New regulations on posting knives & blades

Started by Wulf, 06 July 2018, 08:38:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wulf

Not sure where to post this, but has anyone else heard about the new government proposal to ban the postage of knives & bladed implements to private addresses? It's supposed to fight knife crime - you have to buy direct fro a supplier in person, or get them delivered to a depot to pick up. That could have quite an effect on this hobby if it affects all mail order sales of anything bladed.

Hopefully someone knows what I'm talking about.

Ithoriel

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Leon

I'll have to keep an eye on this and see what they decide constitutes a knife under any new legislation.  There's a small scalpel in the modelling tool set we sell, but we don't sell many of them to be honest.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Orcs

If they introduce this it will be another piece of pointless legislation.  Every house has knives that can be made very sharp even if they not already. Even if this stopped thugs getting their hands on already sharp knives it would not stop them making them from other metal implements. 
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Techno

I wonder if that's going to apply to scalpel blades ?
If it is, I'd better order lots in the very near future.

Cheers - Phil

Last Hussar

I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Techno

Good point !

As Mark (Orcs) says....You can make a knife out of almost anything.
Are they going to ban plastic toothbrushes in prisons so that those naughty people can't make chivs, by filing the handles against the wall to make a pointy spike ?

Cheers - Despairing of Wales

Leman

Are we talking posting photographs to the web or mailing items to one another. If the latter then I wholeheartedly agree with the government. You want to see a kukri, sword or bayonet go to a museum and leave the handling of such items to the military.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Ithoriel

Usual political response to a perceived crisis ...

Something Must Be Done!

This is something.

Therefore this must be done!

Gods forbid we should have rational, researched, evidence based responses. :(
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

fsn

Quote from: Techno on 07 July 2018, 10:38:30 AM
Are they going to ban plastic toothbrushes in prisons so that those naughty people can't make chivs, by filing the handles against the wall to make a pointy spike ?
Is this another part of your life you'd like to share?
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Norm

It's not a problem, local hobby stores sell blades - oh wait!

FierceKitty

08 July 2018, 03:28:04 AM #12 Last Edit: 08 July 2018, 03:32:05 AM by FierceKitty
Quote from: fsn on 07 July 2018, 03:39:18 PM
Is this another part of your life you'd like to share?

Anyone see that episode of Killing Eve where Villanelle dispatches a fellow-prisoner using her teeth? More dangerous and under-regulated items.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.