Hey Techno! How big can you get?

Started by fsn, 13 July 2018, 07:41:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsn

13 July 2018, 07:41:10 AM Last Edit: 13 July 2018, 08:12:08 AM by fsn
Dear Techno.

You are aware that despite my friendly joshing and blokey bantering, I am a big fan of most of your work. In Dave's WWI tank thread I opined that you could make a crew of 9" figures for him.

This made me ponder the Techno-calities of this (see what I did there?) How would you make 9" figures? How would your technique differ? Could you use the same green stuff? What would be more difficult as compared to the one true scale? What would be easier? Could Leon mould and cast them, or woud he need new equipment?

The thing would be about 10,000 times the volume of a 10mm figure, very weighty so you'd probably want to make it hollow?

So many questions. Thank you in advance.

Curious of Runcorn.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Blimey !

To start with, I'd probably make it with 'proper' proportions, rather than the way I tweak the anatomy on smaller figures to 'make them hopefully look right.'

Yes.....I could use green stuff, though it would probably be easier to use something like Magic Sculp.

I'm guessing that Leon & Dave would probably need to get some different equipment.....Though see below.

The biggest 'thing' you could probably get in a larger mould would be a 30mm horse and rider....So a 9" figure would need to be cut into mouldable sized pieces.....At this stage it could be hollowed out to save on metal.....and also pitting.

I'll probably think of something I've missed, in the next few minutes.....I may well be back, Nobby. ;)

Cheers - Phil

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Might as well go lost wax bronze Phil!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

toxicpixie

I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Leon

I don't think you'd fancy casting it in metal, it'd be pretty heavy and too big for our machines.  You'd be better off doing it resin I'd have thought, multi-part.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Techno

I think that would be the best solution. (Never even tried the lost wax process, Will !)

Coo.... whoever did the figures for that kickstarter has done a really spiffy job !
Sooooo neat and clean.
I'm rather jealous !

Cheers - Phil

Ithoriel

My favourite Cthuloid monster is Khurasan's Octopus God.

Fortunately for my bank balance, given cost plus shipping plus import duties, I have no gaming use for it ... at the moment :)

It is indeed done in resin.

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

toxicpixie

Nice looking, aren't they Phil? Too much money and too little time for me, though.

Ithoriel - nice as he is that Octopus God is only 15mm and doesn't much more than 10cm tall. He's cheap as chips in comparison though :D Their Tentacled Mass looks pretty good as well...
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Ithoriel

10cm is more than big enough given I have considered him for use as a Hero on Dragon Mount for Warmaster :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

toxicpixie

Surely you need a two foot tall "Octopus God" for that, really get across to the puny masses of 10mm soldiery that they are out classed :D

Ithoriel

toxicpixie

Oooo Matron!

*insert Sid James laughter track here

fsn

This is genuinely very interesting stuff.

If you did something multi-part does it have to be sculpted that way, or is there a time at which Techno's hard work is subject to a band saw decapitation? 
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leon

Quote from: Techno on 13 July 2018, 12:43:53 PM
Coo.... whoever did the figures for that kickstarter has done a really spiffy job !
Sooooo neat and clean.
I'm rather jealous !

I think they're all digital sculpts rather than traditional, so it's probably a bit easier to flatten things down and re-use sections of arms and legs for the next sculpt.

Quote from: fsn on 13 July 2018, 04:41:13 PM
If you did something multi-part does it have to be sculpted that way, or is there a time at which Techno's hard work is subject to a band saw decapitation? 

Both methods can be used, I've seen sculptors make the whole thing and then carefully cut it apart again.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Techno

Whenever I've had to do a multipart sculpt, I've made it as a one piece....Then cut it up with a jeweler's saw.....Then neatened it all again.

Cheers - Phil