Painting Competition Discussion thread!

Started by Leon, 04 July 2018, 10:47:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ithoriel

Frankly, I find it hard enough to make the time and find the mojo to paint stuff I want to paint. The idea of painting something that's just for the competition ... ugh!

Some very worthy winners this year and many others shaded out by the narrowest margins and all of the entries are ones that the competitors can be proud of ... yes, fsn, even the hedges !

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Leon

I don't think we'd be looking to put together a pack for each category, it would probably be easier to have a new category just for these special packs.  I don't know at this point whether it would be new sculpts or existing ones, but we could try it for the 2019 competition as an experiment to see what the uptake was like.  We'd pick out a selection of sculpts from a range and put them into a pack that we'd sell on the site for £1-£2.  

We could then do a different period each year, either using a recent range release or having a vote each year on what range people would like to see.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

petercooman

Quote from: Leon on 08 August 2018, 10:40:20 PM
I don't think we'd be looking to put together a pack for each category, it would probably be easier to have a new category just for these special packs.  I don't know at this point whether it would be new sculpts or existing ones, but we could try it for the 2019 competition as an experiment to see what the uptake was like.  We'd pick out a selection of sculpts from a range and put them into a pack that we'd sell on the site for £1-£2.  

We could then do a different period each year, either using a recent range release or having a vote each year on what range people would like to see.

A new category would be best i think. Just being honest here, if it was something that didn't interest me, or that i couldn't use in a game, i wouldn't buy it just for being able to enter. One of the main things that makes the competition so good, is being able to enter something that you painted over the year. Not everyone can paint at the same pace or has the same amount of time!

SV52

Quote from: petercooman on 08 August 2018, 10:48:31 PM
A new category would be best i think. Just being honest here, if it was something that didn't interest me, or that i couldn't use in a game, i wouldn't buy it just for being able to enter. One of the main things that makes the competition so good, is being able to enter something that you painted over the year. Not everyone can paint at the same pace or has the same amount of time!

Kind of says it for me.
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

paulr

Thirded

I really enjoy the variety on show in the competition :) :)

We all struggled to allocate our votes this year, imagine how much harder it will be when all entries in the category are the same figures ~X( ~X( ~X(
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Quote from: Matt J on 08 August 2018, 08:17:26 PM
Don't get me wrong, Phil's stuff is brilliant and very detailed and researched (just painted some ancient spanish - hanging rings on back of Caetra!) But they are dead on 10mm and show proper human proportions.
Clib's are amazing, detailed and also a joy to paint but are probably knocking on 12mm and are more in style of modern wargame sculpts which allows for more room for detail.
Also Clib's ranges have several sculpts will Phil will have 2 at best because Leon is tight  :D.

Well, I'll be hornswoggled !...I didn't know that Clib's figures were a bit bigger.  :)

Cheers - Phil

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Checks other members, nope, they're not up yet, ho hum, suppose id better do it!
Never mind Phil, size isn't everything!

Sorry.

Oi, who shrunk my coat!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Womble67

First off a massive thanks to Leon for organising the competition.

Secondly thank you for everybody who voted for me to be honest I'm a little bit overwhelmed by it all

Thirdy sorry for my late reply as I've been on holiday for 10 days

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!