Painting Competition Discussion thread!

Started by Leon, 04 July 2018, 10:47:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SV52

A lot of incredible work went into the summissions and to the organizing of the event.  A well deserved round of applause for all concerned  =D> 

The votes are more or less immaterial. 

Hopefully the boys in Pendraken Towers will spread the word wide around the toy soldier community in general.
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

paulr

Quote from: fsn on 01 August 2018, 09:20:01 PM
Whew! That was difficult.

Well done everyone who entered, and thank you Leon.

Very well said Nobby
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Tarty

Hard decisions this time around some great work here.... amazing  =D>
"I can see the carrot at the end of the tunnel..."
2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Heedless Horseman

As a 1st timer, voting is strange! Difficult to decide whether to pick pieces for technical achievement...whether I would like to use them on a table...or just 'cos I likes 'em!   :o
Dashed Good Show chaps!  ;)
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

petercooman

Quote from: Techno on 01 August 2018, 08:05:57 PM
It was, Peter ? ;)

Cheers - Phil

Yes, just pick those that pop out right away. I don't look at the list over and over again, so doubt doesn't settle in!

Big Gazza

Some really stunning pieces have been put forward for the painting competition, well done to everyone. I will look forward to seeing the results.

Womble67

Hi all well once again the painting standards are absolutely brilliant, however there is a downside to that it makes it really hard to cast your votes.

So once again I wish everybody good luck for the competition

I'm thank you to Leon for putting it on

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

Techno

Quote from: Womble67 on 02 August 2018, 09:29:21 AM
..... however there is a downside to that it makes it really hard to cast your votes.
Andy

I should say so, Andy !!......Stroll on !!

Cheers - Phil

Steve J

It's almost impossible separating some of the entries. In the Army and pre-20thC Foot categories, it was hard getting it down to six votes, talk less of three! Good luck to all involved.

Techno

Quote from: Steve J on 02 August 2018, 10:06:36 AM
It's almost impossible separating some of the entries. In the Army and pre-20thC Foot categories, it was hard getting it down to six votes, talk less of three! Good luck to all involved.

Steve.....You basically took the words right 'out of my mouth'.....Unbelievable entries !.....I'm so jealous !
(Thank "blank" .....That I'm not just one of five or so folk who have had to 'decide' each category in previous years......and that all the forum's members have a chance to have their say.)

Good luck, all.

Cheers - Phil

mollinary

I found it quite easy, in most cases, to pick my favourite, but numbers two and three were much, much, harder.  Very high standard this year.
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

barbarian

I'd like to add sometimes that a poor photographic job isn't helping. Some entries could be nice but I can't really see. Or worst, between two similar level entries, one is on a nice background and well lit, the other isn't.

Ideally (not possible with an internet contest), all entries should be photographed by the same person, on the same background and with the same lights.

In the end, to make things even worst, some units have a lower technical level of painting but the overall look of the unit is really good (thanks to composition, basing...). How to decide ?

I went with my guts most of the time, without worrying too much about all this, so I guess in some cases, I would have vote for some others entries if I were to hold them in hand.
2015 Painting Competition - Winner!

Leon

Without giving too much away, it's looking very tight in some of the categories after our first 24 hours of voting!  We're starting to see 1 or 2 entries gain a lead in some categories, but the Open - Army in particular has got 6 entries all within 1-2 votes of each other at the moment.  It'll be interesting to see who manages to pull away and grab 1st place.

I'll be away to Claymore on Friday morning as well, so I won't be able to check how it's going until I get back late on Saturday night.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

ronan

Quote from: barbarian on 02 August 2018, 12:20:21 PM
I'd like to add sometimes that a poor photographic job isn't helping. (...)
I went with my guts most of the time, without worrying too much about all this, so I guess in some cases, I would have vote for some others entries if I were to hold them in hand.

I do agree !

( Very, very nice jobs were done !   =D>  )

Leman

Same here. Particularly annoying that my phone takes much sharper photos than my camera, but will not let me load them on to my computer. Having said that, it is clear that a goodly number of entrants have a much steadier hand than I do and deserve the plaudits for their work.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!