wargamers anonymous

Started by Nirnman, 11 July 2018, 10:05:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nirnman

Is there any group for wargamers akin to gamblers or alcoholics anonymous?
I pose this question as I have, like many wargamers, many ongoing projects some nearly complete, some started and, some still awaiting my attention.
It is now July 11 and here in N Ireland, we are gearing up for the 328th commemoration of the Battle of the Boyne on July 1 1690. It's not we are backward, though some may say we are,
but we celebrate 11 days later due to the calendar changes since it happened, we also keep July 1 for remembering our losses on the first day of the Somme in WW1, Anyway, to get to the meat of my question with the recent release of the third edition of "Beneath the lily banners- the war of three kings" and Clib's wonderful LOA figures for Pendraken I can feel myself twitching with the attraction of starting another project Forces for the wars in Ireland. Is there any hor group that provides support to help curb these urges or, am I condemned to start buying more shineys and start another project which may get completed at some point or not?

A quivering wreck needing advice  :D :D :D :D

Ithoriel

A notable purveyor of fine 10mm figures runs such a group.

You are already a member :)

Hi, my name is Mike and I'm a wargaming addict .... it's been three weeks since my last purchase  ;D
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

FierceKitty

I have about a hundred armies, and I am still taking it one regiment at a time....
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

fsn

The only thing I think you have to worry about Nirnman is your deliusion that you have actually finished a project.

Remember what Leonardo da Vinci said - "can't you smile a bit? If I paint you like this it'll look like you've got wind."

He also said "art is never finished - it is only abandoned". Similarly wargames projects are never completed, they are only temporarily boxed.  stirrings for new projects are just the Dark Lord's way of saying "buy more".

Nothing at all to worry about.

Not a thing.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

parkerm17

I believe it is called The Sons of Larry Leadhead!   Are those cartoons still appearing, I wonder?   I have so many "projects" my wife now calls it "the P word".

Orcs

Quote from: Ithoriel on 11 July 2018, 11:05:51 AM
A notable purveyor of fine 10mm figures runs such a group.

You are already a member :)

Hi, my name is Mike and I'm a wargaming addict .... it's been three weeks since my last purchase  ;D

I am afraid Ithoriel is right

Quote from: fsn on 11 July 2018, 12:40:50 PM
The only thing I think you have to worry about Nirnman is your deliusion that you have actually finished a project.

You might be able to get treatment for your delusions- because that's what they are, but that just mean you have to accept you have not finished the projects and will need to buy more stuff for each of them at some point.

There is only one cure for this addiction. Its when the grim reaper comes to collect you  :)

Wargamer's Wife/Spouse/Partner :  I am fed up of these little soldiers, Its Me Or them

Wargamer :  I will miss you !! :)

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Orcs

Hi my name is Mark and I am a wargaming addict. It's been 11 hours since my last purchase and 10 seconds since I last felt the need to work out what I needed next.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Nirnman

Oh Lor what have I started?
It's now July 12 and the urge is getting irresistible but what to purchase first figures or rule set?
The worst thing is without a rule set to work from I have no idea of what figures I need or how to base them.
I have a reasonable knowledge of how infantry and cavalry were organised in this period but my idea may conflict with how a rule set
may treat them and hate rebasing with a vengeance (I'm in the process of rebasing my WW2 from single, so the could be used for Battlegroup, COC or Rapid Fire) to multi bases to work the rest of m mates RF armies.)  Has anyone used "Beneath the Lily Banners the war of Three Kings
I have seen The LOA groups 28 mm pics of units but in 10mm they would look unrealistic sized units. the benefit of 10mm is that units look more like the real thing, though I  suppose 6mm would give an even better look as it does with my group's 7YW forces then I haven't found a 6mm LOA figure maker. Besides, I have a few of Clib's LOA command figs I bought on spec and I love with them Any help would be appreciated?

Orcs

12 July 2018, 10:56:19 AM #9 Last Edit: 12 July 2018, 12:43:01 PM by Orcs
This is what you have to do in 10 EASY steps

1) Pick your two sides in 10mm, then buy two Army packs for each side. - that's your Starter Armies ( Note I said Starter armies)
2) Purchase some suitable Camp components x 2
3) Buy a few civilians they always come in handy
4) Buy some casualty markers
5)You can now look for a suitable rule set, while you are painting them up
6) Purchase rules  you can work out base sizes and how many figures a base
7) Now order Bases from Leon to fit in with the rules.
8 ) Check you have suitable terrain, If not Purchase or make suitable Terrain for your chosen period, location 
9) Realise you need more figures so order another half a dozen packs per side and bases
10) When all is painted look for a good scenario ....... and realise you are two infantry units , one cavalry unity and two light guns and one terrain piece short of those needed.
11) Repeat steps 8 and 9 and 9 ad infinitum

Note you have only finished this project when you have the largest army for both sides that ever took to the field on a 1-1 ratio. ( Just accept this and your delusions will stop)

FierceKitty

Terrain, Orcs. Don't mislead someone who comes to you in need of serious advice about the minimum necessary to get started.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

fsn

Mine flowchart is a bit different:

1) See a film/picture/article/book/comment of the Pendraken forun that piques your interest
2) Research uniforms, organisation etc. Although this can be on the internet, research is not valid without at least 1 Osprey being purchased.
3) Prepare OOBs and map to Pendraken catalogue
4) Purchase in carefully budgeted batches until all have been bought
5) Start painting
6) Make a "interest deflected" roll. On d6>2 go to 1
7) Finish painting.
8) Rules? What rules?
9) Make a "interest deflected" roll. On d6>2 go to 1
10) Make a "Dark Lord intervenes roll". On d6>3 Pendraken produce more in units in a rage that you've half started. Go to 2.

Dunno what happens after that. Never quite made it.

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

Orcs

Quote from: FierceKitty on 12 July 2018, 11:00:39 AM
Terrain, Orcs. Don't mislead someone who comes to you in need of serious advice about the minimum necessary to get started.

Well spotted FK

See above correction

Orcs

Quote from: fsn on 12 July 2018, 12:42:17 PM
Mine flowchart is a bit different:

1) See a film/picture/article/book/comment of the Pendraken forun that piques your interest
2) Research uniforms, organisation etc. Although this can be on the internet, research is not valid without at least 1 Osprey being purchased.
3) Prepare OOBs and map to Pendraken catalogue
3a) Purchase a couple of Centurions - Just in case
4) Purchase in carefully budgeted batches until all have been bought
5) Start painting
5b) Paint Centurions
6) Make a "interest deflected" roll. On d6>2 go to 1
6a) Check to see if Pendraken have released any more centurion Variants.
6b) Purchase two of each new variant.
6d) Go to "quiet place" with laminated Vanguard of "The Centurion" to look at pictures of new variant available
6c) if no new variants,  purchase a couple of more of the ones you have, after all 12 Centurion bridge layers may not be enough for the next scenario

7) Finish painting.
8) Rules? What rules?
9) Make a "interest deflected" roll. On d6>2 go to 1 on a 1 go to 6a
10) Make a "Dark Lord intervenes roll". On d6>3 Pendraken produce more in units in a rage that you've half started. Go to 2.

Dunno what happens after that. Never quite made it.

You missed the bit about the Centurions, so I have taken the liberty of correcting your flow chart to FSN reality

fsn

That seems fair enough.

Though 2 Centurions is never enough. Need a troop at least.  :D