

Norm

18 July 2018, 07:28:06 PM #36 Last Edit: 18 July 2018, 07:34:20 PM by Norm
>I really don't understand all these cries of heresy when anyone mentions anything other than 10mm when talking about wargaming in general Let's remember where it all started and how it initially developed. I began in 1966 and never saw a 10mm figure before 1992 - that's the best part of thirty years

Indeed and before that, the terracotta bloke had a huge army in a really big scale or in his words  'the one true scale'.

It seems likely that budget, storage space, playing space, associates and health (eyes, hands, backs, necks etc), plus a little bit of what you fancy will influence scale and army choices as much as anything else.

Then there is the 'going beyond the point of return' argument, so you have so many 15mm ACW figures with matching terrain, that you can't now contemplate up / down scale changes because of the current investment.

There is an advantage in one scale for everything, particularly for terrain, which is potentially the most bulky aspect of our collecting.

I have always wished that I was one of those people who has that smug certainty that they have terrain, scale, game size, period and rules right and tight and have no desire to think or look beyond that boundary ...... but I am all over the place and see the advantage and disadvantage in everything. Everything is too big and too small, Everything is too small to paint or takes too long to paint, everything is either too complicated and can't be remembered or is too easy and bland, Everything I sell because I will never use it, I want back a month later, but at least I am consistent in being short of storage space! yes, I am quite good at that.

fsn

Indeed. I would love to have some skirmish sets in 25/28mm, but can't be faffed with the scenery. That's why I stick to 10mm, and can even skirmish in that scale.

10mm is a discipline that I actually can stick to - except where I'm doing air or sea and they don't need scenery in the same way. When I bought some PzIV's for my 1:600 Seibel ferries, I was soooo tempted to have another look at micro-armour, but I resisted O:-) largely because of the scenery requirements. 

Terry37

I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but I am an old guy in my 70's and played my first wargame in the mid 50's. And my first real game as we know it toady about six or seven years later after getting Donald Featherstone's "Tackle Model Soldiers This Way' Book. That opened a whole new venue for me and it's never stopped since. I am probably more of a modeler and painter than a gamer, but do love HOTT and DBN, so play a lot of that with the local guys. I started with Revell and Mongram army figures and models, but in the early sixties learned abut Bussler and Scruby miniatures so got lots of them. I also started doing 54 MM figures and that was my main interest for a good while as I never saw much fun in the WRG and CLS rules that required dozens of figures for a single unit.

After graduation from the University of Texas at Austin, I was devoed ot my career in Corporate America. However, I still kept actively pursuing uniform research and information. After retiring I was able ot once again jump back into gaming and locals David Crenshaw and Paul Potter introduced me to DBA and that was all it took. I have been devoted to DBA based gaming ever since. Foe m, i's perfect small armies but still a fast fun game. However, I must be honest and say I do not care at all for the new DBA, 3.0. Not the same game, so I am a dedicated HOTT and DBN gamer now.

And so here I am over 50 years later still playing with toy soldiers, and with not a single regret!

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

SV52

Quote from: petercooman on 18 July 2018, 05:57:15 PM
Ok laptop it is then. Holds more books, music and can play cossacks european war!

Have you tried Cossacks III yet?  The Scots are separate faction so scenarios for the '45 and Montrose are possible.

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

SV52

Quote from: Terry37 on 18 July 2018, 10:47:01 PM

And so here I am over 50 years later still playing with toy soldiers, and with not a single regret!

Terry

Good to hear from another 'silver surfer'  ;)

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

FierceKitty

Quote from: SV52 on 18 July 2018, 09:35:05 AM
The 'butterfly effect' seems to have been rampant among forum members over the years.  Compared to some of you guys I dont think I am as muxed ip as I thought I was  ;D  Marvellous responses.

How about 'Desert Island Discs' time?

Table and terrain a given.
Blk, Wh, silver, gold. red, blue, green and yellow paints a given along with the usual sundries.

1 Book (history or hobby)
1 Example of electronic medium
6 Armies of your choice

I typed this thinking I had a quick answer, turns out I don't.  This could take some time.

The Military Experience in the Age of Reason  Duffy

Espresso machine, with trimmings (great aid to morale when your centre's disintegrating)

SYW Prussians and Austrians
Republican Roman and Seleucids
Renaissance French and Imperialists

(I'd REALLY miss my Poles, Japanese, Crusades, Sudan campaign, and certain others.)
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Malbork

QuoteI really don't understand all these cries of heresy when anyone mentions anything other than 10mm when talking about wargaming in general. Let's remember where it all started and how it initially developed. I began in 1966 and never saw a 10mm figure before 1992 - that's the best part of thirty years.

Point taken, Leman and Norm. My first 10mm came around 20 years after first unboxing Airfix US Marines and letting the genie out of the bottle. :)

SV52

Quote from: FierceKitty on 19 July 2018, 08:28:23 AM
The Military Experience in the Age of Reason  Duffy

Espresso machine, with trimmings (great aid to morale when your centre's disintegrating)

SYW Prussians and Austrians
Republican Roman and Seleucids
Renaissance French and Imperialists

(I'd REALLY miss my Poles, Japanese, Crusades, Sudan campaign, and certain others.)

Duffy, geez, I'm a great admirer of his work.  This book choice is getting more and more difficult.

Coffee, of course!  Seeds and a 'how to' need to be included.

I need to get off the pot and get my choices down but it's just so difficult "I'll think about that tomorrow...."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Leman

The book choice thing is quite difficult. I chose Ascoli's because it is the clearest presentation of a FPW battle I have come across, but I also have some excellent books on Flodden and Gordon Craig's book on Koniggratz which was the first really decent military history book I read.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!