Painting Competition Discussion thread!

Started by Leon, 04 July 2018, 10:47:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mollinary

A rather off the wall comment, for those in power to consider or discard as they see fit!   As I tried to vote, I found my judgement being affected by a number of extraneous factors, like the number of figures being shown, and the quality of sculpting on the miniature chosen. Pendraken have been in production for so long now that there is a considerable difference in quality between many early sculpts, and the latest offerings. Perhaps there could be a new category next year, where entrants were 8nvited to produce a set number of a particular figure code, on a base of a set size.  It would be rather like Formula 1, but with everyone starting with exactly the same car.  And we judges would be able to concentrate on the painting and basing alone, without distraction.  Just a thought.  :-
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

08 August 2018, 05:03:50 PM #211 Last Edit: 08 August 2018, 05:06:48 PM by mad lemmey
Just looked at where my votes fell:
Two winners, everything else failed to place, completely!
Says a lot about my taste then!!!!
Considering I only really had two votes per category (well, I've got to vote for myself, otherwise I would get no votes), I honestly went with what appeals most to me.
For instance, the plane, that got my vote. It was different, and brilliantly done.
I nearly voted for FSNs hedges as I really liked them, but there were other things I liked more
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leon

Quote from: mollinary on 08 August 2018, 04:46:20 PM
Perhaps there could be a new category next year, where entrants were 8nvited to produce a set number of a particular figure code, on a base of a set size.  It would be rather like Formula 1, but with everyone starting with exactly the same car.  And we judges would be able to concentrate on the painting and basing alone, without distraction.

That's not a bad idea and something we could look at doing.  We could produce a small set of figures (5-10 maybe) that could be assembled into a mini-diorama, supply a base for them as well, and then pop it on the website in the run-up to the next competition.  As you say, folks would then have the same items to work with and the end pieces could be judged depending on what each person did with them.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

fsn

Quote from: Leon on 08 August 2018, 05:12:16 PM
That's not a bad idea and something we could look at doing.  We could produce a small set of figures (5-10 maybe) that could be assembled into a mini-diorama, supply a base for them as well, and then pop it on the website in the run-up to the next competition.  As you say, folks would then have the same items to work with and the end pieces could be judged depending on what each person did with them.
I like that idea. Be interesting to see the different techniques in action.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Ho hum, guess I'll have to use my hard earned cash to buy Korean War stuff instead! ;D
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

petercooman

08 August 2018, 06:43:15 PM #215 Last Edit: 08 August 2018, 06:54:12 PM by petercooman
Quote from: mad lemmey on 08 August 2018, 05:03:50 PM
Just looked at where my votes fell:
Two winners, everything else failed to place, completely!
Says a lot about my taste then!!!!

Well my votes mostly went to second places. The only 1st places i voted for were the winged hussars and william of orange. I got about 80% of the second places though.

The main thing is, i think i really like 'darker' styles of painting more. Over the years, i have seen that the winners are mostly among the 'more highlighted' styles. They are well done, but not always my cup of tea. Judging by your painting style Will, i'm guessing you are in the same boat as me with your votes.

Also, Looking at D'Hautpols army entries, i wonder, had he only chosen one of his two armies, would he have won the army category? I was a bit torn between both his armies, with one vote left .  Like Leon said in the winners thread for the army category: "First place had a clear winner here and then we had DHautpol fighting it out with himself for 2nd and 3rd!" .  

That's the problem with more than one entry, you divide your own votes! This is not to say that Rupert of Hentzau's army is an undeserved winner of course! Just purely some musing about the competition. (i was going to vote on his army as well, but i just liked the nametags on PAulr's army better so choose him)

Quote from: mad lemmey on 08 August 2018, 05:03:50 PM
Considering I only really had two votes per category (well, I've got to vote for myself, otherwise I would get no votes), I honestly went with what appeals most to me.
For instance, the plane, that got my vote. It was different, and brilliantly done.
I nearly voted for FSNs hedges as I really liked them, but there were other things I liked more

You voted for yourself?

I voted for your dragon by the way. You Need to be more confident about your own stuff ;)

Steve J

An interesting point about everyone starting with the same figures etc. It's interesting to note that there were a lot of LoA entries, most probably because the figures are superbly sculpted and have a good variety of poses, which makes them easier to paint IMHO. Ditto the AWI range. Allied WWII vehicles for NWE I think suffer next to German ones painted in 3 tone or ambush camo schemes as they simply look rather dull in comparison. Again Brits in khaki don't jump out compared to German camo smocks.

Steve J

QuoteFor instance, the plane, that got my vote. It was different, and brilliantly done.

Thanks for the kind comments Will :)

petercooman

Quote from: Steve J on 08 August 2018, 06:52:13 PM
Allied WWII vehicles for NWE I think suffer next to German ones painted in 3 tone or ambush camo schemes as they simply look rather dull in comparison. Again Brits in khaki don't jump out compared to German camo smocks.

I know what you mean, but on the other hand, camo can look sloppy pretty quickly. Maybe it's a risk/reward thing?

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Please remember, I have no sour grapes, just jealous of the excellence out there!
Hoped my Steamroller was different enough to win. Oh well!  :P

Matt J

Some interesting comments made particularly about the sculpts.

If I was to enter with a view to try and win I'd select one of Clib's ranges (and have done), yes the sculpting is excellent but so are many of the ranges done by Phil and the other sculptors, the big difference is size. Clib's are easily 20% bigger in scale than Phil's for example, bigger scale more detail, more opportunity to display ability. Then the increased number of poses also makes any base more dynamic.
and always, always only enter once per category!

QuoteAllied WWII vehicles for NWE I think suffer next to German ones painted in 3 tone or ambush camo schemes as they simply look rather dull in comparison. Again Brits in khaki don't jump out compared to German camo smocks.

True but its a painting competition, historical accuracy isn't relevant (or shouldn't be!).

QuoteThat's not a bad idea and something we could look at doing.  We could produce a small set of figures (5-10 maybe) that could be assembled into a mini-diorama, supply a base for them as well, and then pop it on the website in the run-up to the next competition.  As you say, folks would then have the same items to work with and the end pieces could be judged depending on what each person did with them.

This idea I like!  :D
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

petercooman

08 August 2018, 07:27:37 PM #221 Last Edit: 08 August 2018, 07:29:14 PM by petercooman
No sour grapes at all. Deserved winners. But it is interesting that we get to see the votes. Lots of entries with a fair amount of votes. Proves once again that tastes differ. (Wich is a good thing)

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Quote from: petercooman on 08 August 2018, 06:43:15 PM
You voted for yourself?
Of course. Wouldn't you? ;)

*hangs head, apples sackcloth and ashes
I voted for your dragon by the way. You Need to be more confident about your own stuff ;)
Awww thanks, appreciate it!  :-[

petercooman

Nope i wouldn't vote on myself. I only vote on the good entries  ;D

petercooman

Quote from: Matt J on 08 August 2018, 07:25:18 PM
Some interesting comments made particularly about the sculpts.

If I was to enter with a view to try and win I'd select one of Clib's ranges (and have done), yes the sculpting is excellent but so are many of the ranges done by Phil and the other sculptors, the big difference is size. Clib's are easily 20% bigger in scale than Phil's for example, bigger scale more detail, more opportunity to display ability. Then the increased number of poses also makes any base more dynamic.
and always, always only enter once per category!

So i can blame Phil for my failure? COOL  ;D   ;D