Guess which battle this is!

Started by Chris Pringle, 03 July 2018, 08:06:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Pringle

(Apologies for cross-posting - I thought this was too interesting and fun not to share with my Pendraken Forum friends as well as the various other places I've posted it.)

Can you guess which battle this is?

It is mid-June. The continent is in turmoil. Nineteenth-century Europe's crowned heads are combining to crush an upstart; their overwhelming forces are converging on a defiant nation-state. The latter's commander-in-chief decides to exploit his central position and interior lines to defeat his foes in detail. He plans to attack the enemy army to his northwest before that arriving from the northeast can join it.

He has the advantage of surprise. Unfortunately, some of his most trusted lieutenants from previous campaigns are no longer with him; his new subordinates are gallant but promoted to unfamiliar roles, their actions are indecisive and uncoordinated; soggy ground hampers his advance. Part of the enemy army fights an initial delaying action, one of his corps fails to reach the battlefield in time, and surprise is lost.

Still, the dice are cast and the battle must be fought. He attacks the enemy army, but again, part of his force is on a wild goose chase and ineffective. His climactic assault is pressed hard but cannot break the enemy. The first troops of the enemy's ally arrive and turn the tide, he is forced to turn from attack to defence. A rocket battery plays a cameo role. Enemy numbers are now too great, the battle is lost, and his army reels back, defeated.

Have you guessed yet? To see the answer, visit my blog here:
http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.com/2018/07/guess-which-battle-this-is.html

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!
https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BBB_wargames/info

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

toxicpixie

Knowing what you've been working on I guessed the correct war, but then getting the "new file uploaded" on the BBB group tipped me off to the battle :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

fsn

Well I feel I was misled somewhat.

I guessed it was so like what it wasn't that it wasn't that. That meant it wasn't what is sounded like so it must have been something else. In guessing what it wasn't, I was correct.  :D

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

toxicpixie

But...

Wait...

If you are not FSN, and I am not FSN...

Then who is driving zee bus!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Leman

Without looking I am guessing that it isn't in Belgium.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Westmarcher

Fascinating parallel. Somehow felt it was not what I thought it would be but, having said that, would never have got it in a month of Sundays.   :-[
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Chris Pringle

Quote from: toxicpixie on 03 July 2018, 09:45:06 AM
Knowing what you've been working on I guessed the correct war, but then getting the "new file uploaded" on the BBB group tipped me off to the battle :D
Alert detective work!

Everyone who recognized the Belgium parallel but realised it was too obvious gets a point anyway.  :)

Viszontlátásra
Chris

Leman

Huzzah!! (rather appropriate as well given the context).
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

toxicpixie

Quote from: Chris Pringle on 04 July 2018, 09:19:57 AM
Alert detective work!

Everyone who recognized the Belgium parallel but realised it was too obvious gets a point anyway.  :)

Viszontlátásra
Chris

If I wasn't "pre-warned" I'd have guessed that little scrap in Belgium :D