Previous topic - Next topic

Matt J

2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

Matt J

Don't get me wrong, Phil's stuff is brilliant and very detailed and researched (just painted some ancient spanish - hanging rings on back of Caetra!) But they are dead on 10mm and show proper human proportions.
Clib's are amazing, detailed and also a joy to paint but are probably knocking on 12mm and are more in style of modern wargame sculpts which allows for more room for detail.
Also Clib's ranges have several sculpts will Phil will have 2 at best because Leon is tight  :D.
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

mollinary

I am not trying to rank sculptors, merely painters. It is a painting competition after all. If everyone had to paint the same figures, one would have a better opportunity to rate simply the painters' skills, rather than those combined with your own interpretation of  those of the sculptor. I am not trying to sow confusion (honest!),but simply to reduce the competition to something which focuses solely on the skills of the painter. Leon's Idea of having a set of figures produced solely for the competition is brilliant, and opens up the possibility a new route to vignettes which otherwise might never make the casting queue. 
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

SV52

The idea of set figures is interesting but may lack appeal if set in only one period.  I can't see an ancients enthusiast choosing to work on WW2 and vice versa.  It could end up a closed competition for many.  

Also as has been said, some of the figure ranges have been around for ages and no way match the splendour of the current crop, closes down the competition again.

Just saying.

Perhaps limiting the number of entries per head to one per category; if they are in the army section, same figures can't appear anywhere else.  Produce more variety?....discuss... :D
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Easy answer!
Seriously,  we have five mixed figures.
Ww2 infantry, ancient Greek, awi infantry, all turned to stone by a fantasy medusa, with a hummer parked next to it. Covers all the bases, literally!!! ;D
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

petercooman

mollinary

Perhaps one set for each category? Votes for preferred set, only the most popular produced if a minimum commitment to buying a set is reached. The incentive of them being in the competition might spur us all on.  I know I would love an ECW vignette!
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

petercooman

Quote from: Matt J on 08 August 2018, 08:17:26 PM
Don't get me wrong, Phil's stuff is brilliant and very detailed and researched (just painted some ancient spanish - hanging rings on back of Caetra!) But they are dead on 10mm and show proper human proportions.
Clib's are amazing, detailed and also a joy to paint but are probably knocking on 12mm and are more in style of modern wargame sculpts which allows for more room for detail.
Also Clib's ranges have several sculpts will Phil will have 2 at best because Leon is tight  :D.

No need to preach to me , just recceived an army of Phil's carthaginians with some spanish allies (heavy cavalry and celtiberians) and an army of republican romans.  ;)

Great sculpts! Will enjoy painting those!

Nick the Lemming

Quote from: mollinary on 08 August 2018, 08:46:36 PM
Perhaps one set for each category? Votes for preferred set, only the most popular produced if a minimum commitment to buying a set is reached. The incentive of them being in the competition might spur us all on.  I know I would love an ECW vignette!

That's a great idea. Little vignette scene for each of several categories (you could change them around each year too, so a WW2 German HQ one year, a WW2 British artillery HQ another year, some dug in WW2 desert Italians in a third year, etc). Packs with half a dozen to a dozen figures or so in them that could easily be used to enhance existing ranges so they'd sell outside of that competition too. Could even do some (like the ECW personalities pack / civilians pack) that would be perfect for objective markers too.

Leman

It always seems to come down to WWII, and I just don't get it. Does someone have a massive stock of khaki, olive and grey paint to get rid of?
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

skinade

Quote from: Nick the Lemming on 08 August 2018, 08:58:51 PM
That's a great idea. Little vignette scene for each of several categories (you could change them around each year too, so a WW2 German HQ one year, a WW2 British artillery HQ another year, some dug in WW2 desert Italians in a third year, etc). Packs with half a dozen to a dozen figures or so in them that could easily be used to enhance existing ranges so they'd sell outside of that competition too. Could even do some (like the ECW personalities pack / civilians pack) that would be perfect for objective markers too.
ay up, i've been trying to reply to the idea of a given set of figs but my computer might be oopsing
2018 Painting Competition - Winner!

Nick the Lemming

Quote from: Leman on 08 August 2018, 09:17:31 PM
It always seems to come down to WWII, and I just don't get it. Does someone have a massive stock of khaki, olive and grey paint to get rid of?

I just grabbed that as an example, since there's a WW2+ category. For earlier periods you could have an ECW vignette like the one with the preacher, a Roman testudo, an Egyptian chariot with a broken wheel, an Indian elephant with howdah and skirmishing footmen accompanying, an Austrian Napoleonic grenadiers storming a bastion, etc. 

skinade

ay up and now then , how exciting would it be to get a bag of goodies from pendraken not knowing whats in it (just figs/vehicles etc) for cash . Let pendraken decide what we get , same time , same post.very level painting field

skinade

ay up and change of subject . on-line crit of entries . them fantasy elves , wow , colours or what , both figures and base . And giess ww1 tank ,the mud and slush - yep

xccam

Not sure having 15 identical entries in each category will be as much fun as painting, and viewing, the varied collection from the 3,700 sculpt range Pendraken have. I thought it was great to see all the different sculpts chosen.