Well done those chaps !!

Started by Techno, 11 July 2018, 09:08:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

For rescuing all those young lads, and their coach, from the flooded caves in Thailand ! :) :) :) :)

What an excellent job.....and so nice to have the media report some GOOD news, for a change. :-bd
(Apart from the one ex navy seal who lost his life....That was a huge shame.) :(

Cheers - Phil

FierceKitty

Hmmm, we've all given a deep sigh of relief here. Poor kids.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

petercooman

Quote from: Techno on 11 July 2018, 09:08:32 AM
For rescuing all those young lads, and their coach, from the flooded caves in Thailand ! :) :) :) :)

What an excellent job.....and so nice to have the media report some GOOD news, for a change. :-bd
(Apart from the one ex navy seal who lost his life....That was a huge shame.) :(

Cheers - Phil

Yes great news!

Wulf

One of the strangest news items I remember in ages, and so good to see so much coverage of a good news item. Commiserations to the family of the diver who died working to save the lives of others.

Those boys will have a different outlook on life's problems from now on...

Steve J

Yep, great news indeed, although tempered by the diver's loss of life. I believe the team were led by two British divers, who have yet to talk to the media. It will be interesting to hear from them to get their take on things.

Ithoriel

Heard an interview on the radio with the sister (I think) of one of the British divers and she gave the impression that the two divers weren't giving interviews because they didn't think they'd done anything particularly noteworthy and needed to concentrate on the rescue attempt.

Hats off to all involved in the rescue and commiserations to friends and family of the diver lost in the attempt.

An uplifting, sobering and humbling news item.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

FierceKitty

Quote from: Wulf on 11 July 2018, 10:19:05 AM
One of the strangest news items I remember in ages, and so good to see so much coverage of a good news item. Commiserations to the family of the diver who died working to save the lives of others.

Those boys will have a different outlook on life's problems from now on...
They're Thais - I bet they are already thinking solely about Facebook, mobile 'phones, what to have for dinner, and excuses for not doing their homework!

(My Thai wife agrees, by the way.)
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Leman

Well it is great news and puts a number of other high profile characters' antics into perspective.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Cave diving used to be one of the most dangerous sports in the world, I have heard when it started in the 80s it had a 1/4 death rate, then it went to 1/10, it now stands at 1/15000. A real shame such an experienced diver perished, but an amazing rescue none the less.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

jimduncanuk

It was a pity that the unfolding story was often swamped by some petty football news.
My Ego forbids a signature.

mollinary

11 July 2018, 05:56:08 PM #10 Last Edit: 11 July 2018, 07:15:42 PM by mollinary
It is a most uplifting and joyous story. Something which, at its start, appeared to have no outcome other than tragedy, and where hope seemed pitiably ill placed. Where all was turned around by professionalism , daring, and willingness to risk all for the sake of others. One man gave his life to save these boys, and will gain a form of immortality in Thailand as a result. People from all over the world contributed to an astonishing feat.  Humbling to witness it.
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

fsn

Quote from: mollinary on 11 July 2018, 05:56:08 PM
It is a most uplifting and joyous story. Something which, at its start, appeared to have no outcome othering than tragedy, and where hope seemed pitiably ill placed. Where all was turned around by professionalism , daring, and willingness to risk all for the sake of others. One man gave his life to save these boys, and will gain a form of immortality in Thailand as a result. People from all over the world contributed to an astonishing feat.  Humbling to witness it.

That, Sir, is a fine piece of writing, to which I cannot but concur.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Orcs

Yes it was really good news, when they went missing I thought that was it.  There are some very brave people  who while they may not think they did anything special certainly deserve recognition.

I hope it helps some people get their perspectives right - A lost football match pales into insignificance against the rescue of these boys.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

paulr

Quote from: mollinary on 11 July 2018, 05:56:08 PM
It is a most uplifting and joyous story. Something which, at its start, appeared to have no outcome other than tragedy, and where hope seemed pitiably ill placed. Where all was turned around by professionalism , daring, and willingness to risk all for the sake of others. One man gave his life to save these boys, and will gain a form of immortality in Thailand as a result. People from all over the world contributed to an astonishing feat.  Humbling to witness it.
Quote from: fsn on 11 July 2018, 06:23:31 PM
That, Sir, is a fine piece of writing, to which I cannot but concur.

Humbly seconded
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!