Tears of the Sun with Combat Patrol

Started by bigjackmac, 09 July 2018, 11:59:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_Guy

More thumbs up, Jack - you probably should be writing novels.  :-bd :-bd

The only other time I've seen old guys lowering their age is when they are talking to....oh never mind.
Sleep with clean hands ...

bigjackmac

Ithoriel - It's funny, I'm old enough to be happy to be called a child ;)

D_Guy -Thanks man, and... what???  :P :-[

All,

It's now 0930 on 29 July 1990, and Captain Stelosavo's TF23 is on the run in Nigeria.  They jumped into the country three days ago to save a Cuban Reporter and Cameraman at risk due to a military coup that killed the president and is cleansing the countryside of his supporters.  The Cuban commandos quickly secured the Reporter and Cameraman, but when their extraction helicopter was shot down they found themselves attempting to escape on foot to the border with South Leon with a slew of local villagers.  Yesterday they heard gunfire and made a quick side-trip to end a government massacre of more innocent country-folk, but the local government commander was able to get a radio call out for reinforcements, which no doubt was received by the enemy units pursuing the Cubans and their 'package.'  The Cuban operators pushed the refugees relentlessly, marching them through the night in an attempt to outpace their pursuers, and though haggard ,the villagers were doing a good job of moving quickly and quiet to the border extraction point.

Everything was going well until about 0930, when Tracker, walking point, called the column to a halt...

Overview, north is up.  The Cuban/refugee column is on the road in the south (bottom center left), having just exited an abandoned village, moving east towards a bridge crossing a nearby river.  They are less than a kilometer from the border crossing, which is up the hill (you can't see from this photo, but everything to the right of the river is a pretty substantial slope uphill) and a bit further east.  For you guys that have seen the movie, I'm hoping this is looking pretty familiar.

Looking southwest to east at the Cuban/refugee column, which is moving east, hoping to cross the bridge (center top right) and get up that hill, then off the table to safety.

Suddenly, word gets passed back to halt and post security, Tracker's got something troublesome.  Tracker comes on the net and points everyone north.  They take a look: a big, open, grassy field, with dense treeline on the other side.  But something is definitely out there.  Ryder comes on: "skirmish left," and the team moves as one.  Tense moments pass...

Ehh???

"All callsigns, stand easy, just a goat."  And then all hell broke loose!  To see how the fight turned out, please check the bog at:
http://cubalibrewargame.blogspot.com/2018/07/operation-tears-of-cuban-news-network-3.html

Last fight being worked on, probably posted on Monday.

V/R,
Jack

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Nooooo not the goat! You know he's the source of all evil as far as Cuban forces are concerned!  :o
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

Nice one, again, Jack . 8)

Cheers - Phil

pierre the shy

Your in game narrative is outstanding Jack.....after all our figures are literal representations of humans so why wouldn't they have feelings themselves?

Do you find playing skirmish level games that things get a little more "personal"?

I really love your table set up,  it looks very authentic....straight out of a movie set  :)

thanks for posting these games here, your reports must take a bit of time to put together. I look forward to the next episode...

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

bigjackmac

Lemmey- Hey, the goat has been present for all three fights so far, and all three were wins, so I don't think I can agree with your assessment!

Phil- Thanks man!

Pierre- First, thanks a bunch! I've worked hard to get my toys and tables looking a lot better, with the help of some of the folks on this very forum.  But I also know that some of my fondest memories of games were ones in which the men were were super bright and in whatever colors I had available, based on tiles or magnets painted brown, with buildings and walls spray painted khaki!

So it's all about the narrative, the story of little lead men under incredible pressure. I do believe this has pushed me further and further towards skirmish gaming, though I'll say skirmish gaming doesn't necessarily have to be with individually-based troops, it just has to be with few enough troops for you to keep track of, assign unique characteristics, and actually become invested in.

It's become my whole reason for gaming; I greatly enjoy it, and I hope you guys do, too.  It is quite time consuming, but it's worth it, and I'm still working on the finale, which may end up so big I split it in two.

