Painting Competition Discussion thread!

Started by Leon, 04 July 2018, 10:47:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Nobby -- perhaps if you added a few tac badges, a radio antenna, painted your tracks gunmetal and dry brushed the vehicles you MIGHT get somewhere. (Nice piccies though).

IanS

Notice the old army technique, always find sumat to praise, no matter how bad  :D
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

fsn

Quote from: ianrs54 on 16 July 2018, 12:30:01 PM
Nobby -- perhaps if you added a few tac badges, a radio antenna, painted your tracks gunmetal and dry brushed the vehicles you MIGHT get somewhere. (Nice piccies though).
Not on the real thing (my recce troops have 4 badges on the lower hull front and 2/3 rear); don't like 'em on wargames models; they are - gunmetal, rust brown, dry brushed, silver;  it is, just lightly; (thanks).
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Felster

Really enjoying seeing the variety of posts coming in. Learning lots by seeing what people are doing.

What are people are using for basing? I found my usual sand looked huge.

Terry37

I am really enjoying seeing everyone's work, and some very nice looking figures and models too! I am finishing up the basing on my entry and hope to post it maybe by end of week.

Leon you are a first class gentleman for sponsoring this type of event. It adds a new measure of pleasure and enjoyment of the hobby. Thank you!

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

So, the mounted competition has raised its bar, better lower it for mine, which are nearly done!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leon

Quote from: Terry37 on 17 July 2018, 04:10:46 AM
Leon you are a first class gentleman for sponsoring this type of event. It adds a new measure of pleasure and enjoyment of the hobby. Thank you!

:-[  :-bd

We love the Painting Competition, it's always great to see what can be done with the little men we send all over the world!
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Womble67

The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

skinade

Quote from: Felster on 16 July 2018, 08:10:45 PM
Really enjoying seeing the variety of posts coming in. Learning lots by seeing what people are doing.

What are people are using for basing? I found my usual sand looked huge.
I use silver sand (from the garden centre).It gives abit of texture , mixed up with pva it turns into good mud , add abit of "normal" sand when sprinkling - more texture . a couple of coats of emulsion on sand flattens it out
2018 Painting Competition - Winner!

Geiss

Quote from: mad lemmey on 16 July 2018, 11:47:40 AM
For first models Geiss, those are great. (*)(*)(*)(*)(*)

Thanks! A lot of lurking here helped, and reading Andrew's 10mm website.

Steve J

Well first off some great entries already :).

Now for the bad news. Had plenty of plans for the comp, then work went ballistic with an internal move, plus the on going saga of trying to get support for our son with special needs. Just as there was some light on the horizon, I cut my hand open as it got caught between a bench I was moving and a cast iron column!!! So off to A&E where they glued it shut, only for it to open up again :(. Now on the mend but difficult to paint with one and a bit hands.

Still there's still time and I'm off for the rest of the week, so you never know...

fsn

Ow!Ow!Ow!Ow!Ow!OW!Ow!Ow!Ow!oW!Ow!Ow!Ow!Ow!Ow!Ow!

Ow!

Get better soon.

Big question: will you get a cool scar?
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Steve J

Thanks FSN. Not sure it will be a good scar, but you never know...

Shutuphippie

17 July 2018, 10:38:45 PM #43 Last Edit: 17 July 2018, 10:42:24 PM by Shutuphippie
Redstef your combined Grenadiers in the pre-20th century foot are inspirational

The command base in the single base category is also incredible 😁
2018 Painting Competition - Winner!

Leon

Quote from: Steve J on 17 July 2018, 09:38:42 PM
Now for the bad news. Had plenty of plans for the comp, then work went ballistic with an internal move, plus the on going saga of trying to get support for our son with special needs. Just as there was some light on the horizon, I cut my hand open as it got caught between a bench I was moving and a cast iron column!!! So off to A&E where they glued it shut, only for it to open up again :(. Now on the mend but difficult to paint with one and a bit hands.

Sorry to hear about the hand Steve, I hope it heals up quickly. 
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!