What does you call someone in the Guards?

Started by fsn, 29 June 2018, 08:07:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsn

29 June 2018, 08:07:44 AM Last Edit: 29 June 2018, 09:05:13 AM by fsn
What ho, chaps. I'm calling upon the hive mind again ...

I work in the Walker Building in Liverpool. It's building with the North Atlantic HQ in the cellar - named after Johnnie Walker, and right next to (Max) Horton Building. Because car parking in Liverpool is silly money, I walk 20 minutes to a cheaper establishment. Good for the general health, and allows a period of unwinding before the tedious drive home.*

My walk takes me past Canning Place, home of the Mersey Police (and a fine body of chaps and chapesses they are) who, a few weeks ago engaged some school children to plant poppies in planters around the fence of Canning Place. To this, I was oblivious.

A couple of days ago, boards were attached to the fence, each one bearing the name of four Merseyside police officers who was killed in WWI. The fence seems to stretch on forever.

It is a family joke that war memorials, tattered flags or old servcie persons will cause me to fill up. It is said that I can be brought to tears by the sight of a Chelsea pensioner ... and it's not too far off being true. You can imagine then, that the walk past Canning place is somewhat emotional. First day I carefully read each board. Today, I still stopped to read a few.

Which brings me to my question. The names are assocoiated with a number of establishments; Royal Garrison Artillery pops up, as does the expected regiments the Kings and the South Lancs. There are also (to me) a surprising number who served in battallions of the Guards.  Each person was shown with their rank - "Gunner ..", "Trooper ..."; but for the Guards the rank given was "Private". I thought (and this is where I looking for hive mind clarification) that the proper rank would be "Giuardsman". I am quite prepared to be wrong, but I wondered if it was "Private" at the time?

You helpful comments much appreciated.  :)

The comments I'm expecting - not so much.  :P  

* Since the new Runcorn bridge has opened my journey home has been seriously expedited. This reduction in time spent in the car has left me with less time for creative thinking and so, sadly, fewer whimscial pieces on the Forum.    
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

Interesting one that, as I also thought the proper terminology was Guardsman. However I have only recently discovered that officially cavalry men in WWI were titled private, the rank trooper not being made official until after the war.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Norm

I know that at least by 1945 it was Guardsman.

Ben Waterhouse

Not in the Great War, introduced in 1920
Arma Pacis Fulcra

mollinary

2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Ben Waterhouse

Arma Pacis Fulcra

fsn

Thank you Mr Waterhouse.

I can now pay these remembrances respect unalloyed with the niggling feeling that they're incorrect.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ben Waterhouse

Arma Pacis Fulcra

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Woodentop, and it's not a ref to their headgear colour....
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Sunray

Bill Browns, Lilly Whites, The Kiddies, the Micks.....forgotten the nick name for the Welsh.  :)

Leman

Something to do with rough coated sheep isn't it?
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Sunray

Quote from: Leman on 29 June 2018, 07:36:22 PM
Something to do with rough coated sheep isn't it?

Naw- that's the Royal Welch and its goat related.   My mate reminds me that it was the Foreign Legion, as they were only formed in 1915, and 'first entry' was the transfers from the four other Guards.   Good question for a table quiz. :)

Here's a question - what Brit unit is known as the M4 Regiment ?
(the clue is in the counties spanned by that motorway)  ;D

FierceKitty

I thought you addressed a member of the guards along the lines of "Hello, sailor. Love the uniform..."
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.