V/R,
Jack

Duke Speedy of Leighton

The goat is the evil overlord who controls the bad guys, he sees all, controls all, but no one ever notices him, much like Moriarty!
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

bigjackmac

Dude, what have you done with Lemmey? ;)

Jack

d_Guy

I think Mr. Lemmy is being Satyrical.
Sleep with clean hands ...

bigjackmac

Guy,

Yeah man, I'm just playing around with Master Will.  :D

V/R,
Jack

bigjackmac

16 July 2018, 10:41:17 PM #25 Last Edit: 16 July 2018, 10:42:54 PM by bigjackmac
All,

Here we go, the last fight of the "Tears of the Sun" recreation.  Who will make it and who won't, that's the big question here, 'cause they're not all gonna make it home, way too many bad guys pouring out of the jungle.  Stick with me, this is a long batrep, long enough I probably should have broken it into two separate battle reports, but I didn't want to mess up the flow.  

It's now 0950 on 29 July 1990, and Captain Stelosavo's TF23 is on the run in Nigeria.  They jumped into the country three days ago to save a Cuban Reporter and Cameraman at risk due to a military coup that killed the president and is cleansing the countryside of his supporters.  The Cuban commandos quickly secured the Reporter and Cameraman, but when their extraction helicopter was shot down they found themselves attempting to escape on foot to the border with South Leon with a slew of local villagers.  Yesterday they heard gunfire and made a quick side-trip to end a government massacre of more innocent country-folk, but the local government commander was able to get a radio call out for reinforcements, which no doubt was received by the enemy units pursuing the Cubans and their 'package.'  The Cuban operators pushed the refugees relentlessly, marching them through the night in an attempt to outpace their pursuers, and though haggard ,the villagers were doing a good job of moving quickly and quietly to the border extraction point.  Everything was going well until about 0930, when Tracker, walking point, called the column to a halt, when RPGs came streaming in, wounding and killing several refugees.  The Cuban Special Forces operators immediately came on line and assaulted through the Nigerian government ambush, then fell back to check the refugees, but they suffered a casualty in the process: Rocky was hit in both legs and knocked out of the fight.

Ryder and his men immediately set about getting the refugees and Rocky ready to move, then packed them off towards the border extraction point while they created a thin defensive line, intent on screening the evacuation of the refugees.  Unfortunately, while they were screwing around with the refugees and wounded, the bad guys infiltrated in behind them, initiating another firefight with a salvo of rocket propelled grenades.  None of the Cubans were hit, but as soon as they recovered from the shock of the explosions they saw they were boxed in on three sides and massively outnumbered, setting the stage for a particularly savage fight.

Overview, north is up.  The Cuban line is in the field at center left, where the three cotton puffs mark the RPG explosions.  The road running southwest (bottom left) to east (right) runs uphill (you can't see in this photo, but everything east of the river is a pretty steep slope) was used by the refugees (far right) to escape towards the border extraction point (off camera to top right).  Government troops are out in force, with two teams at bottom center, one at bottom left, one at left, one at top left, and one at top center, with their commander in the village at bottom center left.

Yes, this is exactly the same table as the last fight.  In the last fight, the Cubans/refugees moved onto the table in the southwest (bottom left), then were ambushed from the north (top center).  The Cuban operators conducted immediate action drill for a near ambush, close assaulting through the enemy position, then falling back to their original position on the trail.  They checked the refugees and got them moving towards the extraction point as the Cubans set up a hasty defensive line to hold off the pursuing government troops.  That's where we are now.

The Cubans are falling back to the river, worn out (purple bead is showing Tracker out of ammo, pink bead is showing Zuma dropped his M-60 and only has a pistol) and shot to pieces (yellow beads are wounds, Aarby has one and Zuma has two).  To read the batrep, please check the blog at:
http://cubalibrewargame.blogspot.com/2018/07/operation-tears-of-cuban-news-network-4.html

Wow, what a fight!  What a set of fights, actually, that was a tremendous amount of fun.  I had a great time, and I hope you did, too.  Combat Patrol proved up to the task, and if you haven't seen the movie previously, you pretty much have now, as my little operation went almost exactly as the movie did (unlike when I tried to do the movie "Lone Survivor" and didn't even end up with one survivor...).

So that ties this up, not sure what's up next.  I really want/need to get over to WWII, to Kampfgruppe Klink, to finish up the Fall of France, but lots of other ideas/projects clouding up my time and judgement ;)  Stay tuned, something cool will happen, I promise.

V/R,
Jack

Techno

Excellent, Jack...and I've only managed to get half way through it, so far.
(I'll be back.)

Cheers - Phil

Duke Speedy of Leighton

bigjackmac

Thanks guys, and hurry up Phil!

V/R,
Jack