Post WW2 rules sets

Started by nemesisuk, 04 July 2018, 08:00:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nemesisuk

I was wondering if anyone knows of any good rules sets for doing post WW2 battles - Korea onwards.
Primarily I am after a quick play rules set, doable in about 3 hours  :o

I am quite keen to start getting some Pendraken figures, but I need to find a good rule set first before I started the investment and painting time.

Thanks in advance

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Duke Speedy of Leighton

And the author often pops up here...
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Steve J

Cold War Commander gets my vote. Oh and welcome on board :)

Womble67

Cold War Commander for me to

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

pierre the shy

Welcome to the forum  :)

Really depends on what sort of scale of actions are you looking at.....skirmish, company,battalion or brigade sized battles? Theres a lot of choices out there.

For brigade level+ stuff our group had found Spearhead (probably better for Korean War era as mainly WW2 equipment still in use) or Modern Spearhead gives a good game that can be played out in a afternoon or evening session.
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Cold War Commander,  Battlegrouop Modern Rules - the free ones via the yahoo group, the unofficial Northag playtest set - modern version of Battlegroup Kursk.

Depends on what you want CWC will give you an "operational" set, rest of them tactical Battalion level

If you are looking for asymmetric skirmishes them Force on Force and Black Ops both give a good game.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Chris Pringle

As Pierre says, it depends what level of game you're looking for. If you want several battalions on the table you might consider Fistful of TOWs:
http://fft3.com/

It fits your spec as far as the quick play is concerned, and the few times I tried it I liked it; it makes for a fun and fast-moving game.

Chris

nemesisuk

Thanks for your replies.

As far as the level or scale of the game, the only consideration is the size of board available to us at our club which is 6' x 4'.
The main consideration is being able to play to a conclusion or reasonable conclusion in about 3 hours.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

In that case, Sabresquadron.

Sunray

Quote from: nemesisuk on 04 July 2018, 08:00:10 PM
I was wondering if anyone knows of any good rules sets for doing post WW2 battles - Korea onwards.
Primarily I am after a quick play rules set, doable in about 3 hours  :o

I am quite keen to start getting some Pendraken figures, but I need to find a good rule set first before I started the investment and painting time.

Thanks in advance

First welcome to the forum.  Rumour Control can confirm that a downloadable set of Korea (BKC +1) is planned soon.