Painting Competition Discussion thread!

Started by Leon, 04 July 2018, 10:47:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldenBUA

Yesterday afternoon I put in my votes quite quickly, mostly based on what grabs me in an entry. Technical skill is only a part of that. It's also about composition, choice of palette and subject matter. So my votes may differ significantly from others. I don't think that there is anything wrong with this, as they are my personal votes. But you wouldn't want me as one of the judges for a painting competition.
Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.

ronan

Quote from: Leman on 02 August 2018, 03:11:23 PM
Same here. Particularly annoying that my phone takes much sharper photos than my camera, but will not let me load them on to my computer.  (...)

Did tou try to send them as e-mail  ? ( I used to do this with my previous phone ..)

Felster

Votes in - phew!

Can we pin the winners in each category down and demand they share their painting secrets?

d_Guy

Quote from: OldenBUA on 02 August 2018, 03:30:11 PM
So my votes may differ significantly from others.

We share many the same criteria. While I appreciate great technical skill in painting (envy may be a better word) the composition and basing details attract me more. I like figures and vehicles that have clever modifications done, I like painting schemes that creatively balance bright colours with realistic look. Most importantly I like pieces (individual or army) that make an attempt at story-telling or at least pose the question, "what's going on here?"

Poor photography that may obscure sublime painting skill does not hide the creativity mentioned above.
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Leman

Well that was considerably trickier than anticipated. The pre-C20th foot was particularly difficult, but now done. It will be very interesting to see the results. Ironic that while all this has been going on I have been busily painting 15mm WWI Germans, but the painting comp landed mid-project and I am determined to complete it an be playing 1914 in September.

I agree with the sentiment that it would be nice if winners would pass on some tips.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

skinade

Quote from: barbarian on 01 August 2018, 04:22:02 PM
I want to vote for Skinade Panzer IV but I really don't understand from which hacth the second tankist is coming from ?
Any bigger pictures somewhere ? I supposed it is the lateral turret hatch but something is bothering me.
Superb painting.
thanks for wanting to vote for my entry.the chap hanging out the side is the gun loader (i think) from the side turret hatch.Its a shame that we can only enter 2 pics because a close up would show the hatch doors open as well as the skirt doors.I must add that my camera skills are 1 in a million - not
2018 Painting Competition - Winner!

barbarian

I voted for you none the less. I suspected you knew what you were doing.
2015 Painting Competition - Winner!
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Shutuphippie

Votes cast..... there was some really great painting on display and quite challenging to pick my favourites in some categories

Good luck to Wveryone  who entered

I'm feeling quite inspired by some of the work on show and will be 'borrowing' some painting ideas 😁😁😁

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Sitting on the seashore at Southwold reading these comments.
Having already voted, I went with my gut, what looked great, ignoring backgrounds et al.
But that said, some brilliant entries that put my pitiful entries to shame! ;)
I live the painting comp as it allows lots if different people to show off their best ideas, and the variety always astounds me.
Thank you to the team fir putting on an official version this year. Means I don't have to organise...
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

Quote from: Felster on 02 August 2018, 03:57:24 PM
Votes in - phew!

Can we pin the winners in each category down and demand they share their painting secrets?

I would suggest asking about particular effects you like, in most cases I'm sure the member would be happy to share

There seem to be so many different approaches to painting that general advice can be counter productive
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

skinade

Quote from: Leon on 01 August 2018, 04:33:32 PM
I think it's the lateral hatch as well, but I'd guess he's had to place the tank commander figure on the hull otherwise it would look odd at an angle?  I don't have other pics of the entry, but there's a bigger model which shows the lateral hatch and the hinged turret shield:

i've got alot more pics of my entry that i'll post up somewhere on the pendraken gubbins after the results . that 2 pic rule i understand but aaagh . a figure/figures have front and back(and sides) . vehicles/command stands/artillery etc have front/side/rear/side/top . its very hard to show the finished article with 2 photos especialy when you have the camera skills of a brick like me

clawlessdragon

Votes are in. As a new member and first timer this was fun to enter and cast vote on everyone else's entry. As a fantasy guy, it was refreshing to view all the historical entries, and marvel at the amount of detail achieved at such a small scale. Good luck everyone, and thanks Leon for all your extra time and efforts to run this.

Leon

I've just got back from Claymore and had a quick look at the current votes and it's still tight!  Mounted, Vehicle and Army have all got at least 3 entries fighting it out for the lead so we'll have to see what happens over the next few days.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Geiss

Quote from: Leon on 04 August 2018, 11:37:53 PM
I've just got back from Claymore and had a quick look at the current votes and it's still tight!  Mounted, Vehicle and Army have all got at least 3 entries fighting it out for the lead so we'll have to see what happens over the next few days.

You tease!

Redstef

finally made my mind up on all category's. Once again a high standard from everyone and a few ideas I can nick  :D
"From each according to ability, to each according to need" Karl Marx.............I really need those figures

2015 Painting Competition - People's Choice!
2016 Painting Competition - 3 x Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 4 x Winner!
2018 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner, 1 x Runner-Up!