Tears of the Sun with Combat Patrol

Started by bigjackmac, 09 July 2018, 11:59:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigjackmac

All,

Here's something I wanted to do for a long time, finally gotten to: a set of modern, Special Operations fights based around a team clandestinely infiltrating a war-torn African nation to save one of its citizens, then having to fight its way out with not only its citizen, but a whole bunch of refuges, too.  If you haven't seen the movie...  Well, what was it like growing up in the Soviet Union, ya Communist!?  Get off your butt and...  Actually, sit on your butt, bust out your Netflix account, and sit back and enjoy some cheesy, good old-fashioned butt-kicking!  Then get your laptop and peruse my silly batreps ;)

I'm playing these out in 15mm, good guys from Jimmi's Flashpoint Minis, bad guys and rescue from Rebel Minis, and other refugees from Peter Pig.  I'm using Buck Surdu's "Combat Patrol" rules, which are pretty nifty and worked well for this size and style of fight, despite being written for WWII.  Really the only changes I made was to treat the SOF as being armed with semi-auto rifles and the bad guys with bolt action rifles (also treated the SOF as elite and bad guys as green, but that's in the rules), and gave the SOF body armor, so any hits to the chest were downgraded (a wound was a stun, an incapacitation was a wound), though it only ever happened once in the four fights I played.  So there it is, I played a total of four fights, staying as close to the movie as I could, though I started the operation off with a fight upon initial entry of the village when, in the movie, there was not one.  So the fights are initial entry into the village to find "the package," the assault into the village massacre they came across while making their escape, the jungle ambush, and the final pull back to the river and all out hustle up the hill (when the airstrike finally came in). 

In terms of my ever-growing list of projects, in order to keep my "Cuba Libre" alt-history gig going, I swapped out the US SEALs for my Free Cuban Special Forces, so please feel free to ignore all the Free Cuba/South Leon invasion talk and just pretend it's all US Navy SEALs if that makes it more palatable.  I played all four games this past weekend, working on the batreps and will get them posted ASAP.  In any case, here's number one.

Overview, north is up.  The table is about four feet long by a little more than two feet wide, with the villagers needing rescuing hiding at far right, government forces spread across the table, and the Cubans entering at far left.

The Cuban SOF Team Leader, Captain Stelosavo, who uses the handle "Ryder."  This is one of my favorite miniatures, and it still reminds me of Steven Segal in "Above the Law."

Commandos emerge from the lush foliage to end the unfolding massacre, close assaulting a government patrol (top left).  To see how the fight went, please check the blog at:
http://cubalibrewargame.blogspot.com/2018/07/operation-tears-of-cuban-news-network-1.html

Three more fights to come, I'll post as quick as I can, but they're all pretty long, so lots of work to do...

V/R,
Jack

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Great report, didn't know Paw Patrol had a militant wing!!!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fsn

10 July 2018, 07:42:06 AM #2 Last Edit: 10 July 2018, 08:31:08 AM by fsn
Wargaming as storytelling.

Great board as always!

There you go - next project. "Cuba Libre" - the novel. Or rather novel series. Then it would get picked up by a reputable film company (nothing afiliated to Disney - have you seen the new Star Wars films?)  and the blockbuster for 2020 will be "Cuba Libre!" followed by "Cuba Libre 2 - Ryder's Revenge" in which Steven Segal can play Ryder's father.

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

petercooman

bigjackmac

Lemmey - Ha! Now how the hell did you know that? ;) I was wondering if anyone would figure that out. Hey, I've got three young'uns and I've long ago run out of creative names...

FSN - Thanks man, but strictly from a monetary standpoint, Disney will do ;) And at this point, Steven Segal looks like he ate Ryder's father...

Peter - Thanks, I've definitely been working on getting it more "jungle-fied" ;)

Phil - Thanks man!

I don't know when I'll be able to get the next batrep up, maybe Thursday night? I've played all four fights, but time is at a premium this week. Having said that, this weekend I'm looking to get back to Kampfgruppe Klink in France.

V/R,
Jack

bigjackmac

All,

It's now 1530 on 28 July 1990, and Captain Stelosavo's TF23 is on the run in Nigeria.  They jumped into the country two days ago to save a Cuban Reporter and Cameraman at risk due to a military coup that killed the president and is cleansing the countryside of his supporters.  The Cuban commandos quickly secured the Reporter and Cameraman, but when their extraction helicopter was shot down they found themselves attempting to escape on foot to the border with South Leon with a slew of local villagers.  They'd been humping for the past two days when the sounds of gunfire met them as they crested a hill.  Captain Stelosavo, AKA "Ryder," halted the column and took a look.  Government troops were rounding up and executing local villagers; Ryder called the team together to discuss options, and they all agreed they couldn't simply walk on by, they needed to put an end to the massacre.

The enemy commander (top left, in the village) raises his radio to alert his troops and call for reinforcements, so Everest (bottom right) sights in his suppressed M-14 and fires.
He missed, and that meant more bad guys were on the way!  To see how the fight went, please check the blog at:
http://cubalibrewargame.blogspot.com/2018/07/operation-tears-of-cuban-news-network-2.html

Two more batreps to go, I'm working on them as fast as I can!

V/R,
Jack

Duke Speedy of Leighton

That ws a bruising fight, almost as long as a real Paw Patrol episode!
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

bigjackmac

The next one is a little shorter, but the finale is an epic.

And you never explained your familiarity with the pups ;)

V/R,
Jack

fsn

Quote from: bigjackmac on 12 July 2018, 07:28:45 PM
The next one is a little shorter, but the finale is an epic.
Ah! Takes me back to when I was young.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Six year old daughter!
Thankfully ours are dubbed into English accents! ;)

bigjackmac

FSN- indeed!

Lemmey- 6-year old daughter???  At your age???  :d :d :d

Should have fight #3 up tonight or tomorrow.

V/R,
Jack

Duke Speedy of Leighton

bigjackmac

No one believes that! ;)

I happen to be 44, myself.

V/R,
Jack

Ithoriel

As one a little over a week away from completing my 65th orbit of the local stellar object I wonder if these children should be posting here  :P

Then I realise there are those here who might say the same about me  :o
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data