Painting Competition Discussion thread!

Started by Leon, 04 July 2018, 10:47:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

Quote from: clawlessdragon on 11 July 2018, 12:51:21 PM
thanks for the help - I was just signing in this lunchtime to fix it, but you managed to do it for me :)

No worries, good luck!
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

TheGamingArtisan

Awesome job! I love the blending on the bows and the flock mix you've used!  :)

Leman

Nice to see that the invisible gnomes have gone and something substantial has replaced them.they really are very nice indeed Clawless.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Zippee

Quote from: DHautpol on 11 July 2018, 10:38:13 AM
I particularly like the effect Zippee has achieved on the helmets of his ECW cavalry; would that be something like gunmetal base with silver highlights?

it's actually panzer grey with a gunmetal highlight - full details as below (Cote d'arms):

UNDERCOAT WHITE
223   HT Chestnut   Horse     216 Negro   211 Light Grey
212   Dark Grey   Bridle
214   Flesh   Muzzle                                           212 Dark Grey
211   Light Grey   Blaze, socks                           101 White
216   Negro   Mane, tail           504 Panzer Grey   101 White
216   Negro   Hooves
232   Bronze   Bridle fittings
524   Tan Earth   Base

504   Panzer Grey   Armour
211   Light Grey   Collar, Coat, Breeches, Sash, Buff Coat, Gauntlets, Belts, Flesh
V   UNIFORM   Coat, Breeches
V   ACCENT   Hanging Sleeves, Trumpet Banner
105   Flame Orange   Sash, (Parliament)
104   Blood Red   Sash, (Royalist)
221   HT Dun   Buff Coat, Standard Shaft
228   Buff   Gauntlets, Belts, Bags
529   Beige   Flesh
235   HT Brown   Hair
150   Shadow Grey   Saddle Blanket
212   Dark Grey   Hat, Boots, Scabbard, Holsters
504   Panzer Grey   Powder Flask, Helmet, Standard Head, Pistol Barrel, Sword Blade
211   Light Grey   Feathers

HIGHLIGHTS
214   Flesh   Flesh
228   Buff   Buff Coat
233   Linen   Gauntlets, Belts, Bags
101   White   Collar
V   UNIFORM   Coat, Breeches
V   ACCENT   Hanging Sleeves, Trumpet Banner
215   Oriental Flesh   Sash (Parliament)
147   Burnt Orange   Sash (Royalist)
231   Mid Grey   Saddle Blanket
525   Uniform Grey   Hat, Boots, Scabbard, Holsters
142   Gunmetal   Powder Flask, Helmet, Armour, Standard Head, Pistol Barrel, Sword Blade
220   Silver   Standard Head, Sword Blade
232   Bronze   Sword Hilt, Pistol Lock, Trumpet, Trumpet Banner Frings, Stirrups

BLACK INK WASH

UNIFORM COLOURS
Unit            No   Base Colour   No   Highlight
Red           104   Blood Red           147   Burnt Orange
Tawny   147   Burnt Orange   105   Flame Orange
Green   209   Dark Green   208   Grass Green
Blue           207   Dark Blue           206   Light Blue
Grey           231   Mid Grey           211   Light Grey

Felster

Hello all!

Thought I'd try my hand with my Napoleonics. Lots of scarily good painting about, but always fun to see other people's armies.

Foot and army entered from my collection, painted over the last year. Mounted painted on spec, far beyond what I'd usually do but a good challenge to stretch the medium.

Leon

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

skinade

rupert of hentzagheh. love the movement in that cavalry general
2018 Painting Competition - Winner!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Great entries today, what little chance I had is evaporating quicker than a spilled pint in this weather!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

There really are a lot of totally brilliant entries in 'the mix' already....I'm jealous, again. (I thought I was really good painter  in times gone by....Not now !)

I'm looking forward to the voting, this year......and the way it's going to happen.

For those who want to know....The way I've done it in previous years (with the five or so other judges) is to mark each entry out of 10, as they come in.....(No-One EVER gets a 10....'cos then I've got nowhere to go.)

THEN I try and separate the entries that have all got the same score.....and it's almost impossible, a lot of the time...and say.....OK....Entry 'X' gets my vote.

Cheers - Phil

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

I really like Redstef and Sutuphippie's diorama approach to their bases, and I particularly like Shutuphippie's base size and shape.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Shutuphippie

Cheers Leman 😁

There are some really fab units  submitted to the competition.

I'm really looming forward to voting

10mm is such a fab scale
2018 Painting Competition - Winner!

petercooman

Got my ACW cavalry painted and put them in!

So far the competition is doing ok for getting the painting mojo up! But have been painting 28's for a  while, and returning to 10mm really showed me my eyesight is NOT getting better. Getting my new set of glasses this week!

steve_holmes_11

Stuff like this is always a 2 edged sword for me.

I personally myself could never manage such a job, and my first instincy is to feel somewhat intimidated.

That soon gives way to admiration for the chaps (and chappees) with steadier hands, finer brushes and sharper eyes who can manage such wonders.
I share that admiration with the sculptors and casters who create the base items.
Well done all, take a seat at the Valhalla of people I admire.

Not quite up there with the Thailand cave rescuers.
Perhaps a step behind the plucky Gareth Southgate and his jolly band os Harrys, Jordans, Dannys and Kierans.
But certainly among the third tier of skiled people I admire.

=D> =D> =D>

Duke Speedy of Leighton

For first models Geiss, those are great. (*)(*)(*)(*)(*)
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner